Question on SmartTiles Kindle Fire browser play alert

I am planning to use a couple of Kindle Fires for my alarm/status panels with SmartTiles and thought it would be nice if you could setup a psuedo alert for when you enter the house when it is Armed. Is there any way to do something like that? I’d set my smartrule to wait 30-45 seconds before firing off real alarm while the panel chirps to remind you that the alarm is armed and needs to be disabled.

Make sense?

2 Likes

Might be able to do this with LANnouncer on there. It can run in the background on your Kindle Fire tablet and be used for audio alerts. I have not used mine to play sounds, but I know it supports Chimes and Alarms and custom audio files (premium version only, I think).

2 Likes

Great call out, @diehllane . Yes, if you can find or build an MP3 of the sound you want, you can use it with LANNouncer to play the arbitrary alert.

1 Like

thanks, i will dig into this. i was just going to use Hells Bells or something… :wink:

2 Likes

Great ideas, everyone!

A “notification engine” of some sort, is on our radar for consideration post SmartTiles V6 release. As with every feature, we don’t intend to replicate every feature of SmartThings’s native interface, nor other apps like Pushbullet, etc., … but there will be some stuff that @625alex may find is the right balance between development difficulty, stability risk, and user benefit.

2 Likes

Can you install this on a fire?

Looks to be a no from what I can tell. This looks like it would have fit the bill too.

I have it running on my Fire HD10.

1 Like

I tried to install from google store and it said I wasn’t compatible. Did not find it on amazon store. How did you get it?

He has a link to download it on the keybounce site.
http://www.keybounce.com/LANdroidHowTo/LANdroid.html#gettingit There’s a spot where he mentions how to download it from the site instead of Google Play.

But I believe I had it on my Android phone first for testing the Beta, then I put the APK into Box so I could retrieve it on the Fire.

Another option is rooting the Kindle Fire and putting the Google Play store and Google Play services on it so you can run any apps.

2 Likes

Ok I will dig around. Thanks. I don’t mind rooting it. It cost 39 bucks. Course it may be easier to return it and get the 37 dollar knockoff…
Thanks!

Should be some info in this thread on rooting it:

2 Likes

Thanks. Your link worked. It appears to be installed. I will see how this goes. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Question. It shows three options, one being WAN messaging but implies it is a premium. Is that the option I need? I selected that and it shows “user is not premium”

You should be fine with GCM (Google Cloud Messaging).

That is what I use on mine. I use mine connected to my Amazon Echo so that it can play the audio on a better speaker, louder, and more centralized (tablet is by the front door, Echo is centralized in the residence).

1 Like

ok thanks for the help. i got it installed and working. now just need to think my smartrules over on how i want to fire this and delay before firing my alarm siren. the built in alarm will work fine.

Following - like the idea!

2 Likes

did you incorporate this into ActionTiles?

Incorporate what, exactly? (But the short answer is probably: no… not yet, and not yet planned).

Sorry, I guess quote did not come through. Just looking back through this to get my panel back up and going and saw this comment from you

Great ideas, everyone!

A “notification engine” of some sort, is on our radar for consideration post SmartTiles V6 release. As with every feature, we don’t intend to replicate every feature of SmartThings’s native interface, nor other apps like Pushbullet, etc., … but there will be some stuff that @625alex may find is the right balance between development difficulty, stability risk, and user benefit.