Rule Machine - Get peer assistance here with setting up rules

When you setup SHM for presence you go to custom → new monitoring rule → which type of device do you want to monitor → prudence sensor… And so on.

I removed all of my family devices as presence sensors and I deleted all rules in shm. Mine is blank. I integrated life360 into ST she had each family member create a life360 account. I then use rule machine to set up the presence sensor monitoring rules for each family member like this…

Each family member has a separate rule in RM. Each rule sends a push message, some also include text messages, and all have announce arrival over the speaker system.

It hasn’t failed once since setting this up.

Never set any up using SHM…never even realised you could!!

All presence rules are via RM

What are you using as presence sensors? I’m only using our phones.

We’ve both got iphones which I’ve set up as presence sensors

Did you go to marketplace → add a new thing → coming and going → mobile phones and add your iphones?

That is how I originally did it. Then I set up shm to monitor then. I detected the shm monitoring as well as the devices in ST. Completely removing then as ST presence sensors.

Their response was more about getting a “baseline”. If RM is out of the equation and the problem still exists we know unequivocally it’s us. Now if you have a lot of rules, that.may be a pain, responding back to support and saying " Sorry, I don’t want to do that, can we try something else?", is totally acceptable. We wanna work with you guys, not against you.

3 Likes

I completely agree. Before the meltdown @jody.albritton and I were troubleshooting my problem of the failure to load smartapps. He asked me to do the same thing. I moved and 20% of my rules over to smart lighting, just the local running stuff.

There was no way I could possibly move everything. There isn’t another so that could handle the automations scenarios I had.

1 Like

I created a custom command poll(Weather) in order to refresh my SmartWeather Tiles 2.0 device. I named the device Weather. When I did “Test saved command on Weather” in RM it worked. However, when I created a Trigger with 15 minute intervals. I selected the action to run custom command and choose poll(Weather). However when I selected “On These Devices” I get nothing. I tried the same thing creating the command poll() and still I have not device to select in the rule.

When you are using a custom command, tap on select actions and scroll to the bottom of the screen. You will see Run Custom Commands.

Weather will show up in that section under On These Devices.

Yep, that’s what I got, but I get No Devices Connected.

@bamarayne

Using your hub and spoke method, do you sometimes have trouble with the hub triggering the spokes? Today my lights would not come on even though motion was active and I could see the hub rule change to true but the spoke remained false. Everything was correct and no override switch was active. I eventually renamed my hub rule to keep a copy and once I save it my lights instantly came on. Seems like a rename jumped started the process again.

Actually, just going into the rule and tapping done will jump start it.

I’m thinking ST is going back down hill. I’ve got some stiff acting flakey as well, but all of mine are having to do with the “off pending cancel” options.

1 Like

I was thinking of switching to the delay with cancel since at least for me I’m looking to cancel the entire action. From what I gather pending cancel let’s you cancel the entire action or a part of the action.

At least that was my understanding from the RM guide.

1 Like

I’ve been scratching my head for a solution, and can’t seem to figure it out…

Here is my scenario…
I have 2 motion detectors. 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the hallway leading into the bedroom. The light to turn on motion is in the bedroom.

I want motion detection based on whether I go in or out of bedroom. So, if bedroom motion triggers first, then hallway motion, that means I’m leaving, so nothing happens.

If hallway motion triggers first, then bedroom motion triggers, than means I’m going into the bedroom, hence I’d have the light go to a preset dim.

Right now my rule machine can’t differentiate on which motion is triggered first.

Any suggestions?

Yep, give this a shot… (make sure you either disable or delete your other rules)

Rule One - Hall motion
Conditions - Hall motion sensor active
Rule - Hall motion sensor active
Actions for true - Set Private Boolean: Rule 2: True
Actions for false - Set Private Boolean: Rule 2: False

Rule Two - Bedroom Motion
Conditions - Private Boolean: True, Bedroom motion sensor active
Rule - Private Boolean: True AND Bedroom motion sensor active
Actions for True - Set Private Boolean: Rule 3: True
Actions for False - Set Private Boolean: Rule 3: False

Rule Three - Bedroom Lights On/Off
Conditions - Private Boolean: True
Rule - Private Boolean: True
Actions for True - Turn on Lights
Actions for False - Turn off Lights

You didn’t say if you want the lights to go off with a lack of motion after a delay.
Let me know that and I’ll tweak this to do that too. That’s a little programming tweak.

1 Like

That works. Thanks. What’s the tweak for turning off with no motion?

Do it this way for lights off with no motion:

Rule One - Hall motion
Conditions - Hall motion sensor active
Rule - Hall motion sensor active
Actions for true - Set Private Boolean: Rule 2: True
Actions for false - Leave Blank

Rule Two - Bedroom Motion
Conditions - Private Boolean: True, Bedroom motion sensor active
Rule - Private Boolean: True AND Bedroom motion sensor active
Actions for True - Set Private Boolean: Rule 3: True
Actions for False - Delay these Actions: 5 minutes: Cancel on Truth change,
Set Private Boolean: Rule 3: False

Rule Three - Bedroom Lights On/Off
Conditions - Private Boolean: True
Rule - Private Boolean: True
Actions for True - Turn on Lights
Actions for False - Turn off Lights, Set Private Boolean: Rule 2: False

This scenario will only work if you come into the bedroom via the hallway. So, if you get up in the middle of the night, or in the morning, the lights will not come on. That’s a bit more programming.

1 Like

There is also @Mike_Maxwell Motion Manager app that I believe does this very well.

I prefer apps when they are purpose built for a need over RM complex rules. Too easy to get the rule wrong (for me) :slight_smile:

1 Like

R u having issues with delayed actions? Or delay pending cancelation? I just started seeing issues with rules containing these. Started yestErday.

Yeah, pretty much anything that had a pending action is failing. Everything turns on, nothing turns off.