Problems With SHM/Routines

Isn’t this owned by Samsung with Samsung employees? Seems odd that they wouldn’t have full attention to this. Not to mention the fact that they plan on integrating ST with their new 2016 Televisions.

No, not as such. ST is a separate unit but under Samsung, people constantly overplay how much of a hand Samsung is involved in SmartThings.

Anyway, you lot need much more understanding wives/significant others or don’t put them in situations where you need 99% reliability but won’t get it without paying to play. SmartThings is not it, Wink is not it, in fact ALL home automation hubs at this level are not it, heck even Control4 isn’t without its issues (but is a lot better).

I don’t throw a fit when we spend 3 hours shopping for shoes and handbags or her other hobbies and she doesn’t get annoyed at my hobbies. I’m constantly amazed that the people who seem to so easily get wound up would even CONSIDER something like Home Automation, if you want a light switch that works 99.999999999999999% of the time, might I suggest this:

It costs $0.69 and is extremely reliable with extremely high xAF.

3 Likes

oh, I guess it is my fault that I was led to believe I was purchasing a reliable product. Silly me. Daylight Savings Time must be a new phenomenon. Guess it snuck up on us with no notice.

Thanks for the heads up about those new fangled 69 cent light switches. Do you also know where I can find a horse and buggy? Since we’re reverting back to the 1900s I’d like to trade in my tesla for one of those.

1 Like

I’m having issues with my presense sensor, my routines and my notifications…are all of you seeing the same thing? Even when my alarm goes off…basically no matter what i do when a door opens it goes off, the siren doesn’t sound this week. What is happening?

I have now pull the plug on ST hub last night. It is behaving so irrationally that is completely not acceptable. I disagree with earlier comment about Wink and other systems being so poorly as well. That is not true. I am currently using 4 other systems. ST is by far the worst with unbelievable stability issues and poor performance. I am now in contact with Samsung upper management. I suggest you all not to take a kick back approach about this. ST desperately needs a clean up before this company folds up.

1 Like

Read through the thread. Random happenings have started about a week ago and seem to be getting worse since DST. Official page shows outage, but not much more. http://status.smartthings.com/

1 Like

When ST claims to enter the home security business, they need to change their attitude. This is not a joke. It is not about controlling a fan or refrigerator for your beer. There are security dependent on the reliability of the smoke detectors, burglary alarms, small children safety, etc. One of the four systems I currently have is alarm.com They rarely fail, including all the z-wave products. Although there is monthly monitoring fees, but the point is that a stable system can be built. So the earlier comments about these smart systems fail all the time is not accurate. You are just giving excuses to the ST management to do a poor job. When alarm.com fails, which happens rarely, they will make a very big deal about it and notify and explain to its customers. Meanwhile, ST just keeps on giving itself excuses and template reply to your inquiry about problem.

1 Like

You can disagree all you like but tell that to the folks that suffered ‘The Winkening’ and other multiple hub outages… If Wink is fine, why aren’t we all using Wink? Why are there many people (like me) who have moved from Wink to ST? Anyway, I’m not trying to turn this into an ST Vs. Everything else discussion, the fact remains that you shouldn’t expect 99% reliability from any of the hubs at this level, it just doesn’t exist.

Are there ‘better’ ones? Maybe but as you admitted, you’re going to be paying for it and they STILL fail from time to time.

Believe me, the ST team aren’t being given any excuses and I’ll give them as much trouble as the next guy.

I am sorry. But until you run 4 or more systems simultaneously, some for more than 4 years, I would not make any comments to compare any of these system’s reliability. ST is by far the worst and so badly that it even tries to charge for monitoring. So by saying that these guys are doing a great job trying is simply foolish.

And the comment about charging fees, if ST comes out to say they are a free system so people should not use it for serious purposes such as home alarm, then I will rest my case.

1 Like

I bow to your superior experience, it still doesn’t change the fact that ‘The Winkening’ happened along with multiple other hub outages for Wink users.

At no point have I said that ST is “doing a great job trying” or heck that they are even doing a great job right now, I’m just realistic with what to expect from ANY of these systems at this level and with your vast experience, you should by now too.

Your so awesome! When I grow up I want a system like yours!

Seriously? Your comment is laughable. Why? Because you don’t like it when people disagree with you. If you hate ST so much, leave. I’m sure there a class action lawsuit you can jump on.

1 Like

I am running Wink right now. I tell you that it is more stable than ST with better response. I have it running for more than a year now. Quirky went out of business earlier for similar reason that ST is experiencing right now. I discussed with GE’s VP which partnered up with Wink and Quirky. Small companies scale up usually suffer the fate of shutdown when they are incompetent and not able to change their mentality. I see ST is going down on this path with reduced, delayed, and templated customer service.

1 Like

This is quite true. Your observations are on point. They are incompetent, and have proved it daily for quite some time. It’s not funny, and it’s not fun, and I desperately want a viable alternative. The fact that after all this time they can totally screw some update and break pretty much everything, and then can’t roll back whatever the change was, is ridiculous. F’ing amateurs. At some point Samsung is going to realize that they bought a half baked joke, and shut it down.

@Ben, I hope you’re reading these comments. Or, @alex, fancy that. Fat chance.

4 Likes

Oh gees, now I KNOW you’re pulling my leg! Better response? Wink’s “local control” is about as fast as my ST hub’s cloud performance :smile:

And they went out of business because Ben Kaufman was an idiot. ST are certainly not on the same path Dorothy. In case you missed it, I ran a Wink hub for some time, even over a year myself so I know full well what I’m talking about.

Wink has been very good actually. I think they have actually spent time trying to stabilize. It really shows. I’m not bashing ST. I loved the system for a long time. I can tell you that the wink hub is performing flawlessly for me though and my fiancé won’t let me change back. It’s not as flexible but at this point I’m willing to give up some flexibility for reliability.

1 Like

I understand the frustrations you are all experiencing. I want to assure everyone on this thread we are working to fix these issues and do not take outages like this lightly. We are listening to your criticisms, but I want to ask you to refrain from attacking each other and keep this conversation going in a civil direction. Please report your specific problems to support@smartthings.com. If you have an older ticket or want help troubleshooting, pm me on the community or email jody@smartthings.com

6 Likes

Almost 5 days and no fix for the issues every day it bloes the siren and i have to temove the shm setup

Do smartthings think this is not a critical issue that is related to security system. If cannot resolve issues which is critical in 24hrs time frame why can’t smartthings rollback to the place where it worked before.

new updates means fixing bugs or doing enhancements or providing new feautures not causing critical issues.

2 Likes

I have. I’ve sent several follow-up PM’s to you. I’ve not received a response.

2 Likes

I attempted to remove SHM and then reinstall. This worked until I left the house. I have completely disabled SHM until this gets fixed. I feel like Scout must have my house on speed dial.

1 Like

Status page doesn’t say anything about routines. It appears that many are having the same issue as me: routines executing on their own. I had one that turns off all the lights in the house go off NINE times in FOUR minutes.

As is usual, the stats page is disingenuous and not all that helpful.

I know this is free, but I would pay for a more reliable system. I just don’t need the pro monitoring. I just want reliability… :worried:

I submitted my first ticket to support, unfortunately I do not have high expectations.

1 Like