Ok curiosity has gotten the better of me...what is Navien?

so i have been using this site when i am authoring device types etc… so i can see the logo’s and a new category called Navien has cropped up. but the only thing i see when googling is something about tankless water heaters, but cant see the link to Samsung or ST

Seems to be a Korean manufacturer of HVAC and various green technology products. Seems like a good candidate for a partnership over there.

1 Like

The Navien product I have is indeed a wall-mounted tank-less water heater. It runs on electricity but heats up water via natural gas producing hot-water on demand.

Never need to worry about running out of hot-water ever and so far has been very reliable with really no maintenance other making sure the air-filter is clean. The filter is cleaned once a year.

The initial cost is high, if I remember correctly it was approx. ~$4500CDN installed by the home builder, but worth it as there is no wasted heat with a water tank constantly being heated.

Any updates on partnering with Navien. We are installing one of these in our home along with the NaviLink WiFi connector and would love the capibility to add it as a device in SmartThings.

Searching in the app I don’t see Navien listed any longer.

I managed to integrate my npe-240a to SMARTTHINGS with help of their Hot button accessory and a gledopto led controller. All in, spent about $100. Let me know if anyone is interested and I’ll do a write for it.

Hi Joel,

I just had an NPE240 installed today. I don’t care about the diagnostics or temperature as much but if I could turn on the recirculating I would certainly go the extra step of doing the plumbing work. If you are willing to share the details I would love to hear how you did it.

Hey Ryan,

Sure I’ll create a write up with images how I got this integrated. For the mean time you’ll need the Navien hot button board
https://www.navieninc.com/accessories/hotbutton and a gledopto zigbee led controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLEDOPTO-C-007-12V-24V-2-4G-Wireless-RGBW-LED-Controller-For-ZLL-Strip-Light/163389366738?hash=item260ac3e1d2:g:WaUAAOSw9~Rb9kdL

And that’s all you should need for integration. I’ll include the handler in the write up.

So once you’ve installed the recirculation pipes, install the hot button on the main board of the Navien. I won’t cover that here, their instructions on how to install it is pretty straight forward.

You will need an adapter for the led controller as I couldn’t get the power right from the hot button riser board. I’m using a 5v 2a max adapter which is pretty generic power supply. Pair the gledopto led controller to smartthings and change the device handler to the one below. I’ll assume you already know how to do this :slight_smile: . Insert the wires in the led controller as shown in the picture.

the red wire goes in the V+ pin and the black one goes in the G pin. Next connect the wires on the hot button board like so… and you should be ready to go. I did end up calling Navien support cuz the pump would stop before a full cycle of hot water. They’re pretty good and I suggest you give them a try if your pump does the same thing.

-------copy below this line--------

/**

• Copyright 2015 SmartThings
  • Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except
  • in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  •  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

• Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
  • on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  • for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/

metadata {
definition (name: “ZigBee Momentary Switch”, namespace: “smartthings”, author: “SmartThings”, ocfDeviceType: “oic.d.switch”, minHubCoreVersion: ‘000.019.00012’, executeCommandsLocally: true, genericHandler: “Zigbee”) {
capability “Actuator”
capability “Configuration”
capability “Refresh”
capability “Switch”
capability “Health Check”

fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0006", outClusters: "0003, 0006, 0019, 0406", manufacturer: "Leviton", model: "ZSS-10", deviceJoinName: "Leviton Switch"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0006", outClusters: "000A", manufacturer: "HAI", model: "65A21-1", deviceJoinName: "Leviton Wireless Load Control Module-30amp"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006", outClusters: "0003, 0006, 0008, 0019, 0406", manufacturer: "Leviton", model: "DL15A", deviceJoinName: "Leviton Lumina RF Plug-In Appliance Module"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006", outClusters: "0003, 0006, 0008, 0019, 0406", manufacturer: "Leviton", model: "DL15S", deviceJoinName: "Leviton Lumina RF Switch"
	fingerprint profileId: "C05E", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 1000, 0B04, FC0F", outClusters: "0019", manufacturer: "OSRAM", model: "Plug 01", deviceJoinName: "OSRAM SMART+ Plug"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0B05, FC01, FC08", outClusters: "0003, 0019", manufacturer: "LEDVANCE", model: "PLUG", deviceJoinName: "SYLVANIA SMART+ Smart Plug"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0B05", outClusters: "0019", manufacturer: "sengled", model: "E1C-NB6", deviceJoinName: "Sengled Element Outlet"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0019", manufacturer: "Third Reality, Inc", model: "3RSS008Z", deviceJoinName: "RealitySwitch Plus"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0019", manufacturer: "Third Reality, Inc", model: "3RSS007Z", deviceJoinName: "RealitySwitch"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0B05", outClusters: "0003, 0006, 0019", manufacturer: "Centralite Systems", model: "4200-C", deviceJoinName: "Centralite Smart Outlet"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0008, FC7C", outClusters: "0005, 0019, 0020", manufacturer:"IKEA of Sweden", model: "TRADFRI control outlet", deviceJoinName: "IKEA TRÅDFRI control outlet"
	fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0006, 0402, 0B05, FC01, FC02", outClusters: "0003, 0019", manufacturer: "iMagic by GreatStar", model: "1113-S", deviceJoinName: "Iris Smart Plug"

preferences {
		input("Delay", "number", title:"Delay In Seconds", description: "Set how long switch stays on", required: true, displayDuringSetup: true)
    }  
}

tiles(scale: 2) {
	multiAttributeTile(name:"switch", type: "lighting", width: 6, height: 4, canChangeIcon: true){
		tileAttribute ("device.switch", key: "PRIMARY_CONTROL") {
			attributeState "on", label:'push', action:"switch.off", icon:"st.switches.light.on", backgroundColor:"#00A0DC", nextState:"turningOff"
			attributeState "off", label:'push', action:"switch.on", icon:"st.switches.light.off", backgroundColor:"#ffffff", nextState:"turningOn"
			attributeState "turningOn", label:'${name}', action:"switch.off", icon:"st.switches.light.on", backgroundColor:"#00A0DC", nextState:"turningOff"
			attributeState "turningOff", label:'${name}', action:"switch.on", icon:"st.switches.light.off", backgroundColor:"#ffffff", nextState:"turningOn"
		}
	}
	standardTile("refresh", "device.refresh", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat", width: 2, height: 2) {
		state "default", label:"", action:"refresh.refresh", icon:"st.secondary.refresh"
	}
	main "switch"
	details(["switch", "refresh"])
}

}

// Parse incoming device messages to generate events
def parse(String description) {
log.debug “description is $description”
def event = zigbee.getEvent(description)
if (event) {
sendEvent(event)
}
else {
log.warn “DID NOT PARSE MESSAGE for description : $description”
log.debug zigbee.parseDescriptionAsMap(description)
}
}

def off() {
zigbee.off()
}

def on() {
delayBetween([
zigbee.on(),
off()
], Delay)
}

/**

• PING is used by Device-Watch in attempt to reach the Device
  • */
    def ping() {
    return refresh()
    }

def refresh() {
zigbee.onOffRefresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig()
}

def configure() {
// Device-Watch allows 2 check-in misses from device + ping (plus 2 min lag time)
sendEvent(name: “checkInterval”, value: 2 * 10 * 60 + 2 * 60, displayed: false, data: [protocol: “zigbee”, hubHardwareId: device.hub.hardwareID])
log.debug “Configuring Reporting and Bindings.”
zigbee.onOffRefresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig()
}

-------copy above this line--------

Hey, Joel_Della

I’ve just installed a HotButton on my Navien and i’m having the same issue with the cycle not completing when the button is activated (I used a fortrezz MIMOlite moment switch instead). I set P.16 in the menu to the correct return pipe length and I changed P.12 from a 5 min cycle to 3min. It’s still only running for 15 secs. I haven’t had much luck calling them. I keep getting disconnected. What other changes did you have to make? Hope you can help.

Turns out that it was the temperature of the return water was high enough to stop the recirculation. I think it’s 100F. The Navien is smart enough to stop recirculation when it recognises hot water has made the entire loop. The setup is correct and the only two settings you need are P.12 for recirculation time and P.16 for length of recirculation line from farthest point in the house.

I have installed Navilink via ethernet connection to my router and have buttons in each bathroom to start recirculation. I didn’t think I needed them in my kitchen or laundry room because they are on the same wall as the hot water heater (opposite side). However, the Finish Plumber installed the recirculation pipes backward. The kitchen and sink are last, not first. I would just go out and fix the lines, but he did not use flex-lines – only solid pipes soldered together. There is not even a union!

Well, it would be nice to put a Samsung Button next to the kitchen sink instead of having to use my phone or walk to the bathroom.

Do I need to add the LED controller to the Recirc low voltage line to be able to do this?

@ceemom - I dont think you have to, but it’s convenient when you install it inside the Navient unit. However, i’m not sure how the Navilink works with an LED controller. I purchased the HotButton as it’s a much more simplistic setup. I read somewhere the API’s that the Navilink use are proprietary and it’s hard /impossible to automate against. The HotButton is a simple switch and easy to attach an external ‘button’ to.

1 Like

Thanks! The Navilink app for Android is incredibly fast so it isn’t that annoying to use it. Some day I will try setting up a zigbee switch, but I think there are some other projects that will come first.

With the MIMOlite and the hot button, what device handler are you using? I was hoping to set this up to run from a motion sensor in my laundry room.

I use Vera not SmartThings. I always just add a generic Z-Wave device and it works it out. Vera thinks it’s a: ‘urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:BinaryLight:1’ if that helps.