Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

that’s a platform issue, not much you can do about it until they get the scheduling engine sorted.

Thanks Mike for the quick response. I will break up the rule and see if I can get it to talk in another instance.

I have several spoken rules and never seen that error, can you post a screenshot of your rule? I am using Sonos with delays ranging from one min to 30 min…

I would have to recreate it. I deleted it and created two rules in its place. Both are working like a charm!! The rule that was flagging the error used my Lux sensor to set the light level of my Hue Bulbs and say “I’m changing the light level on the bridge.” When the Lux level reached the appropriate level the rule fired and the Hue bulbs changed the light level but no audio and the error I posted.

Its working now that I have separate rules!

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I seem to be having trouble with the delay these actions (with or without cancel). If I make a rule, it works as expected. However, the wife will come and say she needs more or less time before the lights turn off.

My trouble comes with editing the rule after I have already saved it and had it running. I can edit all fields such as conditions, rules, triggers, etc. However, whenever I try to change the value of the delay it does one of three things. In most cases, if the number was 3 minutes and now I type 5 it just changes it back to 3 when I hit done. That happens the most often. The other two outcomes are that I get the red banner error that says “error saving page” or I get “failed to save page: delayFalsePage”.

The only way to change the time is to delete that rule and start all over, which isn’t the most optimal solution when the rule has many conditions. I had this problem before my problems/rebuild and now after so I’m wondering if there might be something coding wise?

I’m using Version 1.6.6/1.6.13b

Here are some screen shots of the errors…

Thanks in advance for looking at it. Great app!

Not much you can do, other than clicking done and going back to click done again. Most of the times works for me but is a royal pain. @jody.albritton said he is tracking these issues see thread below. Let’s hope a fix will come soon. There isn’t a way to code around it, that I know of.

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that thread yet. I’ve tried the done/done and going back multiple times, no luck but its more of an inconvenience than anything else.

I have an issue with saving 1 rule.

Its just a rule to turn on my water heater at 5am. I edited the other day to roll it down from 6a to 5a. Now when I go to click done and save it. It throws the red bar about an error has occurred and in the logs there is this

error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @ line 1088

Not sure what this is upset about. Thank you all in advance for your help with this.

Need to start over. I didn’t find a way to get rid of that error other than recreating a new rule…is a scheduler issue, outside our control…

1 Like

Rule Machine Rules! Having a blast setting things up, and need to order some more devices.:grinning:

Situation: I’ve started with controlling the furnace, Turn up the heat in the morning and down at night. Also turn down when everyone leave and up when someone comes how. But I’ve got a couple rules now where I put in the temperature I want on the thermostat. I hate hard coding anything that is in multiple locations like heat temp setting. Thought I could define a rule to just set the temp on the thermostat to 70, just execute it from another rule, but couldn’t find that ability.
Questions:

1. Is there a way to define my thermostat settings in one place… and just execute that rule when people arrive or mode changes? Of course arrival would also trigger Garage Door and lights, etc…
  2. If the above isn’t possible can rule Machine use variables? Maybe define key-value pairs that can be plugged into things like thermostat heat value, dimmer Level, illuminamce, certain time.
  3. now that I mentioned time… can sunrise and sunset times be pulled in?

And it looks like you need to submit a support ticket to delete the old rule. I have one like this, and @slagle mentioned that’s the only way to get it removed.

Not so, go into ide, location, click on Smartapps link, then edit (top corner). Then go to your rule and click link to uninstal.

Trust me, that is throwing an undeclaredThrowable for me… :frowning: I’ve tried that at least a dozen times… something got seriously wedged right before the upgrade.

I’ve created a duplicate rule (named differently) that’s worked just fine since the upgrade. It could be just a one-off in my case.

Yes, you should be able to create a rule with no triggers or conditions and just actions which would be your tstat adjustments. Then you can have any other rule process with the Evaluate these rules action and select that first rule.

1 Like

Oh wow, I am sorry, that’s annoying…

1 Like

You can also use routines to store global actions that you want to reuse in multiple places. I do this specifically for thermostat and mode settings.

1 Like

Ahh…Right! … I’ll try routines without times… manually they seemed to always work. When I had good morning setup to kick on the heat at 5:45AM… It worked for a while, then stopped. Admittedly after a weekend when I added devices and other smart apps… but even backing things out I wasn’t able to get it working again. it’s OK though Rule machine is allowing me to do a whole lot more. thanks for the tip.

1. As pointed out by @sgoncalves, the ability to link rules is definitely one of the powerful aspects of RM and eliminates the need to duplicate the same logic in two (or more) rules. A rule with no triggers never runs on its own, and if it has no conditions is always true, so…
  2. With respect to “variables”, you can use virtual switches in this way; say, one for “Warm” and one for “Cool”. I’ve got virtual switches that track the house modes (e.g., Morning Mode, Day Mode, Evening Mode, Night Mode), so I can trigger thermostat changes on those.
  3. And yes, sunrise and sunset can be pulled into triggers and rules (and maybe actions, too, I can’t recall). When you select “certain time” you’ll get those two as options.

Yeah I ended up creating a new rule which mimics the old one. I’ll just detach the old one from everything and leave it be. Thank you both @guywmartin and @SBDOBRESCU for your help with this.

2 Likes

Just thought of a different way to get rid of your damaged rule. Have you tried to delete it from the installed apps? That might work…

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/installedSmartApp/list