Outdoor sensor for a garage gate?

(Rakeshagrawal) #1

I’m looking for an outdoor sensor for a garage gate that I can use to detect whether my outdoor gate is open or closed. Something like the multi but will work outdoors. Any suggestions? I’m relatively new to the world of Zigbee Z-Wave and SmartThings. I bought the starter kit and have my garage door sensor (SmartThings Multi) working great!

(Todd Wackford) #2

A lot of people are using the multi on their roadside mailboxes. You should be able to use it on your gate. Unless there is something I’m not thinking of.

Twack

(Smart Things) #3

I would wrap it in a plastic bag if it could get wet. This may affect temperature readings but the main thing is the open/close I would suspect.

(Jim) #4

I’m actually curious, what sort of range should we expect out of the multis? My barn is about 50 yards from the hub (an exterior wall on barn/house each) and a 10’ drop. Should I just be able to take a multi out there? If not, is there a Zigbee range extender, or would I need to put a second hub in the barn? I haven’t really tried, I’ve kept them to the main house & garage mostly.

There are lots of scenarios I could use it for out there; water/temperature in the cupboard with the hot water heater, temperature/light at the chicken house, door open/closed for the forgetful folks.

(F5snopro) #5

Just received my kit Friday but it looks like the motion sensor functions as a range extender when used with USB power. Maybe an option there.

(Todd Wackford) #6

If you put a smartsense motion in the barn and power it through the mini-usb port and a wall wort, it will act as a zigbee repeater. A powered zwave outlet will act as a Zwave repeater.

HTH,
Twack