Restore from Backup

I had installed the Hunter Douglas smartapp, and today, in the process of troubleshooting, I removed all my shades. Upon removal, I received a notice that my smartapp was removed. From my understanding, you can no longer install smartapps, so I was wondering if there is a way ST can restore from a backup?

Unfortunately ST has never had any type of backup/restore for the platform.

In addition, Groovy will cease by the end of the year so any groovy smartapps will not work after that time.

1 Like

This situation reminds me of what happened when they rolled out the new mobile app. That is, they didn’t have all the functionality completed or a path forward. So at the end of the year the rest of my SmartApps will stop working? This is going to push me to another platform.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s definitely frustrating ! :rage: You may be able to re-create some of the functionality with methods that do work with the new platform. See the following discussion:

Replace Groovy with Automations—what’s your plan?

3 Likes

You could check if your shades work with the edge driver

3 Likes

They have been warning that Groovy SmartApps were going away, quite literally, for YEARS. Dates were communicated months ago, and pushed back a few times to allow more time.

The bulk of what you’re doing in SmartApps is likely to be able to now be done within SmartThings itself using Routines and Edge drivers, and it has the added benefit of running locally instead of cloud based like Groovy.

I think you’ll find things have improved. It is important to pay attention to news about the platform you’re relying on for automation so you don’t get surprised like this.

3 Likes