Presence Timeout

What does this setting do on my hub?

I also noticed this as a new setting. I’ve not changed it yet because I’m not sure what it changes. I’m wondering if it is kind of a delay before it marks you as gone or arrived to the location? Maybe @urman will know?

1 Like

You can set the amount of time it takes for a presence tag to be marked absent.

So if you’re having problem with it checking in and out a lot for no reason you can set it to be longer to get rid of false positives. Or if you want it faster you can increase it. I think default is 2 minutes.

Awesome, thanks for the update Andrew! Glad to see little features like this getting added. I need one for association now!

Yep, this is handy. After I got the new zigbee outlet they are shipping I haven’t really had any issues. I also think the old zigbee outlet was causing a lot of problems with the tags as well.

I’ve been looking to reduce the timeout length to get the presence tags to show “away” faster. Would it be possible to add values less than 2 minutes? Maybe 1.5, 1, .5 minutes? I don’t see anything less than 2 minutes in the drop down.

@bbfelts I don’t think so. Not without modifying the firmware on the presence tag. When it is “Home” it checks in every 2 minutes to conserve battery power, where as when you are away it ramps that up to every 15 seconds.

Cory I thought they were having trouble with the Zigbee outlet and switched to a Zwave outlet, which is what my kit came with. Is there a new Zigbee outlet, because right now I’m using the ST Motion as a repeater to help get more reliable presence .

BTW, when I post using “Reply” the name of the person I’m replying to doesn’t show up. Am I doing something wrong?

@tonyfalcone Yeah the original zigbee outlet had a ton of issues. besides a high rate of failure it seemed like it stopped repeating randomly and would make the fobs act nuts. They replaced it with a new zigbee outlet that is fantastic. It has the same zigbee radio as the hub and extends the range very far. I set mine up in the Garage on a ceiling outlet used for the lights. Main purpose being to extend over the driveway for when we pull up, but has a added bonus of controlling the lights in the garage too.

This forum is rather basic I’m afraid. To tag someone click their name and copy the @theirname tag and paste it in your reply.

@coryds that’s exactly where I am going to put one, thanks.