[OBSOLETE] Jasco/GE Z-Wave Plus On/Off Switch (14291) With Double-Tap and Associations

ChitownM2, have you been able to figure out why the pushbuttons in the app do not work for the associations?

Wondering if anyone ever figured out an answer to why the app buttons won’t work for the toggle version of this switch?

I installed this on a several GE switches and it has been great. I am trying to get the group 2 function to work with a smartthings outlet. When I log into IDE and click devices I have nothing listed but when I click Locations, Home, Devices they are all listed. Is this why I can’t get it to turn off or on the associated lights?

Nope. First how do you login to the IDE? The ‘can’t see device’ is indicative of logging in to the wrong shard.

Second - more importantly, how are you trying to setup the group 2 association?

Oddly enough, I have some Add-On switches that work with double tap and others that don’t. I really have no clue the rhyme or reason. I do know that the ones that DON’T work with the double click function are SO quick to respond to the button press. They actually turn on the light FASTER than the primary switch itself. Any ideas? Could it be a different model? Could it be I somehow wired them differently? I’ve got both Dimmers and Non-Dimmer Z-Wave Plus Switches.

So i’m not super techy. I don’t have any coding background. However, I’ve got my switch to work and finally figured out how to get the double tap option to work. That being said, is there a way to get the light to turn off when i double tap down that is set as the master? When i double tap down or up, only the switch that I put in group 3 turns on/off. The light that is activated with the single tap doesn’t respond to the double. I’m sure it is any easy fix. Just not sure how to accomplish it.

Possibly add your switch’s own ID to the group? Or make an automation that when the other lights the switch ccontrolson double tap all come on, to turn on that switch as well? The second option would have a noticeable delay though.

I tried adding the switches ID to the group. It doesn’t do anything. I made an automation through the app, but the app shows conditions as “Pressed, Double Pressed, Held, On, Off.” The “Pressed” option then corresponds to Button1 AND Button2, so if I turn on the master light, then turn on the the group 3 light with a double tap up, it then will turn off the master light because the “Pressed” option goes to Button1 AND Button2. I’ve gone as far as i can go with troubleshooting.

My thought would be something in the code that would allow master switch to be allocated to group 3 or have the option to have group 3 include “off” and group 2 to include “on”, but again, i’m not coding smart and i’m not sure where to begin.

I just wanted to say thank you! This Device handler was just the solution I needed! I recently installed LED under cabinet lights and had an issue with my smart lighting rule having an 8 second delay when cycled from an add on switch. Installing this device handler allowed me to associate the main kitchen light and the cabinet lights. They now turn on simultaneously from every source! And as a bonus I now can turn on the overhead sink light with a double tap! Thanks again to every contributor!

1 Like

Are there specific switches that will not register a double tap? I have a Jasco 45709 switch that I just installed and assigned the linked-to device handler to. The only thing that I can get to show up in the log is “on” and “off”. Double-tap only shows up if I use the Smartthings app to initiate it.

Is there a way to get the double tap on or off to also turn this switch on or off as well as the other devices in group 3? Thank you in advance for your help!

you can probably use webcore to do that

Yeah, I was hoping to have it work as quick as the group 3 pairing did. I do have webcore working for now, but I still have a lot to learn. Thanks!

I currently have a single dumb toggle switch controlling a dumb overhead ceiling fan and light combo. So the switch is hard wired to the overhead light/fan.

In a preferred option:
I want to replace the dumb switch with a smart toggle (not rocker) switch that: (1) on a single on/up toggle, keeps the dumb overhead light/fan off and turns one hue bulb on; (2) on double on/up toggle, keeps the dumb overhead light/fan off and turns on two hue bulbs; (3) on triple on/up toggle, turns the overhead light/fan on and both hue bulbs on

In an acceptable option:
I want to replace the dumb switch with a smart toggle (not rocket) switch that: (1) on a single on/up toggle, keeps the dumb overhead light/fan off and turns both hue bulbs on; (2) on double on/up toggle, turns the overhead light/fan on and both hue bulbs on.

In a last resort option:
Keep the dumb switch and add a smart switch in a double gang box that will turn on one hue bulb with a single tap and turn on both bulbs with a double tap. Dumb switch will keep controlling the dumb light/fan only. In this option, then, the new switch will not be connected to any load. I’ve read that I need an auxiliary /add-on switch for that. But I can’t find any toggle style auxiliary switches that support double tap??

Can I use this device handler and a supported smart switch to do any of these options?

Since the fan and lights share the same switch (as too mine) I swapped the bulbs with Hue. Kept the toggle on by placing Hue Dimmer on top of existing switch by using a screw-less face plate (Eaton brand). I stuck a second Hue Dimmer and covered the 2nd wall switch across the room since its configured in a three-way.
Now this works if you have a chain to then control the fan blades. If its too high on ceiling for pull chain or is blocked by a table or bed (as too mine) buy a universal remote control, a fan with an included remote, or one of those black round smart fan device. Just remember the on/off buttons for the light should never be used to control the fan lights since they will now have smart bulbs.

You will not be able to use a lot of Smart Light Switch unless its designed for Fans because of the load requirement.

If its a multiple gang box consider replacing a different light switch to a different light. Use the double-tap to control your selected scenes for the fan lights and some other lights. If the second/third light switch in the gang box is a three-way I recommend the Zooz ZEN27 wall switch, because you will not be required to also buy and install an “addon” switch–the other end can stay as a dumb switch. However, if you want to control the other end with taps, then you’ll need a smart switch on both sides, which then you can go with GE/Jasco, Zooz, or even the ones that offer 11 tap functions with small LEDs to represent multiple states of other devices.

Let me know if this helps or to continue speaking your thoughts based on my comment.

@nuttytree

Can you add another fingerprint to your code? I’d prefer to update via github but I have manually added the following line for my On/Off Switches:

fingerprint mfr:“0063”, prod:“4952”, model: “3036”, ver: “5.22”, deviceJoinName: “GE Z-Wave Plus Wall Switch”

Thanks!

@nuttytree
Looks like the handler developed some kind of problem using WebCORE
+304ms ║Error while executing physical command Kitchen SkyLight.off(): org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - no Session

Any chance you can please look in to it?
Thanks

Hi there. Trying to establish an association with my 14291 Switch and a GE/Jasco plug (28168). I added the plug ID and switch ID to the association group and it works but with a 10+ second delay. From what I understand, it should be simultaneous. Thoughts? I did a network repair with no luck.

Are there instructions on how to set this up somewhere? I’m having trouble getting it going. I’ve put some Device Network IDs in the associations 2 and 3, but nothing is happening. Do the Devices in the associations have to actually be switches too? I’m trying to turn on and off Phillips Hue bulbs when the switch is toggled. Some of the IDs have a slash (/) in them, but don’t know if that should make a difference.

The device association is just for zwave to zwave device communication. You would need to use the ID of another zwave device.