Recommendation for contact sensors, in bulk?

Ikea plugs are my go to.

The Tradfri?

1 Like

I have the SmartThings hub in the middle of my ~900 sqft apartment. Is there a limit of how many Zigbee devices can connect to the hub? Would I need a repeater to even out the coverage if they’re all somewhat near the hub?

Yes sir! 10 bucks is a great deal for such a solid repeater.

1 Like

From the links above, the v2 hub can handle 32 directly connection Zigbee devices. The v3 apparently can do 64. Max range for Zigbee is something on the order of 40’. So depending upon your hub and the number of Zigbee devices, you are probably fine. I have a 3200 sq.ft. house on 3 floors, so my situation is a little more complicated.

2 Likes

Any idea how many devices it can repeat for? E.g., from this investigation, the Iris can do 13.

I currently have one with 5 devices routing through it but have definitely seen more in the past. Probably upwards of 10. I have a ton of routing devices, and just added a new device a few days ago, so my mesh is still in the process of figuring itself out. They also work really well for the cheap aqara sleepy end sensors.

Mine generally connects 5. I have a few of the Tradfri plugs.

How are you guys figuring out which devices are routing through the mesh? I’d be really interested to see how my network is running.

Login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com/ and go to your devices. When you select a zigbee or zwave device, you can see the route it takes.

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is not uncommon for new electronics to fail. Over the years I have had issues with $900 new processors, motherboards, video cards, these are only cheap sensors. I bought them knowing that some might fail and I probably will not able to get replacement. They still average cheaper than what I was willing to pay.

How long has this been in the IDE? I never noticed it before!

1 Like

It’s been there for quite some time in one form or another. I saw it when it first came out a few months a go, and ST has kept improving it ever since!

1 Like

They’ve been implemented over the last couple months. Zwave was showing the routes backwards at first, but it’s been fixed. It’s extremely helpful. Would be even better to select a device and then see what other devices are routed through it. Maybe that’ll come soon.

2 Likes

I use a XBee to map my Zigbee network. Comes really handy If you have issues in your network and you want to see the whole picture. It also acts as a Zigbee router.

1. Is there a best practice for adding the Iris 3326-L to your network? I was looking at the thread below but seems conflicting and also with some with batteries going dead quickly. Iris Motion Sensor (2nd gen, 3326-L)

Edit: i added my first with no problem using the generic ST iris motion sensor device. Do people use a custom device handler for these to edit motion time out, etc?

1. I added the Iris 3310-L2 plug easily last night. So glad after reading many have issues with it. First Zigbee plug/repeater and then z-wave repeater (unplugged, plugged back in, put the hub in pairing mode, then hit the button on the plug 8 times; didn’t seem to work but it had added it to STv3 without me knowing).

2. I got batteries in my motion sensors. Wasn’t expecting it to be with batteries. Anyone using the ones that came with it from this bulk purchase or just replaced to start out fresh?

There are not user adjustable settings on these sensors that I am aware of. I would use the built-in DTH to ensure local processing as an option.

4 Likes

These are basically new devices that have been unboxed and bagged to limit the amount of space they take up.

Use the stock DTH.

Batteries that came with mine mostly are at 89%. I would wait until they needed to be replaced. These take a long time for the batteries to die. I have one that’s been nagging me for months to change (<15%)…

2 Likes

If you already have a strong Z-Wave mesh, I would skip adding them as Z-Wave repeaters. The Zigbee repeaters work great but I’ve had, along with others, issues with adding them as Z-Wave repeaters.

1 Like