Rheem EcoNet

Here are logs turning vacation on and off.
It looks like it just sets “isOnVacation:true” and adds “scheduledVacation:[id:34793]”

Note; to turn on vacation I have to set a scheduled on and off time. Then I can just disable it early.
I will do the same for Nest away and water leak, and post them soon.

Vacation disabled;

47f1310a-91c6-4d02-9848-531a92e12122 8:35:42 PM: debug Got data: [isLoadShiftActive:false, hasCriticalAlert:false, isNestActive:null, deviceAddress:1088, type:Water Heater, isEnabled:true, connectedSystem:[macAddress:xxxxxx], isLoadShedOpted:false, isOnVacation:false, isLoadShiftOpted:false, supportsUsageData:false, id:34433, scheduleType:null, inUse:false, subType:Gas Water Heater, vacationCanBeDisabled:true, isConnected:true, name:Gas Water Heater [WiFi], isLoadShedActive:false, maxSetPoint:140.0, softwareVersion:RH-WIFI-00-01-06, minSetPoint:89.95999908447266, setPoint:112.0, modelNumber:]

Vacation enabled;

47f1310a-91c6-4d02-9848-531a92e12122 8:30:42 PM: debug Got data: [isLoadShiftActive:false, hasCriticalAlert:false, isNestActive:null, type:Water Heater, connectedSystem:[macAddress:xxxxxx], supportsUsageData:false, id:34433, scheduleType:null, inUse:false, scheduledVacation:[id:34793], name:Gas Water Heater [WiFi], vacationCanBeDisabled:true, isLoadShedActive:false, softwareVersion:RH-WIFI-00-01-06, deviceAddress:1088, isLoadShedOpted:false, isEnabled:true, isLoadShiftOpted:false, isOnVacation:true, subType:Gas Water Heater, isConnected:true, maxSetPoint:140.0, setPoint:112.0, minSetPoint:89.95999908447266, modelNumber:]

I wonder if the ID changes as time changes. Like if it is a time seed in the future or something.

Water detected logs

only sets “hasCriticalAlert:true”

47f1310a-91c6-4d02-9848-531a92e12122 8:56:12 PM: debug Got data: [isLoadShiftActive:false, hasCriticalAlert:true, isNestActive:null, deviceAddress:1088, type:Water Heater, isEnabled:true, connectedSystem:[macAddress:11-11-11-11-11-11], isLoadShedOpted:false, isOnVacation:false, isLoadShiftOpted:false, supportsUsageData:false, id:34433, scheduleType:null, inUse:false, subType:Gas Water Heater, vacationCanBeDisabled:true, isConnected:true, name:Gas Water Heater [WiFi], isLoadShedActive:false, maxSetPoint:140.0, softwareVersion:RH-WIFI-00-01-06, minSetPoint:89.95999908447266, setPoint:112.0, modelNumber:]

Nest away

sets “isNestActive:true” and “isOnVacation:true”

Can you change this in API or just read it?

47f1310a-91c6-4d02-9848-531a92e12122 9:32:10 PM: debug Got data: [isLoadShiftActive:false, hasCriticalAlert:false, isNestActive:true, deviceAddress:1088, type:Water Heater, isEnabled:true, connectedSystem:[macAddress:xx-xxxxxx], isLoadShedOpted:false, isOnVacation:true, isLoadShiftOpted:false, supportsUsageData:false, id:34433, scheduleType:null, inUse:false, subType:Gas Water Heater, vacationCanBeDisabled:true, isConnected:true, name:Gas Water Heater [WiFi], isLoadShedActive:false, maxSetPoint:140.0, softwareVersion:RH-WIFI-00-01-06, minSetPoint:89.95999908447266, setPoint:110.0, modelNumber:]

I don’t suppose anybody has any idea why alexa says she can only set the above rheem hot water thermostat temperature “between 45 and 90 degrees”? It sure sounds like some $#&% lawyer rendered the generic thermostat control useless.

This would be really handy for me in that I could set the water temp by voice from inside the shower, using only the hot water tap. No need to mix cold in to set the desired temp.

Thanks Obama… err Alexa.

Was messing around tonight and took bspranger’s Rheem Water Heater DH above, and stripped out everything that is unsupported on a tankless with the econet module.

The result behaves more or less like the controls Rheem gives you in the Econet app for tankless. You can set the heating setpoint, and see if the tankless is firing or not. That’s about it. There’s not much to it, but hopefully useful to someone else.

1 Like

Hey Guys-

I’ve gone ahead and made a first crack at an updated DH for Rheem Econet Thermostats. Most of what I’ve done is based on the code provided further up the thread (from last summer actually) by the user fstr.

I’ve been using that code for nearly a year now, because it allowed me to set setpoints, which allows me to do most of what I want with the thermostat via WebCoRE. The one feature that was lacking was modesetting support, and that’s now fixed both via WebCoRE, and in the mode tile.

I spent a lot of time getting OPERATING_STATE working, only to realize its not very effective in this application due to the poll time to the Rheem API, and because the API doesn’t provide discrete enough operating state. I ended up ripping out the OPERATING_STATE and setting the main tile’s background based on the current temperature. I feel like this looks good, and gives at least some useful feedback. OPERATING_STATE wasn’t giving you anything you couldn’t get from the other tiles anyway, and since it didn’t update in real time when the furnace kicked on (instead having to wait for its next poll interval), it was often out of sync. I replaced it with device.InUse in the SECONDARY_CONTROL field. This has the same out of sync update issue, but it seems less confusing to me.

The four tiles betweeb the larger mode select and refresh buttons are:

outside temp (if you have an exterior tstat)
alert (for float sensor in drip tray)
interior humidity
fan speed

Everything should work except the fanSpeed tile. I’ll fix that as soon as I can, but I’m not sure when I’ll have time to get back to this so I wanted to put out what I have now.

I don’t use vacation modes or schedules, preferring to manage stuff like that through WebCore, so I’m unlikely to add that to the DH.

Hi James-

I’ve got what it sounds like is your exact setup. Rheem EcoNet thermostat and Rheem econet enabled tankless.

See the Device handlers above.

Guys,
I’ll apologize for the newb questions, as I’m trying to learn as fast as I can. I feel like it’s drinking from a firehose. I have had my ST hub for a little over a year, added quite a few things to it, and growing the system.

I recently purchased the Rheem hybrid water heater, and have been looking for a solution to add it to ST. I have read almost all of the dialog, but I still don’t have a grasp on what to do to make it show up, or to even see it in my devices. Can anyone take pity on me and point me in the best direction?

thanks,

Use my the code from my github.
Install the smart app and device handler code via web ide.
From the phone app install the smart app. Then follow the prompts to login to the Rheem account.
It should find the water heater. I think…
I did this over a year ago.

Brian,

thank you for the assistance. I owe you a beer or two.

I am getting the error:

startup failed: script_app_metadata_6935ebe7_2c1b_43d1_ba24_c1c07791b3df: 313: unexpected char: 0xA9 @ line 313, column 5. © 2018 GitHub, Inc. ^ 1 error

this was from copying the code… i’ve got to look at this again, as i am pretty sure i’m not doing this correct.

I would setup the git integration and pull the code in with that. That way you do not need to copy paste in updates if I make a change.

Has anyone updated jjhuff’s code so that it works with a standard electric EcoNet water heater and has been able to get away mode to work?

I would think it would be a simplified version of the hybrid electric.

I switched back to Justin’s code and it works but there’s no vacation or away mode options. Also, I just tried kramttocs which has the away button but doesn’t work.

I really just want the away mode so I can use Core to schedule away. According to Rheem, for electric water heaters, both modes sets the water temperature to 65 degrees F. So, just being able to set the away option from ST/Core would be all I need.

Brian, your post from May 2, 2017 at 3:23pm ha a screenshot if the app with the Home button. Do you still have that?

This is what I have now.
Screenshot_20180513-081858_SmartThings

I use webcore to switch to off at night and when I am away. During the day I reduce the temperature. Have it at its hottest during the morning for showers and evening for dishes.

I take it you have not been able to get enable vacation mode working? :slight_smile:

Disable vacation mode works :smile:

I setup the Github integration, published it, and then installed the smart app. I entered my login information, and chose ‘water heater’. ST did not find a new device to install, so i manually setup water heater from IDE.
Now from the app, it tells me ‘tiles missing’ is the new device, and there is no communication w/ device.

Sorry to keep asking for help, but do you see something I missed?

thanks

Did you install and publish the Device Handler?

I think the enable vacation command wants a start and end date and time.