Official Ecobee 3 Integration

Yes, this is it in a nutshell…

When I return to my SmartApps, there is what looks like a ‘play’ button. When I click it, it changes as if it is doing something and then returns with the “play” icon. Is the app working with that “play” icon visible?

@zosobao, the smartapp is scheduled to run every 5 minutes (and applies the zone settings when needed).

Otherwise, you may want to run it upon request by just pressing the “arrow” or play button.

The Schedule within the smartapp will then run if it matches the ecobee program scheduled at that time.

To have more notifications when the smartapp is running, in the last page (“Other Options”), please set “Detailed Notifications” to true and/or use live logging at:

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs

Regards.

@zosobao, just to make sure that all your input parameters are set correctly.

If you want to override the default ecobee fan settings only when there is a big temp differential within your zone, please make sure
to do the following:

(1) Set this parameter to true (in the first page)

section("Enable fan adjustment based on indoor/outdoor temp sensors [optional, default=false]") {
		input (name:"setAdjustmentFanFlag", title: "Enable fan adjustment set in schedules based on sensors?", type:"Boolean",
			description:"optional", metadata: [values: ["true", "false"]],required:false)
	}

(2) And make sure to not enter any value (leave it blank) for this one in the schedule page:

input (name:"moreFanThreshold${indiceSchedule}", type:"decimal", title: "Outdoor temp's threshold for Fan Mode", required: false,
			defaultValue:settings."moreFanThreshold${indiceSchedule}", description: "Optional")			                

(3) And set this parameter to true as well (in the schedule page):

input (name:"fanModeForThresholdOnlyFlag${indiceSchedule}", type:"Boolean",  title: "Override Fan Mode only when Threshold is reached(default=false)", 
			required: false, defaultValue:settings."fanModeForThresholdOnlyFlag${indiceSchedule}")
	}

Regards

@yvesracine
Thank you. I intend to try it out this weekend. I tried it for a moment yesterday. It took my ecobee into a hold mode on its schedule and did turn the fan on. I had to leave and could not wait for it to turn off the fan and see if my ecobee would resume its schedule.

@zosobao, just as FYI,

Please update to the latest version at github as I made some changes…

Regards

Please support the developer :grinning:

@yvesracine

Random comment here.

I bought an Ecobee3 because of your integration work w/Smartthings.

That says it all.

@Drewbert34 and others, I invite you to send an email to mu@ecobee.com and tell ecobee exactly this…

They need to be aware of my work and your feedback!

Thnx for your support.
Regards.

DONE DEAL! I just finished up

First off, thank you so much for taking the time to create the coding for both the Ecobee3 Thermostat and remote sensors. I have a quick question, the remote sensors are still showing “motion” in the app, even though there has been no motion for almost an hour. Is there a way to modify this, so they display a more accurate motion reading (my other motion sensors revert to “no motion” after a couple minutes & I’m hoping that the same can be done with my three remote Ecobee sensors)?

Thanks,
-Matt

@dignifiedb I believe there is a polling limit set by ecobee that could cause this.

Is there a way to change to the polling limit, so the Ecobee3 remote sensors function more like traditional motion sensors?

Hi there,

FYI, if you have any question or issue about My Ecobee Device and related smartapps,
a new ST community wiki has been created for that purpose.

Please consult the following link about My Ecobee Device:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device

And, you can browse the different smartapps available at

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

P.S. There is a troubleshooting section under My ecobee Device and some complex smartapps that can help you solve most of your issues.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your help. I’m getting this error:

10:16:14 PM AEDT: error physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘My Ecobee Device’ in namespace ‘yracine’ not found. @ line 350

can you advise? I get this on the last page when I’m selecting the intervals and press done. the error message is:
Failed to save page:othersettings

Hi @cwbattler, please follow the readme’s instruction steps at my github, as I believe that you didn’t follow all the required steps.

P.S. If you need extra support, then a support fee will be required as I have a full time job and support takes a lot of my time.

I hope that you will understand. That’s why I created the sections about My Ecobee at the ST community wiki (see my prior post).

I’m having to re-log into this app every few hours it seems. Anyone else having the same issues? I’ve updated to the latest version and am still experiencing this.

The best way to deal with those connection issues is to report them to ST, and hopefully, they will address them
when they realize that there are a lot of ST users out there who are experiencing them.

I did report some connection issues myself quite a long time ago (linked to the security certificate amongs others), and here what ST support responded at that time:

Chris Porter (SmartThings)
Jun 30, 6:02 PM

Hi Yves,

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing. My developers have been aware of this happening for a little while now also, and have worked on it. I will let them know your thoughts about it being the security timestamp being outdated.

I don’t have an ETA around implementing a revision to the code, but developers do currently know it is not working consistently for users, and are addressing it.

Thanks for the heads up, and the suggestions.

-Chris P.
SmartThings Support

In the meantime, I’ve observed that these issues come and go. In a specific week, they will be a peak of connection issues, and then few days after, the connection issues will disappear, and they will be no issues for more than a month.

I suspect the ST platform (and sometimes also the ecobee servers) to be the root cause of those connection issues. This could be some connection pool management issues at ST or others.

In brief, as I said in the community wiki and many times in other threads, I don’t have any control on those connection issues in my code.

Examples of other ST connection issues:

Stock Ecobee device

TCP Hub

However, I’ve implemented some defensive coding to notify the ST users of any connection issues. That’s the best I can do on my end.

And, if you read carefully other threads (like the one I posted in my previous post), ST has connection issues with other devices as well (ex. TCP hub).

P.S. What make ecobee more susceptible to losing its connection is the fact the ecobee is the only cloud provider (that I know) that asks to refresh its authorization token every hour. My code has the required algorithm to do it, but if there are connection issues at the same time, you’ll then need to manually reauthorize ST to reestablish the connection with ecobee.

Bye for now.

I’ve just emailed ST support. Have to re-authenticate ST/ecobee3 every few hours as well. Yvesracine, thank you for the amazing apps/integration!

I also contacted Support yesterday as authentication is lost within hours. Very frustrating. I have 2 ecobee 3s.

Hi @sn0wL, @shellprompt,

I made some changes today to MyEcobee device and ecobee3RemoteSensorInit that would hopefully reduce the number of connection & timeout exceptions

You may want to try the new beta versions at my github:

Let me know how it goes.

P.S. You’d need to copy and paste the code for both the device and the smartapp, save & publish.
Regards.

EDIT. I still think that the ultimate resolution of those connection issues is still on the ST side, but this may alleviate some of the issues till then.

EDIT2: The code has since been promoted to the main branch…