[NOTE] Thread Tags Can Only Be Created by Users with Regular or Higher Trust Level

sharptools

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #1

The title says it all.

I was wondering why I wasn’t able to find and use a tag for SharpTools when creating this thread by typing SharpTools in the tag choosing box. As it turned out, there was already a SharpTools tag, but it was named sharptools (i.e. all lowercase), and when I searched the tag box for something other than all lowercase, the lowercase version didn’t come up. So, I created this thread to find out why I was - once again - seemingly finding myself going down yet another rabbit hole (i.e. why was somebody else able to come here and add the tag the way I wanted it, but I wasn’t?).

The answer is in the title.

More info is here…

My original questions are here at the bottom of this post (but the resolution is in post #10)…

Why is Tasker (which can not directly connect with SmartThings) available as a ‘tag’ on threads, but SharpTools (which DOES directly connect with SmartThings) is not?

Any chance we could get it added, or is that a big deal?

Also, why can’t we just tag threads we create with whatever we want?

(Brian Diehl) #2

I just tagged your post with sharptools.
It was in there…
Only one other post had been tagged with it.

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #3

Crazy.

When I was creating this thread, I entered SharpTools, and it didn’t come up…just like a lot of other things I’ve tried to tag threads with.

(Brian Diehl) #4

You can tag with anything… I just tagged this topic with taco bell.
The list is just existing tags. It shows up with x2 or x3 where the number shows how many times the tag has been used elsewhere.

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #5

Not me.
How the heck are you doing this?

I went back to edit the OP, saw your sharptools, and deleted it, and tried to put it on the correct way as SharpTools, and it did not come up with a tag that I could save.

How the heck is this?

EDIT: I just tried it again, but when I type in SharpTools, it just said, “no matches found”, and I was not able to save it. The only ones that it allows me to use are ones that it already has in the list. What’s up with that?

(Brian Diehl) #6

Tags are all lowercase I believe.

I am just clicking on the edit pencil for the thread title and typing in there. Then hitting enter. It will add it to the list.
Now you’re tagged there.

EDIT: I guess tags can be capitalized… It just let me capitalize the SharpTools tag.

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #7

NO WAY! lol

It won’t let me do that. :confused:

(Brian Diehl) #8

Are you editing your original post or the title up top?
I am doing the title (I can’t edit someone else’s post, obviously).

Try going into someone else’s post and add tags by clicking on the edit option for the title.

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #9

I’ve tried both (title and OP).
Once you said lowercase, I tried that, and IF the thing I typed was available in the ‘list’, it allowed me to use it, but if not, it wouldn’t allow me to use it.

As for other people’s threads, if I can’t tag my own, how would that work?

(Brian Diehl) #10

It’s because I have the badge for being a Regular.

It grants those options/

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #11

There it is.
Wow…it’s nice to know it’s something intended and logical. lol
Thanks. :slight_smile:

The software that smartthings uses for its community forum is from discourse.

One of the ways that it controls spam is by automatically granting members a “trust level” status based on How often you post, how long you’ve been a member, and a bunch of other things.

As you move up to the trust levels you are automatically granted more privileges for doing Meta type stuff: renaming threads, moving things around, adding new tags, etc.

This is all explained somewhere in the discourse documentation, but it just happens automatically. :sunglasses:

(ocpd+adhd+alz+md+hfa+fms+lol=me :)) #13

Yep. I took a look at the list of trust levels and such after @diehllane posted the link above.
Thanks, man. :slight_smile:

Oh…here’s the link…

(Brian) #14

Thanks Guys

i followed this up when I realised a thread I was posting in got moved to the Smartlounge and being a member and not a regular user I was locked out.

So I have a couple of questions someone here might know the answer to.

Is this forum using the standard discourse criteria for trust levels
This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days…

This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days...

must have visited at least 50% of days
must have replied to at least 10 different topics
of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25%
of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25%
must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
must not have been suspended

With the 25% x100 days criteria how many threads are now being opened in 100 days and how many posts are being made currently?

My rough estimates are 3000 threads and 20000 posts - in which case to achieve Regular user now you would need to read 5000 posts and review 750 threads

Finally is there anyway to ascertain progress towards Regular member status? I know I’m close but I don’t know whether I’m fighting a losing battle as the community grows rapidly.