SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] Zooz Power Switch / Zooz Smart Plug

dth_powermeter
dth_sensors
dth_outlet

(Beau Thompson) #225

I see there an update but that only for new app and not Classic SmartThings correct?

(Warren) #226

It works for both. I am running the updated DTH with the Classic interface. The mods make it compatible with the new interface but the old interface just ignores these settings.

(Beau Thompson) #227

Hi all,
I have a question about device handler
when you have a option how is default vale set?
thanks beau

(Kevin) #228

If you open the settings and then tap save, all the fields will be populated with their default values the next time the settings screen is opened.

(Beau Thompson) #229

my question is how is the default vale set in the code?

I love this device handler - thank you for creating it. I have a quick question. I’m confused at the meaning of Energy-Duration. Is this the total time elapsed since the last reset? Or is it the actual run time of the device since the last reset? For example, if I reset the numbers in the app and then hook up a fan to the plug and run the fan for 5 hours, turn the fan off and let it sit for another 5 hours will the Energy-Duration read 5 hours or 10 hours? I’ve been playing with it, and I think it records the total time elapsed (in my example 10 hours) but I want to make sure. Thanks

(Kevin) #231

yes, it’s total time elapsed.

(stud james) #232

Hi All, I need help; I believe the Zen15 using this handler is reporting very inaccurate voltage, amp, and watt readings.

I have used the device without the handler and the readings still seems inaccurate but a little less so. Here is what I have attached to the zen15:

a meanwell constant voltage HLG-240H-48A drivers running [4x Samsung LT-F564B 2′ Strips]

Wired in parallel the system voltage should be reading as follows:

System Voltage: 46.5V

System Current: 5,000mA

System Power: 232.5W

image of wiring: (https://i0.wp.com/ledgardener.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/LT-F564B-2X4-1.png)

The ZEN15 is reporting 119.8 volts and about 2.4amps, and about 288 watts.

This can’t be accurate because:

-This is a constant voltage driver and should be reporting around ~47-48 volts

-There are 4 samsung strips connected in parallel with the internal pot maxed out, so it should be running at 5 amps for a total power draw of about ~240watts

Please help me understand why the volts and amps are so far off, I do feel the 288 watt power draw could be accurate or at least close to it, but I’m so disappointed because I feel this device isn’t capable of reliable measurements and more just a novelty…

Thank you,

James

(Kevin) #233

The handler doesn’t alter the values it just displays the values that are reported so if you find it unreliable it has nothing to do with the handler…

(Warren) #234

Well, so the item is intended to measure AC line voltage. I think it is doing that. Your driver takes line voltage and converts it to 48V I would guess so it’s telling you that he driver is consuming that wattage but what it outputs can be different because no converter is 100% efficient and you have losses to heat and so on.

I’ve never tried the ZEN15 with anything else other than line voltage…but I don’t think you are either.

-Warren

(stud james) #235

Great thank you LLwarrenP, that’s what I thought. But it still seems the amps are inaccurate, I’m not sure why, its clearly a 5amp driver and would NOT be outputting ~280 watts unless running at 5amps.

(Warren) #236

Well, I think the Zooz is spot on. GIven P = IV, the numbers work for both the input and output of the driver. But I think your underlying question is really “why is the driver running balls out?” Hard to say but that depends on the load that is attached and how the driver is designed. It might be dissipating power when it isn’t used meaning it’s pretty inefficient. Or it might mean that the load is driving it fully. I would suggest disconnecting the load and seeing if the power usage goes down and that will tell you a lot. Also, the specs on the driver should say whether it is variable output or fixed output.

But, I think the Zooz is probably reporting the right values.

(Court) #237

Maybe this is super trivial, but what If statement would I use to monitor if the Zooz Zen15 loses power because the GFCI trips or it gets unplugged by accident so goes offline?

Would I use $status changes to ‘OFFLINE’?

Not sure whats best to do this or is it not possible and I need another smart app like Device Monitor?

Thanks!

(Warren) #238

You could probably do something like that but if you’re already writing code in an app, what I would suggest is that you create a heartbeat test to ensure that it is reporting status routinely (through one of the various reports that the ZEN15 sends). Then if it doesn’t “beat” you can have your app alert the user that it hasn’t heard from the device (any device really so it would be generic code) in a set time. I think that will be more reliable too because you have much less of a chance of missing the change in state.

I did this in my Sump Pump Monitor app, check out this thread which also has links to the app code in GitHub. You’ll want to look at the Initialize() function for the setup and then the deviceHeartbeat() and heartbeatAlert() functions. It’s as simple as start a timer and if I don’t get a heartbeat alert me, otherwise reset the timer and start again.

FYI, I may make a minor update to this code soon to improve a few other parts unrelated to the heartbeat - just doing some extended testing now.

(Court) #239

Thanks Warren, I’ll take a look. Was trying to do it in Webcore and keep it simple, I’ll take a look at your code you linked, appreciate the tips!

(Warren) #240

Ah, ok, I have done a few small projects over there but I just didn’t see that it was less complicated as most of the “smarts” were in the logic you were programming and not the device interactions. But I don’t see why you couldn’t mimic the same sort of polling behavior in Webcore since it more or less implements the same stuff (maybe a smaller subset). I have to admit I had started in Webcore and then learned a bit of Groovy and haven’t looked back – despite that I really like the Webcore interface.

(Kevin) #241

Please delete the link to that code to prevent users from mistaking it for the handler this post is meant for.

This device has built-in polling so just set the Power reporting interval to something like 5 minutes and use Simple Device Viewer or Device Monitor to notify you if it goes longer than 5 minutes without activity.

(Court) #242

The default polling seems to be set to 30 seconds already. I have Simple Device Viewer installed, not sure how to configure it to notify me if it goes longer than say 5 minutes without activity. Under notifications it seems like there is one option that can be toggled on/off for “Send Power Notification” but no idea if that corresponds to the Power reporting interval. Will keep digging and test tonight. Since this is monitoring a sump pump power will be 0 most of the time unless it kicks on so setting a Threshold of 0 wont work, it would if it was monitoring an appliance that was always on I suppose!

(Kevin) #243

You should use the “Last Event Threshold” to configure how often the device should report before considering it offline.

If you’re already using Simple Device Viewer to monitor your other devices then you should install a second instance of it to just monitor this specific device.

(Warren) #244

I can only plug my aforementioned sump pump monitor app that has this as a feature amongst other things. But I never knew about the feature that @krlaframboise mentioned so I guess it depends what you’re really looking to do with monitoring your pump. I designed in the ZEN15 because it’s a great device that gives you lots of potential so either way I think you’re on the right track.