PC Control for Setup and Programming

I am new here and I am doing my research so when my new hub (V3) and my switches and motion sensors arrive, I can dive into automating my home. I am very excited to start this project.

2 years ago I made the investment to automate my saltwater aquarium and it was the best decision ever.

When programming the controller for the tank, I found that it was much easier using the web browser access over the phone app for programming and set up. Once its set up, the controlling is easy with the app but the code writing is nice to have a mouse and keyboard.

Is there a way to configure or program Smartthings from a PC via web browsers?

Lastly, i found when automating my tank, I did most of my programming at my desk at work as I had room to work and time to do it! It would be nice to be able to write the code and complete the automation from my desk vs on my phone.

This is a deal breaker for me and I will look into a different controller if this is not possible.

First things first: I would definitely not use smartthings to control an aquarium. It’s just not reliable enough. The company says so themselves in the product usage guidelines:

https://www.smartthings.com/guidelines

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests. For example, because temperature readings may vary significantly from reading to reading on an individual device, between devices, or over time, those readings should not be used to control heating and cooling in environments where food spoilage, health risks, or damage to physical goods could occur.

OK, that out of the way, there is a web interface to view your SmartThings cloud account, but you can’t program any rules there.

Some people use an android emulator on a PC so they can run the app.

Since it sounds like you have a strong technical background, there is a community created rules engine which is very powerful and essentially serves as a scripting language for smartthings. And that does have a web interface you can use on a desktop. ( The topic title is a clickable link)

So if you do go with smartthings, you will probably want to use webcore, and you can use that on a laptop. But again, I would not recommend it for aquarium maintenance. But if you were just using that project as an example of why you prefer a desktop interface, and you intended to use smartthings for the usual lighting control, then that’s a different issue.

Speaking just for myself, I don’t use smartthings for anything where there would be a safety issue if a device unexpectedly turned on or off for 24 hours. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I am not using the smartthings to control the aquarium. That has its own separate controller. After seeing what I can do with programming that controller, i wanted to expand that to controlling my house so I decided on Z-wave as my platform of choice and it seemed smartthings was the best choice for a hub. That was until I started looking for a web browser version of the app!

As far as my technological intelligence goes, i would say i know enough to get myself in trouble but very willing to learn. Once I get the Startthings hub, I will play around and see if it works for me. I have grand ideas of how i want the smart things to work. Applying that will be the challenge.

2 Likes

webCoRE should be included as the goto ST rule engine. You’ll love it! Good Luck!

4 Likes

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.