[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

Do you have a line number associated with that error? Otherwise pretty difficult to look into.

No line number info in the logs. Will keep looking into the logs for a while to see if I can fetch some meaningful info for you. - thanks.

Can you use this plant sensors with Smartthings? I think this ones just app controlled via bluetooth interface.

No, it doesn’t integrate with ST (as far as I know). It is app controlled via BLE, and it has to be polled to provide info, so it’s extremely passive.

which dev handler are you using for motion sensor? my gear setting does not open anything when i click on it. can not configure how much the motion lasts

Oh, one word of warning: Please make sure your Xiaomi devices are stable on the network before mounting them.

I made the mistake of using the adhesive tape on devices immediately after they were added to ST and seemed to be functioning properly. A motion and a contact sensor that were at the edge of the network stopped responding and had to be ripped from positions to take back to the hub to re-pair.

Are you not using my ones in the opening post??

1 Like

my mistake, i did not know that i can click on the empty space to input time in seconds. thank you

Don’t believe single word what they say, bottom of the barrel customer support if you read reviews

You might be better just buying from aliexpress. 98% of all my purposes have arrived an the 2% have been refunded or have had the item resent. I also believe the items that didn’t make it were sent and just lost in transit.

Also aliexpress is for me at least always cheaper.

Yes, Aliexpress seems pretty good. I had one dispute in the past and they stepped in and refunded in full with no fuss.

Quick question, has anyone with Xiaomi button tried to take the button outside of your zigbee coverage area and then later on coming back to Zigbee coverage area?
Will the button still work after you moving away and coming back, and if it works, will it work right away after you coming back to your zigbee coverage area?

Extremely likely to drop as would most zigbee devices.

I believe ST’s presence sensor is zigbee?
They get out of range, and once within range report status.

Hence I said most zigbee devices. The presence sensor is very different to most sensors and how they behave. They also broadcast a lot more often than a normal sensor would in order to be detected by the hub when you arrive. The button sensor only announces itself roughly once an hour and most other sensors are similarly extremely quiet to conserve battery.

3 Likes

Received my Door/Window sensor from Gearbest yesterday (ordered 2/1; received at my home in the US on 2/21; used the $3 tracked shipping method and no insurance). It shipped via International Bridge, then passed to USPS when it got to the US. Paid $9.50 out the door.

Added @a4refillpad’s device handler before starting, then went into ST app pairing mode, moved about a foot away from my hub and pressed the button on the sensor with a pin about once a second for roughly a minute before it showed up. I did not continue pressing after it showed up. Tested open/close with no problems in ST. The battery status showed up at 87% about 3-4 hours later.

So far, it’s stayed paired for about 12 hours now.

A couple observations so far:

• I noticed that out of the box, the blue LED flashed each time the sensor opened/closed contact. After pairing, I haven’t seen the LED once. Should it be disabled?

• The first battery status was 87%. It’s gone up to 88% and now is at 90%. Not sure if it’s just getting more accurate as time goes on, or if there’s a bug in the DTH? Happy to help @a4refillpad troubleshoot if needed. Edit: Back down to 89% now.

So far, very happy. This sensor is so tiny! I’ll probably pick up a few more soon. Edit: Ordered 3 more today.

I’ve noticed the same behaviour with the led light when pairing. In fact, I find it convenient to use it to help me see if the sensor has paired or not. If it still lights then the sensor does not think it’s paired yet.

Secondly, unlike other sensors, the battery level does not seem to be based over an average over many readings. So it just guesses based on voltage. So you will see more variance. As the battery wears I’ll assume you’ll see greater “yoyo” effects on the readings and you’ll get an idea on when to change the battery. The variance can also be caused by activity, temperature and of course the remaining life of the battery itself.

There are positives and negative to either approach. If you look at the smartthings sensors they often die at 78% or 67%! when they are pretty much drained to nothing.

Also would add that the joining process, especially accompanied by the “frantic clicking” technique must be pretty draining for the tiny battery. So I would not be surprised if initial values are a little lower to start with.

2 Likes

I have just received 3 motion sensors and have started to play.
What i have noticed is that it sees motion for around 2 minutes before reseting to no motion.
Is this correct?

EDIT: I looked through your code and found the setting for motion reset.
I hope you don’t mind but I have set it to a lower value.
Perhaps this could be put into the settings so it is user configurable. :slight_smile:
Anyway. Thanks for your work in coding these devices. Great job @a4refillpad

Why would you want to do that when you can just change the preference for the device?

1 Like

Oh bxllxcks. I missed that completely.
Sorry. Will change it back. :grinning:

1 Like