Features

• Current Humidity Sensor
  • Fan Speed Control
  • Humidity Setpoint Control
  • Water Level Monitor
  • Filter Life Monitor
  • Reset Filter Life

Usage

The device handler provides a full-featured manual interface (pictured above). To automate the device, I highly recommend Rule Machine by @bravenel. This device handler exposes several commands to Rule Machine’s “expert features” functionality (thanks, @Mike_Maxwell!) The useful exposed commands are:

• on: Turns fan on to the speed it was set to when last powered off.
  • off: Turns fan off.
  • fan*: Sets the fan speed. From lowest to highest: [Off, Min, Low, Med, High, Max]
  • hum*: Sets desired humidity. Available settings: [45%, 50%, 55%, 60%, Max]
  • resetFilterLife : Resets the filter life counter.

Installation

This implementation consists of two files. The SmartApp (service manager) locates the device on your network and creates the device using the device handler. Both of these should be installed and published within your IDE account.

Once these two files have been published within your account, head to your mobile app. Under Marketplace, SmartApps, My Apps, you will find “Holmes Smart Humidifier With WeMo (Connect)”. Tap on it. After several seconds, your humidifier should be detected. Select your device from the list and tap “Done”.

GitHub Integration

For easier updating, add the GitHub repository in your IDE account:

• Owner: bkeifer
  • Name: smartthings
  • Branch: master

TODO

• Revamp UI. This initial release is essentially a placeholder UI until the next iteration of multiAttributeTile is released.

Credits

@kevintierney - This device handler would not have been possible without Kevin’s work. Most of the service manager code and subscription handling in the device handler are heavily based on, if not entirely, copied from his WeMo Crock Pot implementation.

Henric Huckabay - Went above and beyond to help troubleshoot some less-than-intuitive behavior within parse(). I wish him all the best in his quest for world peace.

3 Likes

Awesome. I had several humidifiers die in the last week and I was hoping this was going to work out.

Is it possible to rely on an external humidity reading — that is, can one just set the fan speed and have it ignore it’s humidistat, or must one set it?

if you set the humidity to “Max”, it’ll run non-stop.

looks good. UI may need some tweaking for smaller screen devices. This is on my 5.2" droid.

I’ll play with it when time allows and share any updates

Nice. So with this handler and smartapp, the humidifier works directly with ST? No other intermediary Wemo devices required?

What version of the ST app? I know the latest one introduced some UI issues.

The latest one unfortunately :frowning:

That is correct.

(20)

Yeah. Like I noted in the TODO section, the UI will get an overhaul as soon as the new multiAttributeTile code is released. It’s the “right” way to do a UI for something like this but it’s in a serious state of broken at the moment.

For now, just know that both the fan speeds and the humidities go from lowest on the left to highest on the right.

awesome, works for me and thanks for sharing this!

Hello; Thank you for this integration.

Can you describe further the abilities the handler adds to Rule Machine? I still need to do some basic tests, but my rule machine crash quite a bit after installing this.

The functionality I was trying to accomplish was adjusting fan speed based on either motion sensors and/or times/presence sensors.

Could you walk me through or verify that the above accomplishes this? I was going for a rule that had true/false actions for fan speed.

Simply installing this device can’t possibly cause another SmartApp to “crash”.

If you would like to use Rule Machine to control your humidifier, you’ll need to create custom commands for your humidifier under Rule Machine’s “Expert Features” section. Once you’ve done that, you can select those commands in the “Select Actions” section of your rules.

Yes, that’s why I need to do further testing.

In the OP you said

The useful exposed commands are:

on: Turns fan on to the speed it was set to when last powered off.
off: Turns fan off.
fan*: Sets the fan speed. From lowest to highest: [Off, Min, Low, Med, High, Max]
hum*: Sets desired humidity. Available settings: [45%, 50%, 55%, 60%, Max]
resetFilterLife : Resets the filter life counter.

In the other custom device handlers, exposed indicates already done. If not, what are the commands needed to be exposed?

I’m not sure I follow. These commands already exist within the DTH and are usable as custom commands in Rule Machine.

Can you give me an example of another device handler that behaves differently with RM’s custom commands?

There were different options added in with changes to the hue bulb type, and / or, I did not see those options to begin with and the second time through saw them as new.

I have a little more knowledge on how to use rule machine now, and have your custom commands running and doing stuff for me. I appreciate your patience in finding a bug in my head and helping me fix it ;).

Wonderful! Wetware is usually not my specialty, so glad I was able to help. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Will this work with any of the Holmes Smart Humidifiers or only a specific model? There seem to be two of them ---- one labeled as just Smart Humidifier and the other as Large Room Smart Humidifier.

Good question! It’s only been tested (as far as I know) with the one called “Holmes® Smart Humidifier with WeMo®”.

If the other one uses the same firmware it should work, but I’ve got no way of knowing that for certain.

I have the device handler and smart app installed in me IDE account, but when i go to the mobile app the samrt app is not there, any ideas what i did wrong

Is this still available? If so, how do I obtain the code to paste into IDE? Many thanks!