Pool temperature sensor (2021)

I was wondering if anyone has any smart ideas on temperature sensor for pools. I don’t know what can survive the chlorine. Anyone with a smart solution? :grinning::thinking:

There have been a few discussions on this with some creative solution, please use search to find all. Here is an example of one:

Excellent question. You’re right that swimming pools are very harsh environments. It’s not just the chlorine, it’s the fact that large amounts of chlorine are dumped in at once and then allowed to disperse through the pool. So this creates a very damaging environment due to that initial application.

What country are you in? The device selection does vary.

There are some devices made specifically for pool monitoring, but they are usually part of a larger system, not an individual temperature sensor that you could use with smartthings.

Also, you probably already know this, but you can’t just put a battery operated device in a baggie and try that. batteries can and do out gas. So the enclosure needs to be one designed for that kind of operation.

Qubino makes some zwave devices which can take an attached probe sensor, and the manufacturer recommends them for swimming pool monitoring. So that’s probably the simplest choice. Just make sure you put the relay device up out of the splash zone for the pool and well protected from the water.

In the US, The Smartest House carries the Qubino line:

In the UK, Vesternet carries the same line as well as some other brands like “secure.“

Thank you for a good answer. I have read about this a little. Does sound like the solution I will go for, il order it this week and tell you how it goes

/Johan
Sweden

1 Like

You might want to wait a few more days, it sounds like even the Qubino may no longer work after the recent changes to the smartthings platform. We’re hoping to find out more about this in a different thread:

1 Like

Hello All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Qubino Z-Wave Plus On Off Thermostat 2 ZMNKID3 does work with Smartthings. I got it to connect, took a couple tries, then had to change the device type to Qubino Thermostat. I have only had it installed for a day, but after initial testing seems good to go.

I have the temp sensor installed into a thermowell that is in a 2" Slip x 2"Slip x 1/2" FNPT PVC tee I cut into my pool piping.

1 Like

Hi there, any chance you could share a pic of how you setup your thermowell with the Qubino? I’m looking to do something similar and debating whether I want to cut out some piping to make this work. Does the sensor have contact with the actual water and are there any issues with the pool chemicals making contact with it?
Thanks.

Hello,

The sensors does not touch the water as I used a thermoses. It was simple to install, but did need to cut some pipe.

Thanks,

Matt Randolph