Oh you upgraded your hub? Delete EVERYTHING and start over...THANKS FOR BUYING!

I refuse to count all of mine. Reminds me of all the $$$ spent. UGH. LOL

5 Likes

If it counts for anything, once i switched over my hub, now none of my devices are showing up. I’m in no hurry because i loath having to redo all this crap. I’m sure i missed something simple though

What sensor and how do you set it up. Been wanting this myself to check mail.

So just updated my spreadsheet. I have 79 devices not including my iPhone nor the actual ST hub itself, now that I think about it I should add in the ST hub as well since I am also adding cost. Dont do that, dont look at the cost cause man now I kinda have some regrets. 2400 dollars in about a year of ownership… Also including devices I’ve bought but not yet installed. Like 4 more Iris smart plugs on sale today, and then the 4 more iris motion sensors from a previous sale.

I’ve said this time and time again, we aren’t their focus by any stretch of the imagination. But you’d think this forum and its users would be prime grounds for stress testing. Either lots are doing it under NDA, or we are not the goal at all. If the goal is those 12 things per user then obviously we have the wrong system in our homes.

1 Like

I feel like once, we were, then no longer. Might be the difference of when a kickstarter cared about their customers and community, and the big corporation would rather make exploding phones and washing machines.

HA is like addicting though. I went from 0 to a lot of devices in a matter of months. Can’t live without it these days, but missing the old day where I survived without it, and didn’t have the headache of stability issues.

Haha! You’re so right…I love all my automated lights, almost Star Trek like Echo, notifications, and more but every time I have to get up and go fix something, my wife says that “I’m wallowing in my own misery”.

That’s why I started this a while back. It’s somewhat comforting to know that I’m not alone in this behavior.

2 Likes

Haha, Nice Thread. Home Automation is an abusive relationship… It’s so great when it works, and so miserable when it doesn’t. You want to get away with it and find another system, but still… you have to rebuild everything.

1 Like

I curious if you guys know if it is so low because your average customer thinks that is enough or if they give up.

As I’m not under NDA for this particular Topic, I can say that to the best of my knowledge (which, technically, must be zero since nothing possibly could have been “disclosed” to me…), SmartThings does a lot of internal stress testing, but very little external stress testing. Betas appear to be small in scope and duration … though they are still helpful, they are nearly frequent, broad, or deep enough to avoid the production issues that Customers (and Community Developers) encounter repeatedly after many, many, Releases.

In a shameless plug, I can say that ActionTiles will be maintaining an active Beta environment in which all non-trivial updates will be soaked before moving to Production. I’m not going to assume this is going to give us flawless production releases, but I really think it will help a lot. The effort and resources to run a continuous external customer Beta environment is significant overhead and it lengthens the update cycle considerably. But I wouldn’t consider running a high-profile app without one.

I know that SmartThings has explicitly mentioned variations on enhancing their QA process in the past (good-bye CTO Jeff Hagins…), but I’ve seen no indication that an ongoing external beta is in the cards. However… I haven’t seen “the cards”.

Yea I hear ya. I have a friend that has friends at ST, and friends no longer there. So I’ve heard a lot of inside gossip from time to time. And its kinda interesting what happens or doesnt happen.

There’s times when I think all of this is just fluff I could live without. I could probably be happy with just Hue. I dont do anything terribly fancy. I just recently started using motion to trigger lights. So time and geofence is like 90% of what I do and Hue has that covered, and the new motion sensors could bring me up to completion. I got into ST because of how open it was. Being a Linux sysadmin by trade, I like the idea of ‘hacking’ on this myself or by others. Not to mention at the time it gave the broadest coverage of all the tech out there.

I’m just kinda sad that in the solid year I’ve been using it, I’ve not see any forward movement, and yet sometimes sliding backwards. I have a v1 hub because the v2 offered 0 tangible benefits to switch to. Local processing is a joke at best. I dont care about bluetooth never being enabled. No cell backup or other uses of the usb port as told. And beyond that, most people report more instability with the v2 than my v1. The OTA zigbee updates would be nice, but that is delayed, and even then it was for ST devices only…my bug is with the cree/osram stack. Add on to the fact I’d have to start over 100% nope no thank you.

Funny you speak up because I’ve been debating trying out smarttiles only thing I dont know is where id put the dang tablet… lol.

I have friends of friends that are friends of ST too.

Who am I kidding? I have no friends.

Probably a bunch of accounts without Hubs. Or Monitoring kits without anything else.[quote=“KevinH, post:63, topic:63484”]
Local processing is a joke at best. I dont care about bluetooth never being enabled. No cell backup or other uses of the usb port as told. And beyond that, most people report more instability with the v2 than my v1. The OTA zigbee updates would be nice, but that is delayed, and even then it was for ST devices only…my bug is with the cree/osram stack. Add on to the fact I’d have to start over 100% nope no thank you.
[/quote]

The possibilities though! It’s coming in a few weeks.[quote=“tgauchat, post:62, topic:63484”]
(good-bye CTO Jeff Hagins…)
[/quote]

So sad.

Any contact sensor should do the work and then you use the “Notify me” Smartapp. You will have to consider the distance to the mailbox, if there is a Zigbee or Z-wave repeater you have close to it and the material of your mailbox (brick and metal might make it harder for the signal).
One thing to have in mind is you will be changing batteries more often during winter because of the cold.

1 Like

Take it the sensor need to be water tight too

Probably not if it’s inside the mailbox. Does your mail get wet?

1 Like

I put the magnet part on the mailbox door. I figure no big deal if that part gets a little wet. Of course it hardly rains in Southern California either. :wink:

2 Likes

So none of my devices are being found after setting up the new hub. I’ve taken the batteries out and pressed and held the button for 10 seconds on each of them. Exclusion doesn’t seem to be working. Pretty much dead in the water right now

What brand and model of devices?

1 Like

1 multipurpose sensor, 1 open/ close sensor, and 1 motion sensor; all smartthings.

Exclude works for zwave, these are zigbee. Press the button when inserting the battery. You should see the LED glow blue. If you’re set to add a device while doing this, it’ll turn green when added.

1 Like

I believe if you “press and hold” it may sometimes turn “orange / amber” to indicate it is resetting / excluding itself. Then you can release and … repeat the process to get into the “blue” include mode.

I have definitely found that more than one attempt (of both reset and include…) is often required.

2 Likes