Questions about SmartThings WiFi Mesh System

GE 12721 is Z wave classic, not Z wave plus.

Cool. Not sure I have any Zwave classic devices to test it out.

Kianoosh, Its2loud, JD,

I want to thank you all.

While the addition of a 50ft Ethernet cable would probably be an appropriate addition to my set of tools, the more cost effective solution might be to just replace (one by one) my classic z-wave devices with z-wave plus devices.

Kiannoosh, I think your comment “It’s always possible that they’ve changed things again, they were doing a lot with the Z wave platform last month” is very telling. As I am sure they are thinking they are improving the system, what is better for the goose is not always best for the gander. My migration to z-wave plus can only be a long term investment against things that Samsung may do in the future.

The next issue will be to find a convenient provider of z-wave devices at a tolerable price that does not require shipping. Generally speaking, I went to Lowe’s for my home control devices. They were not the closest store, but they usually had a good selection. Home Depot is closer and I notice that their selection of devices seems to be getting better. I will have to see if they carry z-wave PLUS devices. Somehow I don’t expect my local hardware store will have any of these.
Thank you all for your incite to the problem.
Todd

1 Like

Most Z wave devices sold now will be Zwave plus. It’s actually getting pretty hard to find classic anymore.

Home Depot usually Has a decent selection, although it does depend on where you live.

JD,
Thank you.

You have made an excellent summary of the things we have been discussing and reinforces my proposition to migrate to PLUS devices.

Todd

2 Likes

I would like to continue this conversation. The problem of Pings of Death and Large Pings has been confirmed, but Samsung refuses to address the problem. Their is plenty of information on the web about the malicious nature of these packets, yet Samsung refuses to acknowledge that their servers are communicating with their hubs with the packets. Short of finding another hub, I don’t quite know what to do.
With the help of Plume and TP-Link we have captured the string of packets coming from Samsung, directed to the Samsung hub. We have blocked the traffic (as is recommended by TP-Link) to maximize the security of my local network. When the traffic is blocked, the hub goes offline. When I stop blocking these packets, the hub comes back on line.
Does anyone have a solution (aside from leaving my network open.)
Todd

1 Like