Potential SC/Wink user looking to convert. Any Quirky support?

quirky

(Bob Strenger) #1

Hello,

I originally came from Staples Connect (SC) and was really happy with the product all around until a few months back when they stopped supporting / developing the product (as I’m sure most people know). I switched to Wink and it’s been a headache (for many reasons) ever since. Especially with delays, but mostly unsupported functions and instability.

For me to change over, I’m hoping someone has created a way to connect the Quirky Tapts, Trippers and Outlinks or even the Power Pivot Genius strips.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

(Bernie H) #2

Use the search(magnifying glass) on each of those terms there looks to be device handlers for all of them, so they should all work. I personally use the trippers so can vouch they work.

(Bob Strenger) #3

Awesome! thanks Bernie!

(Someday my dog will be automated) #4

I have all, except for the Outlink. They work with ST fairly well. The Tripper requires a custom code and the Tapt pairs as a generic Zigbee switch. You just don’t have the ability to trigger things, like you have with Wink.
That being said, they work, but they are not supported in local control as of now. Still, ST cloud works faster than the previous Wink speed.

(Bob Strenger) #5

Thanks RODOLFO,

So with the Tapt, you can’t leave power on to a connected smart bulb and still have it shut off the bulb?

(Someday my dog will be automated) #6

No. It will work as a regular on/off switch.

(Bob Strenger) #7

Well, I just got back from purchasing the ST hub!

(Bob Strenger) #8

Can you tell me how to get a Tripper working? I just got the hub and although I’ve now had SC and wink, it’s still all new to me at this stage. That will change in a week or two, but for now, I don’t know. Once I see how this is done, it’ll likely give me a good idea on other non-officially-supported devices can work. thanks!

(Someday my dog will be automated) #9

Yes, indeed. You need to go first to the IDE on your browser and login with your account: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/login/auth
Then you go to the “MY Device Handlers” tab and click on the green button to create a new device handler.
Then go to the “From Code” tab and there just copy and paste the code from here: https://github.com/mitchpond/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/mitchpond/quirky-wink-tripper.src/quirky-wink-tripper.groovy
Then you click on create. On the next page you click on “Save” and then on “Publish” and choose “For me”. And that’s it.
After that just go to the Marketplace in the app, connect a device and it will recognize it.

Here’s an official overview for the custom code by the great JD: FAQ: An Overview of Using Custom Code in SmartThings

(Someday my dog will be automated) #10

Also, Bob. I don’t know if this is the best moment for you to be trying ST, or some may argue that it is exactly the best moment to try it. It’s been three days and my time-based events are not triggering properly. This happens every once in a while, but it usually doesn’t happen if you are a new user. As I’ve always said, take advantage of the return policy. I hope you got it from the HD which gives you a 90-day return policy, just in case.

(Bob Strenger) #11

I didn’t get it from HD. I did get the Wink there and I have till the 28th to return it. I wanted to get the ST from HD, but they only sell the kit and I just wanted the hub, which I was able to buy last night at Sears. I never shop there, but they had it in stock.

(Bob Strenger) #12

Thanks Rodolfo! Going to try this later this evening. I may be new to ST, but I’m very technically skilled and have a lot of QA and software background, so I’m hoping to dive into the programming at some point. Just requires time, which I’m a bit short on at the moment and I have to focus on testing ST in the next 30 days.

(Someday my dog will be automated) #13

Yeah. I recall you buying the Wink hub from HD and me telling you to give it a try first. Well, I hope ST works for you and you find it to be the system for you. Let me know if there is anything you need help for anything. As a fellow Wink user, I understand the pain of my family saying that automation are not firing up fast enough.