I love the Google Sheets reporting of home data, and now have 9 Aeon Multisensor 6s, plus various other devices. It’s about 20 devices and over 70 individual sensors in aggregate. I am into environmental data logging, not house control.
But now I have an embarrassment of riches problem. It’s hard to know when a device or sensor has quit. Sometimes it’s days before I notice someone’s batteries died, or whatever. I would like a notification when something has stopped reporting. I don’t know if something like this exists.
Ideally here’s what it might do:
- I don’t want to have to add and remove individual devices from the device (app) side, if at all possible. (Moving through all those add/create/modify script screens in the klunky Smartthings app.) I just want to add or remove devices at the hub level. Radio checkmarks in the web interface, or something. Far better yet, default to monitoring every device (not only when script first runs, but also for newly added devices). Then what needs to be done actively is removing some device(s) from monitoring, or changing the alarm time for some devices away from the default time (see next).
- I have a lot of different kinds of devices, some with short reporting periods, some very long. The script should be able to be told what is a reasonable length of time for each, before sounding an alarm. Better yet, make your own categories, then assign devices to these categories. (This would let you change settings for all of a given type of device easily. Or have “Long period devices” and “Short period”, etc.)
- It should be reporting at the device level, not the sensor level. With something like the Aeon Multisensor 6, it’s almost always something catastrophic (batteries dead), not an individual sensor. Also, for multisensors, some often report much more often than others, or might even be set to a fixed 5 minute report period, or whatever. So the script should monitor the device as a whole. It can monitoring individual sensors in devices also if it wants, for extra points. But that shouldn’t be the only thing it can do.
- It should send tailored notification(s) for failures. (“AMS6 in attic has not reported in 30 minutes.”) You should be able to choose what the message is, whether sms or email, notification with verbal alert, hopefully optional phone TTS of the notification text, etc.
- I would really like to know if the hub is down, too. (In which case, also be smart enough not to alarm for every device on the hub.) I would love to log the hub being up or down somehow. It’s a great proxy for so many other things whose performance you want to be aware of over time (how often your internet and power and hub are up or down in a given year, etc.).
- It would be great to have a Google Sheets log of all the above.
- I would think that this script should sit at the Smartthings server level. Not dependent on my hub or my phone.
Okay, well, I’ve said a ton. Maybe it’s all pie in the sky. Does anyone know of something with functionality like this? Thanks so much if you can help!