Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

ST is now talking about an upcoming platform update to resolve routine issues. I think either a great fix or great break is in store for us shortly. If they are like any other programming team I know, they want to release it today and enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow. Hope our turkey’s still cook in the oven tommorrow…!

1 Like

Small bug fix update: Version 1.2.3

Release notes:

• bug in disable rule identified and fixed

To update: copy code for Rule from Github https://github.com/bravenel/SmartThings/blob/master/Rule
Paste it into Rule in IDE, overwriting previous version, and Save. Do not publish!

1 Like

Now I have to contradict what I said yesterday about what happens. Nothing pertaining to a rule will happen if the system is not in the correct mode. This is a change in the code in the most recent update. There are many reasons for this change, most notably that other SmartApps with mode restrictions work this way, but also so that disabling the rule works properly.

If a rule is disabled, even after a timer is started, that delayed action will not happen. If the mode changes after a timer is started to a restricted mode, that delayed action will not happen.

I get an error in the IDE when trying to save this version.

Ouch! Typo. Sorry. I just fixed it. V. 1.2.3a

I just now copied and pasted the “rule” code and get this: startup failed: script1448467168529279958103.groovy: 843: expecting ‘)’, found ‘delayedOffTrue’ @ line 843, column 29. if(delayOnOffTrue && allOk delayedOffTrue.on() else delayedOffTrue.off() ^ 1 error

re-load the github page… typo fixed

Try it again. There was some weird glitch in Github. It’s fixed, just grab a fresh copy from Github.

It works now. Thanks Bruce!

Thanks Bruce… This is honestly an amazing app and I appreciate all of your hard work.
I have 3 minor requests:

1. If I try to add more than 1 Time condition they all mirror each other’s changes and just become duplicate conditions.

2. Can you please add the new Notifications contactBook configuration. So we can choose who gets certain notifications for certain rules?

3. With the rate you have been pushing out updates I really wish you would integrate with your github. So we could easily pull in the updates to the IDE. It only takes 1-2 minutes if you never set it up.

Going through the app. WOW! This should have been a no brainer release by smarthings from day one. Thank you for stepping up and filling in the BIG blank! It’s very intuitive. At least with how my brain works. Good job @bravenel

1 Like
  1. Read the documentation! Only one time-of-day condition per rule.
  2. As fas as I can tell contactBook is not supported right now. At least I don’t have it so I can’t write code for it.
  3. I will try again. Last time I tried, it not only didn’t work, it didn’t work as documented.

I’m chasing my tail and maybe it was all just yesterdays gremlin attack on the ST servers but…
I can’t seem to get the lights to stay on as long as I’m in a room with and go off with a delay after motion stops - sometimes :frowning:
I have a rule shown below in my garage and the light stays on as long as I’m in there moving around but when in the kitchen or the bathroom the light comes on and goes off after the delay even if I’m moving. This morning I was eating my cereal in the kitchen and 5 minutes later (the delay) I was in the dark doing the hokey pokey trying to get the light back on - it never did come back on. Is it me or ST?

You have to use Delayed Off, cancellable.

The documentation is either completely wrong, or the implementation has completely changed. I cannot set it up using the documentation, and I don’t know what I’m doing. So no go. I have tried multiple times, and it just does not work. Sorry. @slagle, some help???

In the meantime I think if you add the folder structure that the IDE uses to your current Repo we should at least be able to use in our IDE’s

So the folder structure is like this.
Repo Name > smartapps > namespace > smartappname.src > smartappname.groovy

SmartThings > smartapps > bravenel > rule.src > rule.groovy(this is the file)
SmartThings > smartapps > bravenel > rule-machine.src > rule-machine.groovy(this is the file)

Then instead of editing the Rule file at the root of your repo you just modify the .groovy

I am a complete noob at Github, and don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, or how to do it, and frankly, I don’t have the time to figure it out. I’ve asked @slagle for help, and I sent you a PM also.

Thanks @bravenel for the quick reply. That’s what I had before but I think yesterday had me guessing about whether my rules were screwy or the cloud - I’ll make sure everything is back to delayed off - cancelable any give it another test.

@bravenel I just want to thank you for writing this app. You have single handedly solved about 99% of my programing issues and problems. ST just became exponentially more useful with this single app.

Do you have a donating page? I would really like to compensate you for making my life easier.

1 Like

OK, Github integration is now live. Here are the links for Rule Machine (save and publish for me) and Rule (save, but don’t publish)

https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule-machine.src/rule-machine.groovy

https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy

4 Likes