[OBSOLETE] Tesla Powerwall Manager Smart App and Device Handler

Octopus do have a beta tie up with Tesla in the UK and are offering an 8p p/kWh flat rate if you have Solar, a Powerwall and a Tesla car where they take complete control of your Solar and Powerwall. This wasn’t of interest to me as I a) don’t (yet) have a Tesla car and b) with careful management of just our Powerwall on Agile Octopus we’re currently averaging 4.5p p/kWh. It could be interesting for those who have invested heavily in Tesla cars and have solar as charging a couple of 100kW cars on a single phase power supply would be way beyond the small cheap charging windows available on EV tariffs.

1 Like

Yes I have seen this although you have to find it via Google rather than their website.

Unfortunately it is impossible for me to get a Tesla car and this is not due to cost. Like millions of others I have no access to off-street parking so cannot charge an electric vehicle at home. (I am therefore in favour of hydrogen powered vehicles.)

I am considering getting Tesla Solar roof tiles - when they finally start selling them here. They are now on version 3 of the roof tiles and they are still not available. The Powerwall is ‘only’ on version 2 and is available.

I wonder if Tesla’s ‘Million Mile Battery’ might mean a Powerwall v3 soon?

2 Likes

This SmartApp is great- I use it to bring the PW status/data into smart things and special WebCore pistons to send notifications to remind our household when our powerwall battery is full and we’re exporting excess solar energy to the grid and it’s a good time to run appliances like laundry/stove/dishwasher, etc.

Does anyone know if this will continue to be functional when I’m forced to transition to the new ST app? Thanks in advance for your experiences.

1 Like

I have it installed on the new ST app and connected to Alexa, NP. So can easily write Alex routines triggered by PW power fails to monitor/activate/deactivate any ST or Alexa device. Cant wait to try it when my 3 PowerWalls arrive next month. I also have 2 model 3s Long range dual motor and 3 of the new WIFI wall chargers. So my cars will soon be running on sunshine.

1 Like

Anyone else having trouble with their Powerwall not getting updated data into SmartThings today?

Down-detector is telling me owner-api.teslamotors.com is currently down and I’m getting error messages like this in the ST IDE live logging:

11:06:51 AM: error Powerwall resp error: Failed to complete. Message was: connection timed out: owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120:443 on attempt 2.
11:06:48 AM: error Site resp error: Failed to complete. Message was: connection timed out: owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120:443 on attempt 2.
11:06:46 AM: error Unhandled exception getting token: org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to owner-api.teslamotors.com:443 [owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120] failed: connect timed out
11:06:43 AM: error Unhandled exception getting token: org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to owner-api.teslamotors.com:443 [owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120] failed: connect timed out
11:06:13 AM: warn Site resp error: Failed to complete. Message was: connection timed out: owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120:443. Retrying.
11:06:08 AM: error Unhandled exception getting token: org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to owner-api.teslamotors.com:443 [owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120] failed: connect timed out
11:06:06 AM: warn Powerwall resp error: Failed to complete. Message was: connection timed out: owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120:443. Retrying.
11:06:01 AM: error Unhandled exception getting token: org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to owner-api.teslamotors.com:443 [owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120] failed: connect timed out

As of Sep 10, 2020 (beginning at approximately 7:20am PDT) this app is longer working on the SmartThings platform. I am unsure of the cause of the issue, but connections between the SmartThings servers (both the US and EU shards seem to be affected) and the Tesla server appear to be timing out. The app appears to remain fully operational on the Hubitat platform.

In the past, this has happened a couple of times with unofficial integrations (once with MyQ) when the other company decided it was either a security issue or too much traffic or something similar and they just shut down communications from the smartthings cloud. There usually is not a public announcement about it, particularly if it’s considered a security issue.

Hubitat might be getting by because it’s less traffic and they just haven’t noticed it yet.

My apologies for not fully understanding the capabilities, but I wonder if it’s possible for the device handler/smartApp to query the local gateway and at least provide stats on current solar production/home power usage/battery level etc.? I’m able to pretty easily get a JSON from the gateway without even authenticating using the URL: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/api/meters/aggregates, substituting the IP address of my local PowerWall Gateway.

I had seen that a potential future enhancement included local support on Darwin’s GitHub, though I wouldn’t expect that he could instantly make that improvement now, especially given that this was not a planned outage/shutdown.

I understand that there are a number of paid services that essentially obtain and use someone’s authentication token (TeslaFi) which I would expect would have significantly more traffic to the API than the few people using smartthings with PowerWalls, and I wonder if TeslaFi ends up having to pay tesla something to keep those routes open and off the block list?

I suspect it wouldn’t be possible to query the local gateway with WebCore since that’s running in the cloud and wouldn’t have access to my local network unless ports were opened which would be a significant security risk, and thus not a good option?

Thanks to Darwin! Not sure what was done to get ST communicating again with the api site, but my PowerWall Manager smart app successfully started retrieving data from the Tesla API again early this morning (sometime around 5am PDT).

Sadly, I may have spoken too soon. My smartapp worked for about 24hr and then stopped updating again this morning after 5:10 am PDT. When I check the live logging, the errors appear to be similar:

Site resp error: Failed to complete. Message was: connection timed out: owner-api.teslamotors.com/205.234.31.120:443 on attempt 2.

We’re seeing a similar issue with API requests to Tesla from webCoRE. These requests are working everywhere but on the SmartThings platform. Very frustrating.

Ugh, that’s unfortunate that WebCore requests aren’t working either. I was contemplating setting up that webcore script, mostly so I can get notifications each day when the battery is full and solar is producing extra to remind that it’s a good time to run the dishwasher/laundry, etc…

Ive had smartthings for years, I neglected it for awhile and just tried adding the Tesla integration. Sadly looks like its still down. Hope it works again one day

Hi Ryan,

Give it a try now. My Powerwall manager instance started working again 2-3 days ago.

My webCoRE automations began working as well.

Hi, just came across this and got it all installed on Smartthings but when i go to use it on the new smartthings app, i put in my username and password for my tesla account(assuming that’s what i should be using?) I get “Error Verifying Tesla/Powerwall Account” Is anyone else getting this?

Thanks for your help

Yes, unfortunately this is expected right now until Darwin or someone has a chance to implement the new login procedures for the Tesla api. There’s more discussion and background on the darwinsden site.

One idea I’ve thought about is to use python and an esp8266 or esp32 to have a middleman that can accept a http api call from webcore, and the ESP will basically proxy the query to the powerwall gateway on the local network (ignoring the self-signed certificate) and return the json with battery level and current flows back to webcore.

But haven’t quite found the time yet.

this is exactly what im after, pitty the auth is broken

Any update on this app and DTH? Brand new to SmartThings but experienced with Home Assistant.

Keep getting wrong authentication errors when trying to install.