Resetting Z-Wave

Is there a way to reset the Z-Wave radio if one has too many ghosts in a system and cannot clean them all? (Of course, without waiting for support and without resetting the entire hub, just the Z-Wave)

@JDRoberts , @Brad_ST

Technically yes, we have some options there but I would recommend at least trying to clear out the ghosts first. Do you have a list of nodes/DNIs that need to be deleted?

5 Likes

Thanks. So basically, no, then? There isn’t a way to just delete the Z-Wave routing table and start over without also deleting the Zigbee table and everything else on the hub?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes we can send a command to the hub to reset Z-Wave but as you probably know, that means you’ll need to exclude and re-add all of your Z-Wave devices.

I just want to cause you the least pain possible. So if we can get things into a better state by zapping those ghosts, I’d recommend starting with that first.

3 Likes

How do we do it at our end? If we can do it ourselves it will save a lot of aggravation.
I had to call support twice yesterday. First one that answered didn’t know what I was talking about and refused to go any further in troubleshooting it until I take out batteries from the hub even thought I told her that there are no batteries inside for I never installed them. Second person at least took notes and open a ticket for me.

3 Likes

How many ghosts do you have?

2 Likes

For 3 I wouldn’t reset the radio (unless you have 4 Z-Wave devices in total) :smile: . Create virtual devices for those ids, pick a generic Z-Wave type, then go to the Classic app and remove them. DO NOT remove from ide, must do it from the app.

After removal, look in the hub’s events log to confirm that the ghosts were removed (refresh the page after each device). Run a repair afterwards.

1 Like

Force deleting the nodes requires intervention from someone from support.

Are you still seeing the ghost nodes?

No. Took care of it myself.

3 Likes

I’m having a similar issue and just want to reset my z-wave network. Above you mentioned that ou have some options. I realize I will lose all my z-wave devices and will have to include them again. I DO NOT want to reset my entire smartthings hub.

What is the process to have you all send a z-wave reset command? I don’t see a z-wave reset command available to me through the API utilities.

It’s not available to endusers. I found your support ticket and your hub was in an odd state due to being used as a secondary controller. We’d expect the hub’s Z-Wave node ID to be ‘01’ and yours was ‘13’. Also, your Z-Wave devices were missing states.

I reset the Z-Wave chip for you. You’ll need to exclude and re-include the devices but should be good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks! Everything is working now. Z-wave reset was available to end-users on Wink. I understand the concern and possible support ticket increase. Maybe just make it available through the IDE only.

1 Like

2 related questions:

1. Once I run out of nodes (231 devices) will it recycle deleted Node ID’s? (For example, I had a DTH issue and used ID’s 20 through 28 to troubleshoot,.

2. If not, assuming I set my Node ID’s back to optimal order (fill gaps) is there a way for you to command my “next available Node ID” back to a different number (Like 38 instead of 81?)

Once it gets to 232 devices on your network, Z wave automatically goes back and re-uses any available IDs starting over at the beginning with 1. You can’t force it to be a different number, though. It just uses them in sequence.

2 Likes

Great. So no concerns with gaps. Phew.

You can have gaps, but they don’t cause any problems and the numbers will eventually get reused if needed if that’s what you’re asking. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yep. My specific concern was with my z-stick/Z-wave PC Controller 5 not seeing nodes higher than it’s node id. Before excluding/re-including and losing that node id, I wanted to make sure I didn’t need to try to recover it. I have so many gaps it’s embarassing (testing/troubleshooting).

I haven’t found any way to get the PC controller to see newer nodes than when it was connected. Need to update some firmware.