Poor Mans Garage Door Opener help

I misunderstood the way you want to use it.
In that case it will work, using the NC contact.

Hi Joel, this is the relay I used in my project:

Are you wanting to go with a timed relay output to add extra redundancy to the function in case the app doesn’t toggle the outlet (and therefore the relay coil) ?
When I looked at your relay choice I think its not the right thing because, to me it looks like its another DELAY timer.
Daniel’s points and suggestions are right on the money (you need a one shot AND mechanical contacts-not solid state). A DPDT is really unnecessary as you only really need a SPST or SPDT but if availability and price are an issue then go with DPDT if that’s all there is (its just extra sets of contacts that you can use or not)

In a later post Daniel agrees the relay I choose will work in my setup in the following way.

1. Smart Plug using the app from a post above to turn off the Smart Plug
  2. Input to relay(Coil)
  3. Output to garage door contacts ( Time delay will cycle the contacts as safety precaution if plug doesn’t go off.)

It is a delay but an off delay depending on the contacts chosen.

also, if you do go with a One Shot relay (because you want the extra redundancy) then the relay needs a separate “trigger” input to fire the toggling action so the relay can activate, and then drop back out after the timer expires. So, I guess you have to make a decision of cost vs convenience. For me it was the KISS principle.
All the components I got from my local electrical wholesaler (I tried an electronics supplier first, but these relays are better suited to electrical application than electronic). So if you have any electrical suppliers near you, it might be quicker and easier than ordering online ? then you can at least discuss with someone in person what it is you need and they can advise.
Just my 2 cents !
Rob

If you look at the diagram on the side of the relay it will definitely work. No trigger needed , as the plug power is the trigger. The timer starts working as soon as power is supplied to the coil, and then the contact opens after the timer times out. The key is making sure the plug turns off. That is why I choose the time delay as I don’t trust SmartThings to always work.

again, “Time Delay” is not a toggle event (switch on/off). Its is only a DELAY action,meaning it waits the set amount of time and then it closes the contacts and keeps them closed (or open depending on which set of contacts you use).
It does not toggle, A One Shot timer does toggle.
So,the only way to get the Time Delay to reset (toggle) is to switch the outlet (using the app). So what then is the purpose of the fancy relay, if in the end you are relying on the the app to reset ??
Unless I totally misunderstand what the configuration is doing, it might be best to talk with a local supplier in your area to ensure you are getting what you are hoping to accomplish.

As I said before I just feel more secure, that it can’t stay on after the delay is fired.

the trigger reference was for the One Shot relay.
I couldn’t see the diagram clearly to view the connections, but if your confident, then I’d say go for it !

I have used time delay in motor controllers, and if I am correct this one should work. My concern, is SmartThings sometimes can screw up an automation, and if the relay stays closed, not sure how it would affect the garage door.
The relay you choose, does it close then open on it’s own, or you need to remove power from it?
I would feel more secure if the smartapp ran local not in the cloud.

my relay is just a simple standard spst power relay that I’ve used in many control applications as well, power has to be removed (hence why the app).
I looked up the timing diagram of the H3Y and still don’t see how the output toggles when input (pins 13,14) is applied. I only see the delay time to maintain, then reset by dropping 13/14.
But like I said, maybe I’m missing something basic here

I really like the idea of building in that redundancy of not relying on the app. So I will do the same as you are doing when you get it up and running in my V2 !

I see what you are saying. I am just not sure if the timer will turn On or turn Off. If I use terminal 5 & 9 NO then if the timer is to turn OFF then it would work. The question is does the timer turn on or off. If the timer turns on then it is useless. Can’t find info on the relay. But I still want a timer for the reasons I stated above. I just wish the app ran local, then I wouldn’t have such trepidation.

Not necessarily.

DELAYED INTERVAL
Single Cycle Upon application of input voltage, the time delay (t1) begins. At the end of the time delay (t1), the output is energized and remains in that condition for the time delay (t2). At the end of this time delay (t2), the output is de-energized. Input voltage must be removed to reset the time delay relay.

Link: Understanding Time Delay Relay Functions | Macromatic Industrial Controls, Inc.

But you still rely on ST (and/or webcore) to control the outlet and you need that to be able to repeat the cycle.
If you look above, I posted my modification to an outlet isolating the contacts so I can use it directly with garage door opener. If something doesn’t work, I can still turn it on or off from ST.
The relay that @Rob_G uses is also made by Allen-Bradley (Rockwell Automation), SquareD (Schneider Electric) etc. It’s standard miniature relay.

Found the answer.

Is this a timer for delaying on, or for delaying off?

It can be either. It is a double pole, double throw switch. When voltage is applied to the input the two normally closed contacts remain closed until the preset time delay at which time it switches and the two normally open contacts are now closed (and the normally closed contacts are opened). It remains in that state until voltage is removed from the input. Hope that answers your question

Will this timer repeat the cycle or it is one time cycle? If just one time does anyone know of a repeat timer of same specification?

A: No! This relay starts timing when power is applied, and the contacts stay held until power is removed. When power is removed, the timer resets itself to 0 minutes, and will begin timing when power is applied again.

No. Contacts do change state back.
At the end of the time delay (t1), the output is energized
At the end of this time delay (t2), the output is de-energized

Also look at page 2 here https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/357/105A_TDRSRX_TDRSOX-1641.pdf

1 Like

So Daniel are you saying it will work or not, I am now totally confused. t2 is what I want to happen.

Contacts will close at the end of t1 and open at the end of t2. That’s exactly what you want. But are we tal;king about your relay or the theoretically discussion about timers?
Your’s will work on the NC contact but still rely on ST. Did you look and consider my previous post regarding modification of the controlled outlet?

1 Like

I am not sure exactly how that would be done? Are we talking about opening the outlet, and physically modifying it? How did you modify inside?

Yup, Daniel is 100%, the delayed Interval (not delayed On) function is exactly what you/I want.
Nice one Daniel, now just have to get one locally!

I see it but not sure what you did but sound great.