Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

@bravenel recommends going into each rule and hitting done after the upgrade, this is in his upgrade documentation. He mentions that you may see anomalies if you don’t do this.

I did remember that snippet but for some reason I thought it was only a one time thing after installing the new code. I bought up RM and opened a rule to pull in the new code and just did the “Done” once.
Don’t give me the keys to the silo :wink:

OK. I looked through everything before posting this.

I cannot create a trigger rule because every time I add a trigger event it adds another trigger event below it. Then when I click done and try to finish the rules I get “Invalid Input for: Define Triggers”. It thinks the second trigger needs to be specified. So I specified a second trigger (just to test), and it added a third trigger event. sigh.

@jksearles Add the number of events you want, then click the back arrow. Once on that screen the event area should populate. If it doesn’t go back in and press done.

How do I delete this app?

Thanks that did sort of work. I’m not going to bother testing to make sure the rules or triggers are actually evaluated because I don’t want to deal with constant errors every time I go to modify something. I was hoping for something a little more robust so I’ll wait for a future release.

Also having the issue with creating a trigger and presence arrival not doing anything. Anyone have a fix?

This isn’t normal behavior for the app, on either iOS or Android. Yes, every time you fill in a trigger, it gives you another one – IN CASE you want more than one. There will always be an extra trigger not filled in, no matter how many you have. After you fill in the first one, or how many you want, you hit Done, and it takes you back to the main screen of Trigger setup, where you can select the actions for the Trigger.

If you are getting an error when you hit Done after filling in a single trigger, that’s not normal. I can’t make it fail that way, and I’ve tried. So you’re not doing something right, and this problem is not a lack of robustness in the app (there are some flaky things with the Android mobile app, but this isn’t one of them that I know of).

If you still just want it to go away, go into the IDE to delete it. My Locations / List SmartApps / Edit / Uninstall.

2 Likes

Glad it wasn’t me again lol. Is there a way to check if the door is closed before it runs the rule ? I set it up like that earlier, or so I thought. The presence arrival failed and then every time I’d shut the garage itdt open itself right away. Idk what was going on

Presence triggers is working for me.

Now that you mention it, they are working for me too. I managed to confuse myself on that one. Presence is a little harder to test. The best I’ve come up with as a practical method is to the pull the battery from a fob. But, since ST only polls periodically, I thought is wasn’t working when it actually is working.

I’m using a Simulated Presence Sensor (device created in the IDE). It allows you to switch presence on or off like any switch.

1 Like

OK, so I was wrong, and presence is working with Triggers.

Perhaps you should tell us in more detail what you’re trying to do?

I’m using a presence via life 360 in one rule, and fobs and life 360 in another rule, both are working as expected.

We were concerned with triggers, not rules. The issue becomes in a Trigger subscribing to the specific event. Who could imagine that “presence.not present” is a well formed valid event to subscribe to. That threw me at first.

1 Like

Might Have fixed it… i went back into smartapps and my apps and selected rule machine and selected done afterwards ( i did this on original install) and now it will allow me to set actions!

I have attempted to create a rule for my thermostat if lesser than 72 when i select actions for true and i got
You are not authorized to perform the requested operation…so i tried to remove from app and i get deleteObserver onError: %s

so i tried to delete from the Ide and i get there was an error uninstalling your smartapp
in live logging i get error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot set property ‘null’ on null object @ line 60

should i reinstall “Rule”?

Thanks

Anyone else using LIFX bulb with rule machine? It seems to be only changing the color of the first bulb on the list. Someone else reported the same problem with Smart Light.

You need to open a ticket. ST integration is broken.

It may have been because I added in “garage door sensor closed” into the triggers. I was thinking that would be a condition of it triggering the action. Now I see that is for rules. But I don’t see a way to make arrival a rule, just presence home or away.

As of now I’ve changed it to trigger being arrival of me or my wife. Action turn on garage door toggle. That SHOULD work when I get home today. It works when mode changes to night to close the door anyway

Is the only way to make it only go off when I get home and the door is CLOSED is adding a switch there? Then making a rule that if the door is open to turn off the switch so it won’t close the door when one of us get home if it’s already open ?

This does test arrival and leaving. Rules test every change of state of the devices in conditions, and only take actions when the truth of the rule changes. So if you have a presence condition of present, that rule will be false until the presence arrives, then it becomes true. So you get the same test out of a Rule that you get in a Trigger.

Here is one way to do this sort of automation – there are probably many ways to do it. Create a Trigger that is fired by arrival; that Trigger turns on a virtual switch, and turns it back off after 1 minute. Create a Rule with two conditions, the door is closed and the virtual switch is on. That rule will evaluated when you arrive, but only do something if the door is closed. Other events of the door closing will not do anything.