Osram Lightify Device Firmware Updates?

@tpmanley, is there a time frame for the rollout for the firmware update for Osram devices? I am going to shutdown my Garden Spots until this is available. Can’t deal with the constant resets.

Mine are all up to date and I still have resets. Firmware will not help. It’s one bulb and now my light strip turns on about 6 times a day.

@joewom What is the firmware version on your OSRAM lights?

One of the theories is that it’s related to the small buffer size of the Osram bulbs. During heavier traffic, some speculated that this caused the bulb to turn on (this also caused reliability issues as messages were dropped). I know ST slowed the traffic down to minimize the problem. If this is correct, I wish the repeater function of the Osram bulbs could be turned off.

I’ll look but yesterday I connected it to the lightify hub and said it was up to date.

and they just reset again as they are on and white again.

I can’t say when the OTA firmware will be released, but it is moving through the release process. In the meantime, if you are having any issues either with OSRAM (or GE Link bulbs for that matter) or you have OSRAM/GE Link and you’re having problems with other devices, this is what I recommend:

• Power off all your OSRAM/GE Links (at the switch or unscrew the bulbs)
  • Wait 15 minutes
  • Reboot your hub (through the web interface or just pull power and remove batteries)
  • Power all the OSRAM/GE Links back on

This will try to force any end devices to join through other routers or directly to your hub instead of through OSRAM/GE Links. In my testing this significantly improved the reliability of the OSRAM/GE Links and kept them from turning on unexpectedly. Note that if you don’t have any routers besides these bulbs then this method may not help.

@joewom since you’re still having problems and you’re on the latest firmware I’d recommend contacting OSRAM directly.

Ill chime in. The updates to my osram bulbs was rock solid, before i was having random bulbs turning on and half the bulbs just would not work. After the up;date, no issues at all since.

1 Like

Wonder why I have issues on two of the 6 devices. Going to call osram.

0x01020492 is my version, plus updating and cycling the bulbs fixed a routing issue I had with a motion sensor.

let me also add, I have the bulbs as GE Link in my devices so that they are local devices. No issues, and actually that works better than osram which i cant even find in the device handlers anymore.

The OSRAM DTHs have been retired and rolled into ZigBeeBulb or ZLLBulb DTHs (depends on which bulb you have). Though for standard On/Off/Dim bulbs I recommend the GE Link DTH noted above as it runs locally.

1 Like

@tpmanley
Thanks for the procedure! Can you explain at a very high level why the reboot of the hub after turning off the OSram lights?

So first 2 steps

• Power off all your OSRAM/GE Links (at the switch or unscrew the bulbs)
  • Wait 15 minutes

So any zigbee devices that were routed through the osram lights realize they are gone and find new route?

• Reboot your hub (through the web interface or just pull power and remove batteries)
  • Power all the OSRAM/GE Links back on

Why the reboot of the hub here? Is it because if the OSRAM lights are not available when the hub restarts it considers them gone for routing purposes?

Thanks for the info

Rebooting the hub clears the routes that it has stored that tell it how to reach each device on the network. Restarting forces it to figure out these routes again rather than waiting for it to detect that some of the routes have changed. Basically it just speeds up the process a bit. Just to be clear, the reboot should be 15 minutes after you powered off the OSRAM bulbs and just prior to powering the OSRAM bulbs back on.

That’s right. Each device can act a little differently, but the SmartThings sensors and many others will detect that their connection to the network (called their parent) has gone within 15 minutes and then they will try to find a new parent which will either be the hub or another router on the network like an outlet.

Out of interest is it possible to tell whether a lightify bulb is connecting directly to my SMH or via other other devices?

The only way you could do this on your own right now is with a zigbee sniffer but I’m looking at ways we could make that information more accessible.

2 Likes

My hub was updated to 000.016.00013 however the Gardenspot is not updating.

The version is shows doesn’t even seem correct.

I’ve un-paired and re-paired but it doesn’t budge. It responds to all ST commands do the device is working. It just won’t update the firmware.

Did you turn on Zigbee OTA updates under hub utilities?

yes… OTA is enabled

I would try rebooting the hub maybe? That is a very old/odd looking FW version. Do you have any other OSRAM products? Are you in the US?

6 bulbs and a light strip updated perfectly for me. I needed to power cycle my hub to get it to show the correct hub firmware, but once it was updated I just manually clicked to check for update for each device and waited. You’ll know the devices updated because they turn on by themselves.

Super happy to have updated firmware - thanks SmartThings team! It resolved a few issues I was having, and it saved me from having to buy an Osram hub.