[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Look at post 8 above, the left side, half way down, there are four pins with a white line around them, those are where you connect your FTDI cable, the two holes next to those are the ones you short while booting the device to get into flash mode.

Fantastic work Eric. Got 10 controllers in today, switching out 6 rf rgb strip controllers and installing some kitchen lighting.
Not sure if anybody realized but you can use 2 strips with one controller, 1 rgb, 1 white and run them side by side, just make sure to provide enough amps. If W2 is enabled could run 2 diff white :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to do this actually. I have wired 3 sets of 3 LED lights each for my deck. These are just white non dimmable LED lights. I want to connect the 3 different sets up to one device and run each set differently. For example, have set 1 come on at dusk and go off at sunrise and set 2 come on at 10pm and go off at 12pm and set 3 come on at 8pm and go off at 10pm. Can I do this and also can I hook this up to one 12v power supply?

Very cool! Is the SmartLife a ZWave device? Or have you created a bridge (for lack of a better term) between ZWave and Wifi. So that your ZWave handler talks to the Wifi for SmartLife to control it?

Please have a look at WiFi 104: http://www.ltech.cn/html/en/products/Wireless-LED-Controller/WiFi-Controller/WiFi-104.html . It seems to be similar to SmartLife, except that WiFi 104 has a complete iOS and Andriod app. You have one base station and then a receiver for each additional zone. The base station talks to the receivers via RF.

Would it be possible to use your ST device handler (or a modified version of it) to talk to the WiFi 104 device? I’m very happy with the results with the WiFi 104 (so far, still experimenting early on) but the lack of ZWave support is the real gotcha.

Thank you!

This is a wifi only device. It talks local to the ST hub via json requests. The app detects the devices via ssdp coming from the hub.

Is it possible to power just white LED strips with this? There is a spot for it on some of the wifi controllers https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Android-Channels-Controller-LD686/product-reviews/B01AA6221S/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=3

1 Like

Yes, like most of these controllers it’s just 3 or 4 feeds coming off it, you can do multiple white strips off one if you want as well, one will just be named red, blue, or green. :slight_smile:

@erocm1231 Hey Eric, I’m having a hard time integrating this with CoRE as the On and Off don’t work exactly as I’d expect. When I have CoRE do a turn on command, it sets the white to 100%, but AFTER I have it set brightness and color. And it seems to throw white levels of 0 and 100 out after a number of different commands are issued to it, saturation, level, hue, etc. Then setting level to 0 doesn’t actually turn it off either.

Is there something I can do in the smartapp or handler to kill the white function so it’s JUST RGB? BTW, this is fine behavior for my cabinet lighting that IS on RGBW strips that I use mostly as white!

Also, I can’t set new programs on one of the controllers, the on switch in the app just goes green and nothing happens. Have you seen that before?

Ah I see can you link to the power supply you used? On the ali description it says .5w?

Whatever was in my parts bin. Just has to be 12v and 1 or more amps. The amp rating will dictate how many strips you can run, there’s a limit, but I don’t know what it is. You can get amplifiers that go inline so you don’t need a huge one at the controller, but I’ve never used them myself. I have three of these up right now on 1amp and 2amp wall warts and they have been fine. All three are running only about 1 strip though.

Let me take a look and see what I can do.

Looks awesome @erocm1231!

I’m patiently waiting for a unit so I can have a look, thanks for your efforts with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how you could control multiple units together? Depending on the ratings of the unit and the project I’m working on I can see a use case for more than just one. I’m therefore starting to wonder how I might control more than one setting the same colour across multiple devices. Thanks.

Oh man. Is there a limit of 1? I just bought 4 of these hah. Also hows the latency?

Oh man. Is there a limit of 1? I just bought 4 of these hah. Also hows the latency?

I can’t answer the latency question. I’ll wait for the US guys to wake up and let you know. Mine hadn’t arrived yet.

The only limit to the number of these units you could use would be based around your network. Each one needs an IP address so the maximum number of devices would more than likely be determined by available IP addresses. Each one would appear as a different device within ST.

My question relates to controlling multiple devices together. For example could I have four units controlling four RGB strips and make them all turn red using a single control or virtual device within ST? Optimistic I think :confused:

Latency will be the same as any other wifi devices you have connected to SmartThings. I do not notice any latency, but it depends on your wifi connection, internet connection, and performance of the SmartThings cloud.

@brumster A SmartApp to keep them in sync already exists I believe. As SmartThings will have to change the color of each device one at a time, there may be a small but possibly noticeable difference in the devices getting in sync. A firmware based option to keep them in sync is not something that I have looked into, but might be possible. It would be down the list on priorities for me to add though.

@brumster A SmartApp to keep them in sync already exists I believe. As SmartThings will have to change the color of each device one at a time, there may be a small but possibly noticeable difference in the devices getting in sync. A firmware based option to keep them in sync is not something that I have looked into, but might be possible. It would be down the list on priorities for me to add though.

Thanks @erocm1231. No worries with any possible latency getting them in sync, it does;t concern me. I’m looking at a project that may require 3-5 of these for some architectural floodlighting so I can handle the delay given the potential expense of having to buy other brands :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about the f/w option. Nice thought though. Your efforts are always appreciated (and I’always curious as to what you will come up with next :grinning:

Thanks for the pointer on the sync SmartApp. A quick search points me at Trend Setter, is that what you were thinking?

I haven’t tried that one but it looks great. There is also one called “Color Coordinator” that looks like it is a published app in the SmartThings marketplace. Under the “Lights & Switches” category.

1 Like

I use trendsetter for a bunch of grouped bulbs, and it works great. occasionally they will be half on/half off, but that’s almost always a zigbee device dropping off the mesh, and not a fault of the program. I haven’t used it with my H801’s, but I bet it would work, might try that tonight…

1 Like

I found that setting colors via HEX works almost perfectly, doesn’t force white to 100%. I’ve setup three automatons with this and they seem to work great. Unfortunately I can’t use CoRE’s Random color option with HEX. :slight_smile:

I know, I just need to upgrade all my strips to RGBW, but I have to wonder, haven’t tested on my RGBW strips, will the white 100% command override the colors? I’d assume it would…I have to test that sometime this week.

Yeah, it currently does override the colors when you adjust the white channel. That is a personal preference, but I see how others may want it different. For me, I either want the LEDs to be color or I want them to be white, but not both. I have several changes I am going to post soon. After that I will start working on the next batch of changes. One of which is controlling all channels with independent endpoints. When I do this, I’ll put an option in to allow all channels to be active at the same time.

3 Likes