[OBSOLETE] j64Harmony - Amazon Echo + Harmony Hub Integration

Thanks for that link @JDRoberts. I frequently have to experiment with different names to get alexa to recognize names that i create. I find that I sometimes have to get especially creative with channel names so i will use names like “one oh oh five” instead of 1005 or “cable tv” instead just “tv”.

1 Like

That means that something went wrong with the install of asp.net core, not sure how to fix that one. However, send me a PM if you would like to talk over the phone and maybe we could share your desktop and figure it out.

Changed to bridged mode in VM and made sure IP address match. All is working !! Thanks

That is awesome!

I am stuck on getting the iOS SmartThings app to execute the commands. I followed the instructions, the app was pushed to SmartThings. I see the devices in ST, I see them in the iOS app. I can execute the command in the j64 web tool to test. All of that works. But in SmartThings, nothing happens. I have tried all kinds of combos and nothing happens. in j64 web app I have authorized my ST Hub successfully. I know the Harmony part is working correctly because the tests work in the J64 web page. But the ST is a no go. Any ideas? Thanks for what seems to be a promising application!

Thanks for creating such a useful app Joe.

I had everything up and running great until I started messing around with the favorite channels. The first time I changed the favorites and synced everything worked fine. Now it seems like your application is working properly, but SmartThings is not updating with the new channels. Any ideas?

Also, what edits would I need to make to the volume switch to change the increase/decrease increment from 2 button presses to 4?

sorry, i have no checked my mail in a few days. you should also look at the log in smart things to see if it has any messages. if a device is used by another smart app it may not be able to change it and þe log may have more info. https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs

for the 2 vs 4 button presses, there are a couple lines of code in j64.harmony.xmpp/hub.cs module where you can send the extra volume commands. it is the SetVolume method, just copy the line that sends the press command.

Joe, in my logs I see the command issued (e.g., turn off sound) but nothing happens. SmartThings seems to see the button push from the ST App, but that command is not sent to Harmony (guess there). When I use the j64 web app though the same command works within the web. Is there something else I am supposed to set up from ST to Harmony? I put in the credentials for ST and Harmony in the app. Still missing something

I got this message after running the j64start command. I have an older Win7 pro machine (32 bit).

"Running dnu restore for Xmpp"
This version of C:\Users\Rey\.dnx\runtimes\dnx-coreclr-win-x64.1.0.0-rc1-update2
\bin\dnx.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check
 your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x6
4 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

I’m not code savvy enough to figure this out.

Would you be able to adjust the code that I can copy and past into this doc?

I do have the doc and I did find the code, but I’m just not sure how to adjust the code.

Thanks!

This is the code I have.

public void SetVolume(int level, int previousLevel, string volumeDevice)
    {
        string cmd;
        if (level == 0)
            cmd = "volumedown";
        else if (level == 100)
            cmd = "volumeup";
        else if (level > previousLevel)
            cmd = "volumeup";
        else if (level < previousLevel)
            cmd = "volumedown";
        else if (level < 50)
            cmd = "volumedown";
        else
            cmd = "volumeup";

SendCommand(volumeDevice, cmd, "press");
        System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(100);
    }
}

After a little bit of Googling, I found that for 32bit machines, the command should be

upgrade -r clr

I have a new issue though, after I start j64start command, I’m stuck "Running dnu restore for Xmpp" with a blinking cursor.

Use the below:

public void SetVolume(int level, int previousLevel, string volumeDevice)
    {
        string cmd;
        if (level == 0)
            cmd = "volumedown";
        else if (level == 100)
            cmd = "volumeup";
        else if (level > previousLevel)
            cmd = "volumeup";
        else if (level < previousLevel)
            cmd = "volumedown";
        else if (level < 50)
            cmd = "volumedown";
        else
            cmd = "volumeup";

}
}

If you wanted to increase it to 6, you would add two more send commands with the sleep in between them.

Thanks Joe! All of a sudden SmartThings synced. We all know it’s like that sometimes…

Got the volume increment changed. Thanks for letting me know where to find the code.

Hi Joe I am if my question is getting lost in the thread or what, but I cannot seem to get this work. I can get the web app j64 to work and fire commands, but when I am in SmartThings, nothing happens…any help will be appreciated.

Is everyone on a 64bit system? I think that may be my problem :slight_smile:

Sorry everyone, i have been out of town so am just starting to catch up. Let me know if i miss anyones question:

Great job. The changes you made are exactly what i was thinking. I will add to my list to make that configurable in future versions.

I have not tried running this on a 32 bit system however, it seems like it “should” work. The error message you showed above looks like the version of asp.net that was installed was not the 32 bit version of the dnx program. I would give it a try for you but I don’t have that version of windows to test on.

Marc, it sounds like the smart app was not able to determine the IP address of the machine running the j64Harmony web app. To diagnose this you should try a couple of things. First, go to the configure->Hubs & Gateways menu option. At the bottom of that page you should see the IP address of the machine where you are running the j64 app. If it could not determine the IP address automatically you can change it here and click the “Save All” button to save that info. After you update this, you can send that information to the smart things hub buy going to the configure->device names menu option and clicking the “resync with smartthings” button.

The other thing you can do is to go into the smart things IDE and navigate to the My Locations menu option. At the bottom of that page is the “List SmartApps” option. Click on the “j64 Harmony” smart app and it will show you the settings that it is using. You should see the IP address of the machine you are running the j64 app from. If not, adjust the IP address like I described above.

Also, if you happen to be running the j64 web app from within a virtual machine you will need to make sure that you have the network settings configured properly for that virtual machine. Otherwise it will get an IP address that is local to that machine and cannot be reached from the smart things hub. I set mine to bridged when i am running in that mode.

I installed on Win 64. Login page loads after I input harmony login info and click submit it comes 404 error both on IE & chrome.

A 404 means it could not find the page. I am not sure what page it was trying to hit though. If you think it is related to the j64 web app check to see what messages are displayed in the console app where you started the site. It may give a clue as to the issue.

My ide is located here:

https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/ide/apps

Not sure how to point the install routine to the different IDE?

Joe…perfect…everything is working now. For some reason my IP listed was my external IP not my hub IP…changed that and viola. Fixed. Working great!