Qolsys IQ Thermostat (ZTS-110) - Easy mode and swing temp

I wanted to change the swing temp, so I looked up the manual for my thermostat, and it looks like swing temp can only be modified when Easy Mode is off. So I did that. Problem is that this then puts a local schedule on the thermostat (just like any non-smart programmable thermostat), which of course isn’t necessary when controlling the thermostat with a Z-Wave controller. I discovered there is an override, and I figured it did just that – override the schedule. When I adjusted the temp in the ST app on my phone, the thermostat showed the change. Figured I was good to go.

Came home today and the house was 85 degrees!! Yikes! ST is set up to keep it at 76 when we’re not home. Just a little above the home temp, but not much, so it doesn’t take all evening to cool down. So I turned Easy Mode back on and things are back to the way they were.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to adjust the swing temp with Easy Mode turned on?
  2. Is there a way to adjust the swing temp in SmartThings?

The Qolsys IQ thermostat looks like a rebranded ZTS-110 thermostat according to the manufacturer specs. You should be able to set the swing, temperature sensitivity, deadband etc using this custom DTH:

With Easy Mode on or off, you can still program it remotely using an appropriate scheduling SmartApp with the 5-2 day thermostat or any of the various apps. Infact some apps support a remote sensor and custom swing so they can take over that function from the thermostat and handle swing within the app itself.

Thanks. Yes, it’s the ZTS-110. I’ve edited the subject line for clarity and search purposes.

So if the app controls the swing temp, how does the HVAC unit actually turn on and off? Normally, the app simply tells the thermostat to change its setpoint, and the thermostat tells the HVAC to come on or shut off based on the current temperature, taking into account the swing temperature. The default swing on the ZTS-110 is 2 degrees. If I set it at 1 degree in the app, will it actually change it on the thermostat, even if the thermostat is in Easy Mode?

If you want to use the swing on the actual thermostat then use the custom DTH above to set it.
If you’re using a SmartApp like the 5-2 Day Thermostat or the Motion Sensor Thermostat with a remote sensor and define the swing in the app, then the app takes over the thermostat functionality and handles the swing internally. It can be as low as 0.1 I believe, essentially the actual thermostat is like a dumb terminal which used to turn the heat/cool on/off by the app until the desired temperature is reached on the remote sensor(s). You can find more details on each app on their respective pages.
There are lots of apps to choose from which provide different functionality, but in all cases where you’re using a remote sensor/swing the thermostat itself is turned into a terminal.

Is there a way to purchase these apps and DTHs individually? You’ve obviously put a metric ton of work into them and they all look awesome, but buying them individually might be the better value for someone like me who only wants a couple.