[RELEASE] Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor

At one point the decimal place for lux was preventing the device details screen from loading and that was the quickest fix, but I overlooked the temperature being rounded…

I’ve added fixing this to my To Do list.

Hi Kevin, @krlaframboise

• Changelog:
  • 2.3 (10/16/2020)
  •  - changed icon

I am seeing this change on the tile within the my.smartthings.com panel but the mobile app tile still shows the SmartSense Multi Sensor icon. Any idea why this is happening, and/or how I can fix it?

The only way to change the icon for the new mobile app is to change the ocfDeviceType attribute to a different type of device…

OK, so I’ve spent some time researching your answer, and have concluded that I just don’t know how (or where) to make this attribute adjustment. I guess I’ll just live with it for now, and hope that the mobile app developers will fix it at some point in the future. Thanks anyway.

I’ve had 2 of these sensors in service for 4 years on my ST hub and an old device handler. Wanted to add a couple more so I ordered two more on Amazon. Before adding the new ones I realized my handler was old so I updated it to this one (at the direction of the Zooz site). I first removed the old sensors, then removed the old handler, then added this handler. The old sensors seem to be working, albeit a couple issues I’ve noticed from the old handler, but the new devices are flat out not working.

Old devices seem to be showing up as Zooz sensors when scanning for them but no matter the configuration settings they flash red on motion. I never had them report motion with the old handler. Maybe I just need to wait out the 12 hour check-in and they’ll finally stop flashing (and report battery levels which I set to match the check-in for now).

The new devices I ordered use CR123A batteries and it looks like the board inside is different. When scanning for them they appear as random other sensors like open/close sensor, just motion sensor, seems any random sensor. I modified one to use the new handler and noticed its firmware (which is 16.9 on the old ones) is like 32.0 or something, but it doesn’t report it properly into the device handler, I only noticed it in the raw description in IDE under ver. Is this hardware too new for the handler?

It’s not a bug, it’s just how the new mobile app works.

If you don’t like the icon then just replace x.com.st.d.sensor.motion on line 75 with x.com.st.d.sensor.multifunction. Last time I checked, that was the only other icon option for that type of device.

Once you make that change you’ll need to remove the device, delete the handler, change the name on line 72 to something else, install it, and then re-join the device.

Are you waking the device up by using the paper clip to push the recessed button on the bottom of the device after changing the settings?

You should go into the IDE and open live logging before changing settings so you’ll be able to see if the device actually woke up when you pushed the recessed button because sometimes you have to push it more than once.

Some of the settings in this handler do not work with the older models and if you’re trying to use a setting or setting option that’s not supported then it should log a message saying that.

I’m not sure what you mean by “modified one”, but this handler works with all firmware versions of the device and it displays the correct firmware on the device details screen.

If the firmware field was empty then the device wasn’t fully configured during inclusion and you would have had to manually wake it up.

If the device wasn’t assigned my handler on inclusion then the mfr, prod, and/or model are probably 0, which happens if ST chokes during inclusion, and you should remove and re-join the device. If the same thing happens again then you’ll need to reboot the hub.

I’m waking the device by pressing once with a paper clip. What I meant by “modifying” was having to manually select the device type in IDE since they were being auto-identified as random other devices when adopting them to the hub.

I just factory reset one of them this morning. I adopted it and it showed up a generic “Z-wave device”. I edited its device type in IDE and changed it to the Zooz 4-in-1 option at the end of the list and clicked “Update”. Now in the device properties I can see the preferences so I edit those (within IDE still) to the following values:

checkinInterval number 12
debugOutput bool true
decimalPlaces enum 1
humidityOffset decimal 0
humidityTrigger number 5
ledIndicatorMode number 1
lightOffset decimal 0
lightTrigger number 10
lxLightOffset decimal 0
maxLx number 100
motionSensitivity number 4
motionTime number 15
reportBatteryEvery number 12
tempOffset decimal 0
tempScale number 1
tempTrigger number 30

I then triggered the update by pressing the button on the device once with a paperclip. These were the logs:
11:06:16 AM: debug Firmware Version: 32.2
11:06:16 AM: trace VersionReport: VersionReport(applicationVersion: 32, zWaveLibraryType: 3, applicationSubVersion: 2, zWaveProtocolSubVersion: 54, zWaveProtocolVersion: 4)
11:06:16 AM: debug Device Woke Up
11:06:16 AM trace LastCheckin is 06/01/2021 11:06:16 AM

Nothing happens after that. The device continues to blink red every 10 seconds or so. Logs have been open the past 15 minutes with the device next to me and it’s not seeing any further activity.

Post the raw description shown in the IDE.

zw:S type:0000 mfr:0000 prod:0000 model:0000 ver:0.00 zwv:0.00 lib:00

Noticed your mention of zeroes in the raw description so I power-cycled the hub. This time the device appeared as the 4-in-1 sensor right away but is still being unresponsive. I assumed setting “1” in the LED indicator mode disabled the LED when motion is detected but it continues to blink when motion detected. Log shows this when it sees motion:

BasicSet: BasicSet(value: 255)
NotificationReport: NotificationReport(eventParametersLength: 0, eventParameter: , zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0, v1AlarmType: 7, reserved61: 0, notificationStatus: 255, sequence: false, event: 8, notificationType: 7, v1AlarmLevel: 255)

Raw description now shows:
zw:Ss type:0701 mfr:027A prod:2021 model:2101 ver:32.02 zwv:4.54 lib:03 cc:5E,98 sec:86,72,5A,85,59,73,80,71,31,70,84,7A

Open Live Logging, make sure the “Enable debug logging” setting is enabled, push the recessed buttong with the paper clip and then post the live logging results.

Seeing how this sensor is being used for a lot of automations, maybe icon nitpicking isn’t worth all of the exclusion/re-inclusion effort after all. But thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate your help. :+1:

I got past the inclusion issues by rebooting excluding all of the sensors, rebooting the hub, then adding them back. Each seemed to recognize itself as the 4-in-1 sensor right away and configurations seemed to take when pressing the button. While they seem to report motion pretty reliably they’re less than reliable at the other 3 senses. For example I moved one to the garage where it’s probably 90°F and better than 70% humidity yet it’s still reporting the indoor temp of 74°F and 59% humidity from when I configured it yesterday.

Are they still reporting values that far off? I don’t remember hearing others report accuracy problems with the temp or humidity, but people frequently complain about it taking at least 3 minutes for the device to report changes.

Hi Kevin, thanks for the device handler. I just installed it with a new Zooz 4-in-1 sensor, ZSE40 700. However, I must be missing some critical step or piece of information because I can’t seem to access all the advanced settings that I see listed in this forum or in your code. Are those settings simply unavailable now? How can I adjust the settings for this device using your handler? Sorry if it’s a simple answer, but I can’t seem to find anything with my search online…

The custom DTH didn’t get assigned to the device during inclusion so you’ll need to open the device in the IDE and manually change the “Type” field.

Ugh I knew it was going to be something simple! Thanks for helping me out!

2 Likes

@krlaframboise
Hi Kevin,

Is there a way to get the light sensor to trigger and update when motion is detected?

Nope.

The device takes measurements about every 3 minutes and if temp, light, or humidity exceed their threshold then all 3 values get reported.