[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Hi,

If you have My Ecobee device installed and running, all you need to do to get the comfort & energy savings tips is documented here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#MyEcobee_.26_MyNext_Devices.27_comfort_.26_energy_saving_tips

as indicated at the top of my thread:

Regards.

1 Like

Thanks for the repliesā€¦ any idea why I am seeing this in my smartthings log everytime a command is invoked?

postEventToEndpoint: Error while trying to post event back to Amazon groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Unauthorized

Can you post a screenshot? My bet is that is NOT coming from Ask Alexa. Sounds like the native integration. Can you verify that? Filter the results by the names at the top of the Live Logging screen similar to what I posted above.

Capture

Sorry, I forgot to filter. Looks like youā€™re right.

How can I fix this?

Not sureā€¦I just checked mine and I am not getting that. Is your native integration working? If not, I would de-register SmartThings and re-register.

Please note there was a big outage today at Amazonā€¦there may still be some fall out from that. If it continues until Monday I would break the link between SmartThings and Amazon, then redo the link (register ST with Amazon).

Yes, native integration is working just fine. Scratching my head on this one!

I had to disconnect Native Alexa and add it back in, that error has gone away. Thanks for helping me figure that out! Now Iā€™m working on setting up all my reports and will re-update my lambda and developer code. I did all that before I fully set everything last night.

1 Like

@MichaelS Iā€™m hoping you can help me out. Iā€™m trying to start over with Ask Alexa and want to try using the community installer this time. Iā€™d deleted all the child apps and main smartapp but the message queue wonā€™t even allow me to get into it for deleting - not in the IDE or SmartThings app. I just realized for some reason every tine I try opening the message queue itā€™s adding another entry in the automations tab. Any suggestion how I can fix this? I want to have the old version completely gone before installing the new version.

Wowā€¦I have never seen thatā€¦Those should not even show up in your SmartApps area.

Anyway, if you are looking to get rid of them all (and canā€™t use the main Ask Alexa program to do it), is go into the IDE, go to My Locations, then SmartApps. From there, click the ā€˜Editā€™ button at the top right and you can then uninstall any app youā€™d like.

Let me know if that works and if you need assistance getting Ask Alexa up and running again.

I got AskAlexa successfully (I think) installed. But, she will give me the status of switches, but she will not give me the status of open/close sensors, for example. If I say ā€œAlexa, ask home about garage doorā€ sheā€™ll say ā€œThere are no doors setup within your AskAlexa app.ā€ or if I say ā€œAlexa, ask home about Jacobā€™s room.ā€ sheā€™ll say ā€œI didnā€™t understand what you wanted information about.ā€ But if I ask her to give me a list of all open and close sensors, sheā€™ll list of these things ā€” yet they do not appear in the ā€œDevice Type Listā€ in Amazon Developer. What gives?

There could be a couple thingsā€¦first, where is ā€˜garage doorā€™ in your list of items? It SHOULD be in the open/closed sensors. Correct? If so, it should be in the LIST_OF_DEVICES that you put in your developers slots. If you donā€™t see it there, that is the first thing I would troubleshoot. I just checked it in mine and they do show up.

Let me know if they show up in your LIST_OF_DEVICES.

There are other things that it can be, but letā€™s eliminate them one at a time.

So, it is not in ge list of devices on the amazon developer site. But, if I
ask the app for a list of open/closed sensors, she names garage door. Would
I still need to add it manually to the list of devices? I cut and pasted
the code through the IDE link and so I thought that was all automatedā€¦
plus the fact she can list them to me tells me she sees themā€¦ but maybe
Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™m a noob.

What you hear Alexa say is completely normal. The developerā€™s site is the ā€˜vocabularyā€™ for understanding youā€¦It has nothing to do with what it says to you. There is probably a better explanation, but without putting the items in the developers slots, she simply wonā€™t understand you. Having the device in the app, however, allows here to tell you what she knowsā€¦

Now, letā€™s troubleshoot WHY the litem doesnā€™t show up in your LIST_OF_DEVICES. Again, screenshots will help immensely here.

Letā€™s use my example of Garage Inner Door:

Here it is in the list of device (ignore the look of this pageā€¦it is changing for you in the next version as well)

And if you load up the JSON you should also have it in there:

There is NO automation yet for doing the slots, so you DO need to do them manually or through the JSON code. So in your developerā€™s slots you should see this:

Please share your screenshots and we can figure out where things are failing.

OK, Iā€™ll get you screenshots but Iā€™m trying to troubleshoot and spend the
Sunday with my kids ā€“ but first a simple question, where in the
instructions I followed (
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa) is the
instructions for this step? Clearly, I missed it.

No worriesā€¦when we get the automated installation all worked out I will radically change the LONG documentation. However, it is here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Developer_Account

Interesting problem. I no longer can get the LIST_OF_WCP in the Alexa Skills Kit (ASK) to sync with Ask_Alexa. The ASK shows a value of ā€œnoneā€, while Ask_Alexa shows a value of ā€œmuteā€. I can update other values in the interactive model and Ask_Alexa instantly reflects the changes, but not with LIST_OF_WCP.

Are you updating using the JSON code or the individual slots? Also, I am not clear from your noteā€¦is Ask Alexa SHOWING the proper WCP (as of version 2.3.8 you can define those in the app)?

There are two steps if you update the developer sectionsā€¦the update of teh actual list, then building (Saving) the 'skill). Did you do both of those? Can you send some screenshots for reference? I just updated my developer section, but know there were some problems at Amazon this weekend. I am just unclear WHERE you are seeing the issue.

I am updating from the slots. After I update the slot I save it and it moves to the next page for testing.

This is from Amazon Skills Kit

This is from Ask Alexa

Okā€¦and if you click ā€œEditā€ next to the list of WCP are you able to edit the list? Here are the four steps that seemed to work for me just now: