Rinnai Water heater now integrated with Smartthings! (Question...)

Ok, Looks like my samsung account is not in US. Had the customer service associate change the location on my account and then it started showing up.

Which app are you using?

Has anybody got this working? I got mine connected, but i get a network error when i try to manually change temp or turn on the recirc. I added it to a motion sensor automation, but nothing happens. Tried motion and a button. Neither works.

I have the same problem. It’s been this way for months and I’ve been talking to rinnai support about it for a long time with no resolution so far.

1 Like

Anyone have a positive experience with this? Curious to try this out, would really like to set up motion-triggered recirculation for the guest bathroom but prefer to do it through Smarthings so I can go with a motion detector that I’m sure is pet immune. I plan to give it a shot but if the integration is broken, would prefer to learn that know and avoid the sadly typical smarthome experiment wasted weekend.

It works for the first 2-8hrs after linking rinnai to smartthings then it becomes uncontrollable. Only way to get it working again is to unlink and relink accounts.

I have a open case with Smartthings, they had me do some basic stuff then told me they are looking into it further and will get back to me… hopefully the get back to me unlike rinnai support.

3 Likes

Has anyone figured out how to keep linking from expiring every few hours? Thanks

1 Like

I wish I read this thread more carefully before buying and installing a Rinnai Tankless Water Heater with the built-in recirculation pump (Rinnai RUR199iN). I had seen the press release announcing integration with SmartThings and thought that I could use a SmartThings Button to trigger a recirculation cycle, and to configure recirculation in my morning routines. There are two key issues with this:

1. The account link between Rinnai and SmartThings expires and disconnects as others have mentioned, and so that makes the SmartThings integration essentially useless.
  2. The SmartThings app does not have a recirculation function.

So now I will purchase the RINNAI RWMPB01 button to trigger a recirculation cycle and use the Rinnai mobile App.

It’s false advertising for Rinnai to advertise that its products work with SmartThings when obviously, they have not gotten it working in any useable form. This is partly my fault because I did not do enough careful research before buying Rinnai. I’m still hopeful that Rinnai resolves this and makes more features (like recirculation) available in SmartThings.

2 Likes

100% agree. I have been working on a support ticket with Smartthings and then got directed over to Rinnai as it’s a problem on their end. The ticket with Rinnai is coming up to 1yr old and they stopped responding to me to troubleshoot this further.

I really wish smartthings would pull the support for this device to strongarm them into fixing it as it is false advertising and is complete junk.

I’m going to be putting a boiler system in my garage in the near future and because of this problem and lack of support/resolution i will most likely be looking at a Navien or Triangle Tube boiler system. Even if these don’t support smarthings i don’t want to give Rinnai anymore of my money or support.

2 Likes

any word on this its been some time and still the re circulation option does not work.

2 Likes

I followed up on my 1+yr old ticket on Sept 27th and support said they will ask the developers on a status update… to which I heard nothing. I will ask again. Don’t hold your breath… All I know is when. I go to put a boiler in my garage it will not be rinnai after the 1+yr run around I’ve been receiving.

I followed up with my support contact and here was their response:

Hi Chris,

No I am sorry they told me that smarthings would have to contacted that we have updated the app and it should work if it is not maybe there is a setting on smarthings.

Sorry that is all I was told

Natalie Padovano

Customer Care Agent Level III

My latest update after going back to ST:

Suchitra T (SmartThings)

Nov 9, 2020, 12:27 PM MST

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your patience.

SmartThings is currently working with the folks over at Rinnai to help them get their integration updated/fixed. While we don’t have a concrete timetable as to when the integration will be finished, we’re hopeful that it will launch early in 2021.

You have been extremely patient with us and has been waiting for a fix since September 2019.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help out in the meantime.

Have a good day!

Regards,
Suchitra
Samsung SmartThings Support

this is pretty trashy… My wife is blaming me for having to wait for the water to arrive. I mean, the tankless in itself is GREAT, but this recirculation thing - I can’t even get into it to program it to turn on twice a day at a fixed time even now! And we’re not moving to a new place and this is just flaring things up because we want another tankless and the installers are also preferring Rinnai over Navian (And I think the heater itself, Rinnai is still better), but I’m up a creek trying to figure out how to get a recirc programmed into the new device - hoping the installers can get that figures out!

The Rinnai Control-R app allows you to create schedules for when it will automatically come on and i can load the app on my phone to manually start recirc.

I integrated Rinnai into my Google Home so i can ask google to start recirculation for on demand times. It has done the job for me as a replacement. Not the best solution but it gives me two options until/if this is ever fixed and integrated into ST correctly.

Unfortunately, I think this is more related to the garbage Rinnai has released, rather than something specific to SmartThings. I have the same problems with it.

I always thought if there is a way to put a relay or something internal the the heater that can trigger the circulation pump. Maybe we can do something external from the control-r unit and use an esp8266/mqtt to trigger controls.

Honestly all I want out of this is to control the recirculation whenever I want with convenience.

Maybe someone could find a schematic of the wiring to accomplish this ?

This is what I did. I don’t have the Control R module but instead have a display mounted on wall in master bathroom. It has a recirc button you can press to turn on. I soldered a 2 conductor wire to both side of the button and connected that to a dry contact relay that basically virtually presses the button. It’s been working great.

I’ve been lurking on this thread since the announcement and was interested in this integration but when I called Rannai you can either use the Control R OR the display and not both for some strange reason.

1 Like

Agree with this solution. I have the wi-fi module and use the Control-R app to set the programming of when recirc happens on its own. I have also installed the Rinnai Alexa skill and can tell her to start re-circulation if its outside of the programmed times. “Alexa tell Rinnai I need hot water”.

1 Like

Yeah, it says the same thing in the manual.

“DO NOT install the MC-195T-US Timer/Controller and Control-R™ Wi-Fi Module together as they are not
compatible accessories.”

1 Like