Product Changes for 2017

Just another thank you to everyone who brought up the battery issue in this thread.

#SaveTheHubs

i don’t use batteries, hub is not reliable enough in a remote location that you don’t need the option to reboot periodically . I put mime on a 100 ups and a wifi switch so i can remotely reboot it

as for removing smart apps that developers dont support… Most likely this is because YOU DON’T support developers , we have had requests to publish smart apps and device types in the queue for over a year with you ignoring us…

Do be sure you never use a “surge protector outlet strip” attached to a UPS. Only use “dumb” splitters because a surge protector can mask the load from the UPS’s sensors.

1 Like

Off-topic, but since this thread is how I found out and because everyone else is posting here…leaking batteries in a v2 hub here too. Rayovac in a hub purchased August 2016. Removed and will not replace.

1 Like

Ditto, just checked batts. Leaking badly! They are Rayovac, purchased late Nov 2016! Seems like this deserves its own thread.

3 Likes
6 Likes

To anyone with leaky batteries please try this experiment if you have a volt meter. With your hub powered on and the batteries removed, put your meter across the opposing terminals at each end of the battery compartment. You should see a reading of 0 or perhaps a few millivolts. I am wondering if the hub is leaking DC onto the batteries which would also cause them to rupture.

2 Likes

Good advice. I was aware but thank you.

1 Like

And my wife says I over engineer everything. :wink:

Going to show her this for sure. :smiley:

2 Likes

Crud…leaking Rayovac batteries here, too. Hub plugged in about 8 months.

No UWP support pretty much ends my support to SmartThings. I was hesitant to use it because of the always-on internet connection needed part of the ST solution, but closing this will not help.

As for the support for Windows 10 desktop, if you don’t have an app, no one’s is going to use it, that’s for sure. Surface and 2-in-1 users are on the rise, you’re cutting yourself out of this base as well. I’d rather configure all the solution using an tablet than phone’s small screen.

Most of the code you have on your phone app could definitely be used in that UWP app, btw…

Too bad, really.

3 Likes

They can consider me as a customer lost as well and a few of my friends that were about to get the hub because of the success I was having.

Netflix app, PC Xbox phone
Nextgen Reader pc mobile

It’s not a static environment, some developers see HP’s, Microsoft, Alcatel, Acer, etc recent investment as a positive sign.

Sorry, I forgot to hold down the key when I typed that. They, ST try to look transparent, but they also don’t want to look bad.

Guess I will remove my Duracells as well. Better safe than disappointed.

@navyvet - Your hub revision seems newer than mine. My hub has been in service since the initial release (can’t recall date) so it should be one of the first ones and it still had the Mitsubishi batteries installed without a sign of leaks. I wonder if this issue affects newer hardware revisions.

In the IDE it says this for hw version:

hub v2, US customer Rev E

Can those reporting the issue confirm the hardware revision? I believe it to be a critical element in determining if this is an issue that affects all v2 hubs, or just some revisions.

The model number is different on the labels… my older model is STH-ETH-200 while your newer version is STH-ETH-250. Your model says made in Korea while mine interestingly does not show any country so my guess is that model 250 might just be just the result of some mfg optimization by integrating more in Samsung’s supply/mfg chain. Maybe my older model was made in the USA (just guessing given the bay area is full of small manufacturing companies that start ups often rely on and once big or acquired move to lower cost foreign mfg sites).

I also noticed the ZWAVE module has an extra -U at the end of the part number but I have not yet found what the difference is.

http://z-wave.sigmadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/ZM5304_br.pdf

(Side note: If you want to hide the SN then you should black out the bar code as well because anyone can get the SN from that :wink: )

2 Likes

Nextgen Reader and Netflix only have a legacy WP8.1 Silverlight app available for mobile.

I’m not an eletrical engineer but if I was, I’d say this is due to bad batteries. :slight_smile:

To dive a little deeper in the above poll… if you had batteries leaking, were they Rayovac or another type. I’m sure Samsung will want to address the issue before any warrantied hubs get damaged. At minimum inform people of the possible issue?

• Rayovac
  • Other

0 voters

So far people have reported the problem with four different brands of batteries, including some that the person purchased themselves. It’s not impossible that they were all bad, but statistically pretty unlikely.

2 Likes