Oil Tank monitoring

You can find it in the Rollie HTML source

David LaPorte
david@davidlaporte.org

Can you point me in the right direction regarding the PID?

I think you mean to search the HTML code of the rolliesystems.com/app/singles page but I can’t find it there when I bring up the HTML.

You can view the HTML source on the page after you’ve logged in and search for “pid” to find the value

Dave

David LaPorte
david@davidlaporte.org

I login to the rollie systems web page in chrome, right click > view page source

When I search for “pid” I get 0 found. Think I’m in the wrong place?

If you want to reset your password to a temporary one, I could login and take a look for you.
Dave

5230 - rollie

Should work to take a look. I appreciate it!

Holly,

I’m not able to use that username/password on the page that I use to login:

http://rollieapp.com/gauges/index.php

I suspect you may be using a different login page as they seem to be product-specific. I’ve attached a picture of what mine looks like (the blue thing) – does yours look the same?

Thanks,
Dave

Yup, mine looks just like that. I do have a separate display unit though and have to use that SN to login to the site I was directed to: rolliesystems.com/app/singles

Interesting, my username/password does work on that page. I think I need to reach out to Rollie Systems to see why we’re using different login pages. Until then, I don’t think the device handler is going to work for you.
Dave

Very interesting. I didn’t notice the different URL in the DTH code. The rolliesystems web page is the one that is listed in the instructions I received with my unit.

Well I can at least see the level on my display and some historical info on the webpage which is an improvement.

Holicanmnc or dlaporte,
Did either of you make any progress with your setup? I can get into a setup page but cannot log into:
http://rollieapp.com/gauges/index.php

I can get into: http://rolliesystems.com/app/singles/gauge.php, but this isn’t the graphical gauge that I see referenced to get this setup.

Thanks,
Jonathan

I reached out to the Rollie Systems for some help on this, but haven’t heard back. I’ll try again - the issue is that they seem to have different logins and dashboards for the different products.
Dave

@dlaporte
David,
Just got the gauge and Rollie now has http://www.rollieapps.com/tankfarm/users/index.php to login and http://www.rollieapps.com/tankfarm/users/Controller.php to see the tank level (and probably the history when populated).
What changes do I have to do to DTH to have it functional?
Thank you

Unfortunately, I haven’t heard back from Rollie.

There are likely a bunch of small changes necessary to parse the new login page. I don’t have the spare cycles to work on this, but I would welcome any changes you make that allow it to work on the version of the gauge you have.

Dave

@dlaporte
I’m not going to do anything yet. On my login there is no history available, only instant level/gallons.
However, they do reply to my emails and this is what Rollie said

Blockquote
We plan to transfer your gauge onto a new “Tank Farm” database, because we are updating everybody’s gauges so they can access the history too. Yours was one of the very last sales that used the older database
Blockquote

I’m not sure what they do over there, but they have at least 3 pages to login (only one works for each user).
I would not recommend anybody buying a Rollie gauge. It’s got to be a reason that nobody carries them and you can only order from them.

To be clear, they never promised a SmartThings integration (I built that myself). I believe the reason you need to order direct is that they target oil companies, not individual consumers like us. I wish they’d be more responsive to my latest emails, but overall I’ve been very happy with the device. It saved me from running out of oil this past winter!

I know you built it yourself and appreciate that you made it available for the community.

I also know they promised nothing about SmartThings.

But history available for some and not everyone? What’s the purpose of buying an electronic gauge with no history and no remotely displaying the info?

If I still need to go to where the display is, I might as well as go to the tank and see the level.

This is all I get

By the way, how did you get the graphical representation for your level?

Ah, I didn’t realize your model did not include history…that’s a bummer. I’m using the DTH I wrote to pull the data from the Rollie site and using a SmartApp to push it into InfluxDB/Grafana.

It’s not the model. It’s the fact that it’s tied to a crude database that does not record history.
Sensor communicates data but database does not store historical data. It’s on the backend (Rollie’s storage).
Again, thank you for the DTH and rest of the info.

I made a cheap version of this sensor for the oil tank. Grab a Smartthings Door Sensor for $17 on Amazon.

Take out the magnet from the little door part and break it in half.

Unscrew your float tube on the oil tank and place the little magnet on top of the little disc that indicates your oil level.

Take the float tube and draw a circle around some sturdy cardboard or a scrap piece of plexi-glass or plastic to make it more durable and fancy. Cut out the hole and make sure it fits snuggly over the tube. Mine was close to the vent pipe so I had to trim one side pretty close to the hole. The idea is you are making a little deck for the door sensor. Once you have your little deck made, some trial and error is needed by pushing the float down with the magnet stuck in place. Adjust the door sensor to the required position so that you feel comfortable with the alert and delivery time of oil. I have mine set to alert at 1/4 tank.

Screw the float tube back into the tank and of course leave the magnet in place on the disc.

You could also drill a little hole in the float tube and use a piece of wire coat hanger to push the float down to get an accurate reading with the float tube in place in case it impacts the magnetic field slightly.

I change the door sensor to Oil Alert and have it text me a message with Oil Alert and the company’s phone number. I am using the floating oil price since the heating oil has been going down and selling the house.