Official Lutron Caseta Support in SmartThings (Beginning March 2017)

Bummer, thanks.

1 Like

Can I hook up one of these switches to not control the power? Basically in my spare bedrooms, I have fans with lights in each of them. I don’t want to control the fan part, but I do want to control the light part. Can I hard wire the fan behind the switch so it has constant power, then branch off the hot into a Caseta switch making it a smart switch that doesn’t control physical power? Then I can put smart bulbs in the fan and set up ST to that when this switch is on, it turns the bulbs on and off?

I have a bunch of these casita switches sitting around that I’d like to use and not buy any additional switches. I know I’ve hooked up one of the GE smart switches this way and it works, but I didn’t know if these work the same way or not.

Does “at the moment” imply this may change, or that it is being actively worked on between SmartThings and Lutron? I have begun swapping out switches for Caseta switches in our new house, but unfortunately only realized today that ST will only support a single bridge (i.e., 50 switches). I’d love to know if this is a limitation that may be removed in the near-ish future.

Hi Chris, I will check with Lutron to see if this is on their roadmap!

2 Likes

Any updates on multiple bridges?

I checked and there are currently no plans. Sorry!

Just making sure here… If I create a scene in the Lutron Pro hub, it does not appear that I can control that scene via ST?

Seems as if the official offering does not offer direct scene control. Thanks.

Not 100% sure, but no I don’t think they have a mechanism for transferring your caseta scenes into the ST app.

But if each caseta device is added as a Thing in ST, then you should be able to do whatever you want, same as the caseta scene.

The scenes are not exposed through the official integration.

You can activate a scene through the free Lutron IFTTT service/channel, which will work fine but may add a bit of additional lag. At my house, using IFTTT that’s a pretty consistent eight seconds, but it does vary depending on the service, and it also varies from house to house. So that’s just something you have to experiment with to see if it works for you. But it’s quite simple to do. I think most people would probably create a virtual switch and have that switch coming on be the “If” and activating the scene be the “that.”

So that would certainly be an option if the lag works for you.

Thanks. I am trying to add a “house off” scene to a Pico (I can use Picos to trigger ST by using the unofficial NJSchwartz integration). I have 11 Hues, an ISY994 to control a few old legacy insteon devices, and the Caseta Pro hub with about 25 devices. I’m trying to achieve all devices to turn off simultaneously or as close to that as possible tied to a Pico near the garage door.

Right now, I am using the built in SmartLights SmartApp and basically select every light it has listed in ST. I do have the Hues grouped to an ST “switch” to turn off all Hues, but the insteon stuff is turned off 1 by 1 and so are the Caseta devices. I can deal with the insteon stuff because I’m phasing that out, but the idea occured to me to create a single “house off” scene on the Insteon Pro hub (which works), and then simply trigger that scene in the SmartLights app to turn off all Caseta switches simultaneously. But it does not seem I can do that.

I should add that my solution does work, it just runs its course over 10 or 12 seconds and I was mentally trying to think if there was a more efficient means to obtain the objective.

Hey @AdamHLG I know this is an old post, but I was perusing through the forum and just saw it. The old python version actually had the ability to control scenes you set up on the Lutron hub. It was another one of the things that got taken out when I built the node version. Curious if you ever found a solution as well as if adding scenes back in is something you would be interested in seeing?

I would love to see scene control built into the node version should that ever occur. But no worries if not inasmuch as I cobbled together some other way to do it in the meantime. I’m more concerned about the RSA thing in the other thread and whether that might affect me one day. My system is working flawless and I’m now concerned something will auto update and break it!

I do not think that Lutron will ever alter the telnet portion of the Pro hub because that is what contractors use to build systems so they cannot really change it without breaking things that people had professionally installed. That being said, I will need to essentially re-write a large chunk of what I built to adapt to this change. At the time I wrote it this way because for some people there was a mismatch between the devices ID’s of the telnet and ssh servers. The SSH server always had the correct stuff while the telnet one seemed to get messed up or be missing things. It’s unfortunate and complicates things, but long story short it should all still work once I get a change to update the app.

Does the official (or non-official) Caseta SmartThings integration support multiple lutron hubs? I’m assuming this will require Caseta Pro hubs?

@slc Currently neither the official integration, nor my non official version support multiple hubs. You could use one hub with the official and one with the unofficial version to make use of two however.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had any issues lately with the official Lutron Smartapp integration? For the past 5 days any changes to my Lutron devices (through the device or Lutron Caseta app) are not reflected in Smartthings. If I go into the IDE and under the location-installed Smartapps and update the Lutron smart app, Smartthings reflects what happened to the switch.

I’ve removed all Lutron Caseta devices from Smartthings and uninstalled the Lutron Smartapp and the reinstalled the Smartapp and re-added the devices. Unfortunately it didn’t help. Just wondering if this issue is going around or should I contact support.

Thanks.

Yes, my integration has been really flaky lately. Lag in the status changes has been anything from a few seconds to 20 minutes. I thought it was just related to webcore since it was my pistons that are misbehaving. I decided to dig in a bit to figure out where it was failing and found that ST status isn’t updating when it should.

The last week or so I the SmartThings App shows lights on when they are not. I check in the Lutron app and they are off, I can visually see they are off but SmartThings is reporting them on. This has only been happening the last week.

Anybody else seeing this.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any of these issues (or any issues at all) with my Caseta switches and ST.

Even Lutron does not support multiple bridges under same account with their own app… This suggestion is pretty cool workaround for this limitation.

1 Like