[RELEASE] Zooz Power Strip VER 2.0

Ahh, great. I went the route of deleting all 10 children and saving settings. Looks like that fixed it. Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like you re-posted on the Power Switch topic so I’m assuming this post was a mistake…

Okay just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I originally had these installed as Swave multi outlets which is what the new app had natively assigned them. I found this new device handler and decided to switch for the extra functions that the native one didnt provide. I excluded the devices added the DH and rediscovered all worked great in the new app. It discovered 8 devices although when I moved them to a room i lost the 2 USB devices this wasnt a big deal to me anyway but not sure what happened. I discovered the next power strip and the exact same thing happened. But then when I went to rename the individual child devices as I renamed them in the new app they went stale and I recieved a network failure. I refreshed and still had a cloud where the on/off command usually sits. I went to my IDE and noticed that the device type switched to “placeholder”. I did this several times and the same scenario happened. I replaced the placeholder in the IDE with the child DH and back in business. I then renamed one in the classic app and it worked fine “no placeholder”. Is this just some type of glitch? I can rename other devices just fine in the new app with no issues.

The device has a configuration parameter that enables/disables the USB reporting and my handler sets the default value to true. The way I implemented the settings works fine in the classic app, but the new mobile app loses the default values so if you had changed any settings it most likely reverted to false which would have deleted the USB devices.

The new mobile app also doesn’t like the way I created the child devices which usually results in time out errors when toggled from the new mobile app. I think that might also have something to do with the type getting reset to placeholder.

I haven’t fixed them yet because SmartThings keeps making changes that break things in the new mobile app and they’ll probably continue doing that until they’ve released the official documentation.

I think Zooz will be releasing a new firmware version soon so I plan on fixing these issues while making the changes for that version.

That being said, if you primarily use the new mobile app then you might be able to join the device without my handler installed, install my handler and switch the parent device to my handler. Once you’ve done that you can change the settings and change it back to the original handler once you’ve verified that the changes have synced.

I haven’t tested that and my handler will probably create duplicate child devices that you’ll have to manually delete after changing it back to the built-in handler.

Yeh this new app classic app stuff is crazy. Most functions appear to work fine in the new app minus a few things. If I need to rename any of them in the near future I found it easier to just do it in the IDE and if mobile ill do it in the classic app. Hopefully they will finalize the changeover to the new app and it will eliminate alot of headache so far as DH duplication/design. Thanks for your work and time

SmartThings doesn’t implement any settings in their handlers and they only implement the bare minimum functionality for complex devices so there’s always going to be a need for custom handlers.

The problem all developers are having right now is that ST hasn’t published the documentation for the new mobile app so we basically have to find something that works through trial and error and hope that ST doesn’t make a change that breaks it.

Once that documentation is available, and they fix the remaining issues with the platform, things should be a lot smoother…

Hi all I have run in to a problem i was forced to new app
now when I use the app to turn off a outlet it goes off but I app it keeps spinning around the button and it goes back to on but it is off the I get network or sever error
I have excluded re put in it is no better

There was an issue with the way my handler was creating the child devices, but I fixed it a few versions ago so make sure the handler you’re using shows version 2.2.2 at the very top of the code.

Once you’ve done that remove and re-join the device.

If you’re already on the latest version of the handler, let me know and I’ll try to think of what else could be causing that…

@krlaframboise i am using 222 sent you a pm

it like the app crashes what can i do to find where the problem is ?

It turns out I only fixed that issuing for the Zooz MultiRelay…

Removing the comma from the end of line 324 and putting // in front of lines 325 and 326 might solve the problem when you re-join the device.

Main DTH and you need to remove the device or manually delete all the children and change one of the settings in the mobile app.

@krlaframboise after I did above I only got error one I think i turned off and back on to fast so now I have to figure out how to get them in google for voice

You should be able to add them the same way you would any other switch…

Hi @krlaframboise that was fixed in your last update the only thing I see some time use 3 outlet in a gh routine some times only 2 come on

@beau76 I have seen this as well and in my case it was the sheer number of actions and subsequent traffic over the ST network that dropped some actions. I have 3x of these strips fully loaded and then also a number of other devices, all of which do something when I leave or return. So it makes sense that the ST network couldn’t handle 30+ actions all at once.

I ended up splitting the desired actions up into 3x waves using webcore. So when I come home the most important 10x devices restore, 30x seconds after that the second, 15x seconds after that the third. It has proven pretty accurate. Since I have added more devices now I may need to add a fourth call.

SmartThings can only handler so many reports being sent by the device at the same time so if your reporting thresholds are set low then 6 messages are sent for every outlet that turns on resulting in some of those messages getting lost.

You should set the reporting frequency to the highest acceptable value for your use case. For example, if you don’t look at voltage then set it to the highest value or if you only look at energy once a day then set that reporting frequency to 12 hours.

Doing that should solve the problem with this device, but it’s something you should also do with all your other metering devices because spamming your mesh with metering reports can cause global performance/reliability issues.

@krlaframboise the network error is back when i try to use the app to turn an outlet off have not made any changes

Off and On or just Off?

Does the switch perform the expected action?
If so, does it eventually show the correct switch state in the new app?

Do you have any other devices that create child devices and if so, are they having the same problem?

@krlaframboise 1 can not do on or off in app
2 switch performs the expected on the device status not changing in app
3 this is the only device with a child device
4 all outlet gray in-app
5 other device on network fine