Problems With SHM/Routines

Sorry for the Live Video!

2 Likes

Maybe not the case today, but my ticket for this issue was entered on 3/3/2016ā€¦

2 Likes

I see those messages too

Itā€™s a hot mess with my office hub notifications showing in my home hub notifications stream too. Not a lot of sand boxing apparently. Maybe these mystery events people report with ghost actions unexplained are just someone elseā€™s events ending up on your system. If my one hub can place data into my other hub something is screwy.

Yes SHM and Routines are not working for me since morning. And I agree, unreliability of SmartThings is making me rethink my home automation story. Iā€™d rather prefer a dumb (reliable) home than a smart (unreliable) home. And it appalling to see the support take such a long time to fix this critical (relating to security and automation) issue. Sigh.

Well it is nice to see I am not the only one with problems with routines. However I feel it is more of an hiccup than a failure of device. If everyone got it right the first time and on every update I think we should be ā€œgodsā€. I am more happy we have a develop team that is willing to work on it and not just blow us off. I have been in many new emerging devices that the worst part was the tech support. I donā€™t feel like that here and good luck finding the errant code or issue you have.

Your story is interesting and your experience is shared by many Community folks who are empathetic and could offer suggestions and other assistance to help you continue the smart home adventureā€¦ even with competitorsā€™ products.

You donā€™t critize individuals and you describe the ā€œfamilyā€ element that is critical to success of this technology in our households. As co-developer of SmartTiles, I appreciate hearing these stories, even as I flinch in sympathy.

I also totally share your feelings that SmartThings really presents a lot of evidence that they lack QA and even the leadership that should have invested in scaling long ago. They seem to have a myopic perspectiveā€¦ Or maybe it is a very long range perspective that doesnā€™t truly take into account the trouble this is causing to current customers who are only a fraction of their goal of millions.

If you want your story to be heard and not censored, just do a quick edit :pen_ballpoint: and remove the specific offensive words? Just a suggestion. (BTW: Your post got 10 ā€œLikesā€ prior to being censored for languageā€¦ thatā€™s pretty darn popular. Youā€™ve expressed something that people agree with.).

The ā€œCommunityā€ is a uniquely praised feature of SmartThings. Take advantage of this feature.

5 Likes

I hear you, and I appreciate the response. If theyā€™re interested in censoring their customers then they have more issues than I suspected after reading this entire thread. I honestly donā€™t care what they do with it. It needed to be said. It is that frustrating. The product is great when it works but it is an absolute deal breaker if it is not reliable. I can understand bugs and unforeseen problems, those happen. They just absolutely cannot linger for multiple days at a time when we have sandboxed ourselves into controlling the thing we use the most as humans - our homes - to their shitty foresight. It also does not take a lot of foresight to test such things as, you know, daylight savings time. Do we need to alert the ST team that Easter is coming too? Cinco de Mayo? Do they own calendars? I wish I was joking.

The fact that theyā€™ve had to send this problem up the chain to ā€œengineersā€, and they then carefully go through the problem solving process for days, is a joke. Perhaps if they sent code changes to ā€œthe engineersā€ instead of launching the god damn code onto production boxes first, we wouldnā€™t be here.

5 Likes

SmartThings (I guess specifically the moderators they assign to this Forum), are really good about not censoring general complaints and rants, though they will try to steer and categorize discussions and have a strict stance on a few things ā€¦ profanity, personal attacks, spam.

You joined ā€¦ 6 hours ago and already have that perspective? I joined 3 years ago (or more ā€¦ there was an old forum before this one) ā€¦ and youā€™re basically not wrong.

The frustrating part is seeing the same types of failures ā€œtodayā€ (i.e., over the past few weeks), that we saw 1 year ago, 2 years ago, and ā€¦ 3 years ago. While some parts of the system have definitely improved, and perhaps the statistical uptime is technically better, and thereā€™s gotta be some allowance for their growth ā€¦ it just doesnā€™t add up that quality control hasnā€™t been fixed, nor have some bugs or annoyances discussed years ago. I know of some specific internal operational issues, but we have zero influence on STā€™s strategy and other process & procedures.

1 Like

Sorry, I had a bit of a :scream: and then :joy: reaction to the taco meat incident. In all seriousness though, this is the exact reason I went with smart switches instead of bulbs. Have to engineer out the mistakes in order to increase WAF.

3 Likes

I must say I didnā€™t expect the issue to drag on this long. Itā€™s really disconcerting that the status is still in ā€œInvestigatingā€ phase and this problem has existed since last Friday. Surely it wouldnā€™t be that difficult to roll back any changes they made. I donā€™t know, just seems really suspicious to me.

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming that all of this is why the Z-Wave network repair application is no longer working.

The scientists hard at work stepped in it, and canā€™t roll back. Forward is the only path. The path is cloudy and uncertain, and well, good luckā€¦

Lots of things are not working.

Week, I do know that my speech alert telling me that my garage door was now closed is working. It told me so this morning! Of course the garage door did not close since it was not closing and it had not been open.

I guess maybe it thought I was wondering if the door was openā€¦ But hey! It works!

Yes, but take a close look at the status page. It shows that the service disruption only started yesterday, so they are actually doing a great job!

Self serving bs.

2 Likes

Iā€™m no expert on this stuff. All I know is my SHM has been randomly switching from away, stay & disarm like everybody has talked about here & I have nothing fancy installed. On 3/13 & 3/14, almost every time I opened the basement door to have a stupid smoke most of the lights came on in my house.

At least, since 3/15, that doesnā€™t happen even though SHM was stuck in ā€œstayā€ mode some of the times.
Has STā€™s shut off part of that app?

I feel your pain ā€œmaestromā€ ā€¦!!! I had to convince my wife also that STs was the way to go since she wasnā€™t a techy individual either. We already had a Samsung Smart cam for over a year before we knew anything about Smarttings. That opened the door to jump in with both feetā€¦!!! 13 LIFX bulbs, 7 ST motion sensors, 6 ST multi sensors, 1 ST arrival sensor, 1 Aeon siren, 1 Kwikset Z wave lock and 2 Amazon Echos laterā€¦STs has a major meltdown apparently attributed to Daylight Savings Time. Its like being a ā€œcrack addictā€ā€¦now Iā€™m invested into STs and its NOW financially difficult to back out of itā€¦!! Iā€™m luckier than most as my wife and I are retired and we are at home 90% of the time to defend our home but I really feel for those who have to leave and go to work everyday. I have all the same complaints that others have experienced in the last few days, routines and lights not triggering, SHM acting crazy and many false alarmsā€¦ohā€¦and my smart cam not even recognized by STs. Platform stability should be the number 1 priority not making smart cars with STs. Informing current customers via email concerning system status and things they should expect and do during the ā€œoutageā€ā€¦!! Iā€™m sure their isā€¦more to come concerning incidents like thisā€¦!!! I hope your future ones donā€™t contain taco meatā€¦WTFā€¦!!!

I suggest we form a consumer advocacy group now. Clearly, ST management lacks the ability to get things straighten. They took out chat and I can not even get on the phone with them. Evidently, they are having too many angry customers and a plate full of technical problems that they do not have people to solve. Yet they still market the product. From my experience, they are on a path to destruction and if the consumers do not get any collective force put together, we will suffer either with perpetual bad product performance or products that will no longer perform because it is out of business. I understand how much everyone loves the idea and want to give ST a chance, and I know how difficult it is to start a company. But I have tried many smart home systems, and ST is by far the least reliable system and especially is not stable enough to be used as a home alarm.

Again, for the most part, Iā€™m no expert. I think STā€™s will get all this stuff fixed soon and we will all be happy again in the next few days. Have a beer, relax & have positive thoughts.

1 Like

Same issue here:

This worked for meā€¦ Nice little work around until they fix the issues with security.