[RELEASE CANDIDATE] CoRE (Community's own Rule Engine)

Did you go into the SmartThings app on your phone, then to Marketplace, then to SmartApps, then to My Apps, then to CoRE and complete the installation and setup of your first Piston?
After this is done, you should be able to access CoRE from Automations > SmartApps > CoRE (You don’t need to go to MarketPlace again for CoRE unless you accidentally remove it).

The top item shown in CoRE is the Core Dashboard.

1 Like

That’s what I was missing. Thank you Brian!

1 Like

If you go to the Live Logging page in IDE, then enter CoRE from the ST app, the logs will show you a URL you can put in any web browser. Might have to enable debugging first, can’t remember…

Riddle me this. I have the following piston:

The time conditions work fine. At 7:15 every morning, the dimmer sets to 40%. At sunset every night, the dimmer sets to 10%. The mode conditions do NOT change anything. If I’m understanding correctly, any time the mode changes to Home, from anything at all, the light should come on to either 40% or 10% depending on the time.

It doesn’t. It only responds to time conditions, not mode conditions. It’s been this way for awhile, I’ve just never been able to log it so I haven’t posted about it. I just logged a mode change from Night to Home. See below.

Am I misunderstanding how an Else-If piston works? For the record, I used to have this set up as a Latching piston too, with the same problem. Is something wrong, a missing event subscription, etc? @ady624

I set mode = night at 11:14pm, and then set mode = home at 11:15pm. It may look like the log was cut off at the top, but that’s all there was.

Looks as if you’re suffering from the mode issue - event is created, mode doesn’t change. Notice the red “Home is Home”?

1. Creating a global variable always makes it a string. I can’t seem to choose any other type (in a piston, I can choose a type.

2. After I create the global variable, I can’t seen to pick it in a piston using the Set Variable option. Seems to always make a new local variable instead.

Any suggestions? BTW, awesome work!

Hi @ady624 - I ran into a couple of issues with CoRE and the ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller (please see ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller for more info on this controller). I’m trying to set up a rule so that if a button is pressed then it does something (send a sms, or turn on a virtual switch - doesn’t matter right now as nothing is working).

There are two issues:

1. I create a basic Piston. For Add A Condition I pick Capability->Button. For the Button list I select my ZWN-SC7 Enerwave device (which is also the only such device I have). Now here is the first issue - when I click Buttons (to select which button I want to make the rule on) it only shows me Buttons #1, #2, #3, and #4. However this is a 7 button controller.

2. Despite the above issue I still tried to see if I could get it to work with one of the 4 buttons. I choose Button #1. Comparison I set to IS. Value I set to Pushed. For my THEN section I tell it to send me a SMS just so I can check it. However it never sends the SMS. I also tried having it switch on one of my virtual switches, but nothing happens in that case either (however if I manually flip the virtual switch in my list of Things then the desired action that I want the Piston to make happen, happens fine).

I’m not sure if it matters, but I’m using CoRE v0.1.11c.20160716. I know that’s quite old, but its been working great for me so I’ve had little reason to want to mess with it, up until now of course. If you saw that you want me to try with the latest version of CoRE I am happy to - but please tell me, in that case will it still preserve all my existing Pistons or will they get destroyed and I will have to recreate them?

All this said, there is a Smart App that this lighting controller has that I have self-published. That does recognize all 7 buttons, and it also works exactly as expected. However I really want to use CoRE to trigger the actions on button pushes, since it is so much more flexible and I want to do more with it.

I’d greatly appreciate it if you can give me some things to try to troubleshoot this or ideas on what may be wrong. Thank you.

As a side note and totally unrelated - for the button “Held” action - is there a way to define the duration that a button must be held before it is considered held and not pressed, or is this value baked into SmartThings and not configurable.

You should also consider implementing type in addition to the usedCode. I had written up another post about this on the BETA 2 page. This gives the source of the code which can be used to take actions (keypad vs remote).

‘data’:[‘usedCode’:1, ‘type’:‘keypad’]

1 Like

You may want to also update the button DTH - That should fix the missing buttons. And definitely update CoRE, you are still on beta 1… you shouldn’t lose any pistons. Held duration is governed by the device and/or the DTH, I cannot measure it in CoRE…

I am trying to see if it can make it to ST’s docs. If not, I can add that too, hoping other DTH follow the same path…

1 Like
  1. You do not need to create a variable, just rely on the piston, it will create it for you. That add variable option is there because some users really really really wanted it. But you do not have to use it.

2. Have you added @ in front of the variable name to make it global?

3. What version are you on?

I saw that, I believe that I took that screenshot while the house was in Night mode, but I can’t remember for sure. I did have other mode issues earlier this week though, so maybe that was part of the problem. The light came on as expected when I tried to test it last night, and it worked correctly when Good Morning executed as scheduled this morning too. Argh…I hate chasing intermittent issues.

the dashboard shows the evaluation at last piston run, NOT the current evaluation of things.

1 Like

Is this a change in the experimental dashboard? I thought I remember the original dashboard updating in real time.

Never did. The only real time is in the ST app while building a piston - the Current evaluation part is current. The dashboard shows last run - it’s to help with figuring out what and why it didn’t work LOL

Wow, I’m not sure how I didn’t realize this before, lol. Good to know. :blush:

Yep I agree, it’s inevitable as they move forward with more locks they would need to identify the source of the userCode when you’re deal with locks that have multiple technologies like IDLock and Yale (RFID, Bluetooth and Physical Keypad all in one) and reported over Z-Wave. @Tyler

1 Like

Can’t do Held, the device itself doesn’t support that. Mine are both working fine with CoRE on the latest version with all 7 buttons.

Thanks. I updated CoRE to the latest and also updated the DTH for the lighting device (although I’m not sure that matters as I was already running the latest) and now I get all 7 buttons listed when I select the device in CoRE.Yeay! :smiley: . However I still have the issue where pressing the button on the lighting controller does not trigger CoRE to take action based on the Piston I have. I would greatly appreciate your help, as I am counting on this to as the only way to turn my Lifx lights on/off in the room (which are the only lights in the room). I detailed the Piston steps I am trying here: CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons . Thank you!!

Thanks. I didn’t know about the @ symbol. I’ll try it tonight (I’m on the latest version from GitHub)