[OBSOLETE] Enhanced Z-Wave Garage Door Controller GD00Z-4/GD00Z-5/Linear/GoControl/Iris/Nortek Device Handler with Switch and Automated Garage Door Open/Close when People Arrive/Leave/Timer [OBSOLETE]

@RBoy - I am considering getting this opener and using your DH / SmartApp. This device just works like a button on the wall except Z-wave activates it, so it should work with any opener, right? Right now I use MyQ with ST and and am getting tired of it only working 50% of the time.

As you mentioned this device is a z wave controlled button. Ensure that
your garage door system is compatible with just a button system. The MyQ
series do Not use just a button. They have sophisticated circuitry in their
buttons using serial encoded information. So just a button will not work
with all garage door systems.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. So simulating a button should be as easy as just connecting the two leads with a wire. Also, I think it will work, but I will verify. I have the kind where I had to get the special button to make it work with MyQ, but Iā€™ll verify.

Didnā€™t work for me and my MyQ - Opener Model 3280-267M Wall Unit Model 888LM - hope that helps.

I just tested it out it worked fine, I must have an older model. I forgot to take a pic while I was up there. Iā€™ll try to post the modelā€¦

1 Like

OK, the device arrived today and I installed it. It worked fine installed on itā€™s own. However when I installed it with the MyQ wall button it wouldnā€™t work. I uninstaller the MyQ wall button and ithe was OK again. I just need to replace the myq wall button with a dumb button.

One thing I noticed, it takes an awful long time for the DH (RBoy DH) to update the door status when the door is opened/closed with something other than ST.

That would tend to indicate that the Linear controller may have
communication issues with the hub. i.e. when the door is opened/closed the
controller is supposed to send the status to the hub (vs the hub polling
the device which happens every 10-15 minutes or so). Try to repair the
Z-Wave network and see if it helps.

Garage Door Open and Close Automatically when People Arrive/Leave - Version 1.3.0

• Added support to turn on lights when someone arrives with option of doing it when itā€™s dark outside
  • Added support for sending SMS to multiple numbers by separating them with a +
  • Added support for contact address book (future ready when ST enable the features)
  • Added version information on the top of the SmartApp

Hey RBoy, am I correct in understanding that the battery doesnā€™t show as a %? Just ā€œā€“ā€ until itā€™s low and then flips to ā€œreplace meā€ or something similar? I might have missed this since I scrolled quickly through the 2/3 of the thread of others rudely posting their own code and confusing things.

1 Like

That was an early design. With the current version of the DH it reports the battery as a % on the Battery tile (for SmartTiles compatibility) and Ok in the main summary tile. When the battery falls low it will show 1% in the battery tile a separate tile promoting you to click to reset the sensor after you change the battery (due to a limitation of the controller).
If you arenā€™t seeing a % then hit refresh a few times.

No luck. Iā€™ll power cycle the unit next time i have a ladder out in the garage.

GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 2.4.1

• Show a ā€œReset Batteryā€ button on a new installation to initialize the battery

GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 2.4.1

• < no change >

Garage Door Open and Close Automatically when People Arrive/Leave - Version 1.3.1

• Workaround for ST bug with contact address book for notifications

Interim patch on request from ST, due to ongoing issues with the platform and Linear devices (Garage Door Constantly Opening).

###GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 2.4.2

• Do not process ā€œOpeningā€ events due to possible issue with Linear devices or ST platform. Switch/Contact status will be marked as ā€œOpenā€ only after the garage door is fully open

###Garage Door Open and Close Automatically when People Arrive/Leave - Version 1.3.1

• < no change >

On request from users:

###GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 2.4.2

• < no change >

###Garage Door Open and Close Automatically when People Arrive/Leave - Version 1.4.0

• Added ability to set operating schedules for actions when people arrive and depart. You can define a separate operating schedule arrivals and departures.

On request from users:

###GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4/others Device Handler - Version 2.5.0

• Added ability to report device handler version to check for updates

###Garage Door Open and Close Automatically when People Arrive/Leave - Version 1.5.0

• Added ability to automatically check for SmartApp and Device Handler updates and notify user

After updating the code, open the Device Handler page, click on Refresh and then open the SmartApp and click Done for the changes to take effect

Does the tilt sensor for the GD00z get wacky when the battery is getting low? Mine has been pretty stable except for the past couple days it will flip flop closed-open-closed within one minute without the door moving. I think I remember reading in this thread the battery for the DTH only goes from 100 to dead with nothing in between or something like that.

Thatā€™s correct. It doesnā€™t report intermediary values and battery low could cause issues. In my experience sometime voltage fluctuations on the controller causes issues like what youā€™re mentioning. Putting it into a UPS solves the issues but thatā€™s not an option for everyone.

Interesting. Iā€™ll start with the batteries in the tilt sensor and if it still acts up go for some kind of UPS.

1 Like

RBoy, quick question. Is there any way to put a delay on opening the garage door? The way that my neighborhood is situated, there are often times that the garage door will open a good 30 seconds to a minute before I get to the garage. Iā€™ve tried making the geofence as small as possible, but if Iā€™m going by the front of my house, it will still be a good minute before I get around to the back. I know the odds of someone taking something in that short of a time isnā€™t very high, but Iā€™d feel better if it wasnā€™t open at all while Iā€™m still driving to the back. Thanks.

1 Like