[Q] Reasons for connecting smart things hub with philip hue bridge

Intending to buy samsung smartthing for other automated devices and phillip hue bulbs.

I found out that philip hue bulbs requires philip hue bridge to be able to control the lights with an app.

is there a point for connecting Philip hue bridge with Samsung smart things hub since i am able to control the lights with just philip hue bridge app?

2 Likes

Maybe i did not phrase it right

I have seen youtube videos linking smartthings hub and philip hue hub together.

Is it necessary?

Because i can control the lights with phillip hue hub app without linking smartthing and phillip hub together

What is the point of using smartthings app to control the lights when i can simply use philip hub app to control the lights. Feels like an extra step

Welcome Woody. I am not suggesting that you should not use the Hue bridge, but will add that I have 6 classic white hue bulbs included without a hue hub. They were marked for clearance at a local hardware store so I took a chance and they’re all working fine, surviving minus 45 degrees last winter in exterior fixtures.

as quoted from above link " Note: SmartThings’ Philips Hue integration requires use of the Philips Hue Ethernet Bridge. Connecting directly to Philips Hue lights is not currently supported. The Hue Bridge must be updated to firmware version 01016441 or later. To force your Hue Bridge to update its firmware: Close the Hue mobile app, unplug the Bridge for 10 seconds, plug it back in, and then restart the Hue app."

So it doesnt require a hue hub to get the lights working?

Thank you for your information

When you link your Hue bridge with SmartThings, You can then include your hue bulbs in your SmartThings rules. :sunglasses:

That means, for example, If your smoke alarm goes off you could have your Hue lights come on, your front door unlock, and your outdoor sprinklers go on all at the same time.

Or when you turn on your television at night, you could automatically dim the hue lights in the room.

Or you could have one Hue light turn blue when the mail arrives or when the washing machine is finished.

Or have one hue light turn orange if the toddler’s door is opened between 10 PM and 6 AM.

Or have a different hue light turn orange if the front door is still unlocked at 10 pm.

You will still be able to do anything that you do with the hue bridge and Hue’s own app, But now you will also be able to combine your Hue bulbs in rules with your other SmartThings devices. As you can see there are a lot of possibilities. :sunglasses:

(Although there are a few people who use Hue bulbs without the hue bridge, please read the FAQ about that. It can really mess up your zigbee network. :scream: )

If you have your Hue bulbs on a hue bridge And you don’t want to combine them with SmartThings, that’s fine. But once you do have them communicating with each other, you then have the option to do a lot more with your home automation system.

1 Like

Wow! Thats great help. Thank u!

Do i even need a hue hub now since i am able to connect the bulbs directly to smartthings

Yes, you need the Hue bridge/hub. See the FAQ.

FAQ: Do I need the Hue Bridge/Hub to Use a Hue Bulb with SmartThings?

Hi,

I have read the entire FAQ and doesnt make me smarter.

to make it simpler what smart switch with you advise me with the conditions:

1. Able to link with Smartthings
  2. Able to local control if the wifi is down
  3. Doesnt run on batteries

Thanks in advance

What country are you in? The available devices are different in different countries.

Im from Singapore. i have intention to use philip hue for my bulbs