Night Light with overide?

I have a set of dimmer lights which Iā€™d like to turn on at a certain dim level on motion between sunset and sunrise, and turn off after a certain period of no motion. The tricky part is that Iā€™d also like to have it to be at max brightness and wonā€™t turn off by itself when a (virtual) switch is turned on (which could be turned on before or after the night light is being triggered).

I searched and saw a few similar topics being discussed and I tried to follow. I have installed over 5 different smartapps and have been playing with different modes and stuff but still couldnā€™t figure out how to do what I want.

I think I am too dense to figure it out myself. If anyone can give me some hand holding as to how to achieve this Iā€™d appreciate it.

Iā€™m using core, see if this give you some idea how to use virtual switch control the off

1 Like

There are several ways to do this, but at this point (October 2016), core is probably the best. :sunglasses:

If youā€™re not familiar with it, the following thread will get you started. (This is a clickable link)

Thanks for the tip, but I canā€™t figure out how to get to the ā€œWait x minutesā€ partā€¦

Make sure you are using the latest version of CoRE, then at the action page, scroll all the way down

Thanks. Find the option now. It was user error on my part that I didnā€™t see this option.

Now I made 2 pistons, one to turn on the light with motion and one to turn off light when thereā€™s no motion. Is there a more intelligient way to make 1 piston for both one and off.

Also Initially I tried something like ā€œIf motion sensor was inactive for at least # minutes then turn light off.ā€ It didnā€™t seem to work even the If flag turned from FALSE to TRUE. What is the use of the was operator?