Outside SmartLock (for gate)

project_gates

(Kyle ) #1

Hello All

Longtime no post and all that, been moving and renovating a house from the ground up for the last 6 months so ive not had time to be tinkering… however its been a blessing to renovate a home with the preperation for smart tech, this time round we will be going all out with more cool ideas :slight_smile:

Whoch leads me to a question…

SMART LOCKS - most seem to be made for your typical front door, weatherproof on one side and the other side expected to be inside… however i have a large wooden gated entrance to the side of my home i want to put a smart lock on…

Does anyone know of a smart lock that would suit this type of case study, its to be attatched to a large wooden gate outside with both sides exposed to the weather…

Kind regards
Kyle

(Robin) #2

I used a stainless steel magnetic lock on my external wooden gate.

I combined it with a digital keypad (with RFID) on the outside frame and electronic ‘push to exit’ button on the inside frame.

Tied it all together with:

• A Fibaro dual relay (one relay to power down the magnet, the other to disable the push button when SHM is armed)
  • A Fibaro contact sensor (to take the wired ‘mag lock engaged’ output signal)

Edit: It costs more but if I did it again I would use two single relay modules rather than the dual version I currently have. CoRE has issues seeing the current state of the dual relays and I ended up having to use rule machine and virtual switches to create ‘mirrors’ that CoRE could handle.

Fully weatherproof SmartLock (Both Sides)
What is your favorite Smart Device and why,
[DEPRECATED THREAD: visit community.webcore.co for assistance] WebCoRE - Example Pistons
Simeon Tuitt Smart Door Locks And UK Smart Lock Smart Home Integration Ideas
Your Ideas for New ST-compatible Security Products Needed for Academic Project
(Kyle ) #3

Sounds like a fantastic solution but possibly more complex that i may need… or maybe im wrong and youve hit it on the head.

I have a Ring Doorbell to go on the gate setup also, this large gate is before our front door - so its good for us because we can stop people reaching the house, so we have purchased a ring doorbell as our point of interaction with people at the otherside of the gate.

In terms of locks i dont there for need one with an inbuilt doorbell and nor a keypad really (however if its just as easy id be happy to adopt a keypad instead of key lock - its cool and useful i guess)

But in basic i just want something plug and play really that i can unlock with a key or keypad or buzz to open once ive seen who is there on the ring doorbell without having two big units on the gate to confuse people (ring doorbell & a large keypad)

:slight_smile:

(Robin) #4

You don’t have to use the keypad I chose…and actually what I didn’t include above was the use of a Fibaro universal sensor to pick up the door bell button (though I would just use another Fibaro contact sensor if I did it again due to the unreliability of the universal sensor!)

Any external control unit would work so long as it has a normally open (NO) output.

I’ll post some other eBay examples later.

Hell… If you’re happy to rely on ST and don’t want physical external control then all you need is the mag lock, 2 relays, push button and a 12v power adapter.

Of course if the Internet is down when you come home you won’t be able to open it!! That’s why I used the dumb time delay controller and keypad.

The Fibaro relay just acts like another push button in the following diagram.

(Kyle ) #5

I think you have hit the nail on the head, i just need to find Sparky mate who can put this together for me because my tinkering is very limited hence looking origonally for a plug and play option, but i agree this will work better :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Kyle (uk)

(Tolik) #6

This is what I went with. It’s not exactly “smart” but it’s a lot less complicated.

(Robin) #7

Apart from the fact it’s not available in the UK, the ‘mighty mule’ looks like a nice budget solution!

Just needs a smart relay attached to the push button input to unlock remotely. (Does the lock remain released as you hold the button, or does it relock after a few seconds quickly even when held)

A stumbling block for me however would be that it has no mechanism / signal to confirm if the lock is actually engaged with the plate (so it could be locked but with the gate wide open). The mag lock has a dry contact signal to confirm the magnet is actually engaged and secure.

Also, the ‘mighty mule’ requires that wires be routed on the moving part of the gate… Too easy to tamper with and looks unsightly.

Here is how a mag lock setup can look… It’s nice a neat:

(Kyle ) #8

This is exactlyyyyy the style and type of gate i hve and the route im going to take now :slight_smile:

As for knowing if the gte is open or closed you could atttched an open close sensor to know the gates state :slight_smile:

(Robin) #9

I also have that (Sensative strips) but the gate can be 5mm ajar, enough to tell the strip the gate is closed but not enough for the magnet to engage.

I have a rule setup to warn me if the Sensative strip says closed but the mag lock says open!!

(Bob) #10

Hi @RobinWinbourne
This is nearly the same as my gate setup.
Mine hinges on the right (yours is left from the secure area) and my garage hinges on the garage.
So ideally I could put power supply in garage.
I can see no wires in your set up.
How is it wired up in your setup?
Thanks
Bob

(Robin) #11

The timber post is bolted to my garage wall, wires go through the side of the post straight into the garage where I have the control box mounted.

(Bob) #12

Thanks.
You house/garage setup is the same as mine but unfortunately mine hinges from the other side.
I could rehinge from the other side easily enough as the mounting posts are of identical width.
Something for me to think about now.
I’ve always found it a pain in the xxxx to have to go in the house and unlock the gate when I get home to go straight to my garden or put the bins away.

(Robin) #13

You could run a neat metal conduit down the gate post and then under the gate threshold into the garage but won’t be as neat. Also, drilling into the garage from such a low level will be difficult.

Re-hinging the gate is a good option but puts a lot of extra strain on the fence post. Make sure your post is strong enough with a good foundation.

(Bob) #14

The gate posts are bolted to the house and garage walls so should take the load ok.
I would like to have it as neat as yours with no wires showing.
Have to have a think if it’s worth £200 and a bit of work because I’m lazy :wink:

(Robin) #15

@bobbles

Yeah… Took me the better part of a whole day to rig this one up!!

(Trent) #16

Would you kind enough to share the different relay that you would have used? I would like to replicate the setup and a buy list would be awesome!

(Robin) #17

I swapped the Universal sensor over to a Fibaro contact sensor with dry contact input, they have been discontinued but still available on Vesternet (in brown only) if you’re quick:

(Kevin Westlake) #18

You should do installs I’d have you round to do mine. Looks great btw

(Michael Schneider) #19

What’s the hardware on this? Could you post links to buy? Has anyone ever successfully used an August lock outside, perhaps by putting in an iron overhang around the lock to protect it from the elements?

(Robin) #20

The hardware is all listed in the second post.

Been working flawlessly for over 2 years now!