Once a Day SmartApp

I installed this app a couple of days ago to control an Aeon Smart Energy switch. I currently have it set to turn on at 6am and turn off at midnight. It turned on at 6 and off at midnight, but didn’t turn back on the following day at 6 am. Is it supposed to?

Is there a better app do accomplish this simple repetitive task?

(David) #2

Considering a lot of people are having scheduling issues with many ST events it could possibly be the platform and not the app.

(Bob) #3

Congratulations! You have just experienced the well known and long-standing SmartThings scheduler problem. If you want to verify, in the IDE, goto: My Locations > List SmartApps, and then click/tap on the text link for this Smart Lighting rule. Scroll to the bottom, where you’ll find the “Scheduled Jobs” section. If it’s blank or has a date in the past, then the scheduler has failed, and will stay failed, until you take action. You can either tap Done in the Smart Lighting screenshot or click/tap the Update link in the IDE.

Thank you both.Here is what is shows:

This date/time is in the future. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Fortunately I’m home and not out of the country like the last time Smartthings failed me.

Same thing happened again. It properly shut off at midnight, but didn’t turn back on at 6 am.

(James) #6

You should try using Rule Machine created by @bravenel to do this. It works better and Bruce recently updated the app to work around ST scheduling problems. I use it for all sorts of things including these types of actions and it has worked flawlessly. You can get it here: Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Happy to report that the Once a Day app has worked flawlessly for 3 consecutive days.

Well, I jinxed myself. Switch did not turn on at 6 AM today.

At least I’ve learned that StupidThings can’t be trusted and have an alarm set to make sure I verify if it worked or not.

After running flawlessly for weeks, it failed to turn on again this morning.