Newbie in need of guidance: multiple RGBW lighting projects. How can I do these?

Hello All,

I am new to the SmartThings(Home Automation in general) scene and was looking for some guidance towards my first projects. My current setup is:

Phillips Hue Hub w/ 2 white and 1 color bulb
2 Osram LED Strips
Harmony Hub
Google Home

I have a couple of projects I am interested in and was looking for some guidance feedback on how to accomplish them.

1. I was looking for a way to setup a “Christmas” sequence between a color strip and my light bulb. It would start with one being green and another being red and would then transition from red to green and vice versa.

2. A “goodmorning” sequence that will give me a brief weather rundown and then play music(pandora or youtube)

3. One of my light strips is behind my Television. Is there any way to sync my lightstrip to the sound from my soundbar through harmony?

Thanks Everyone!

Welcome!

1. There are multiple ways to do this, but at this point you’re going to get the most options if you just use core.
  1. are you talking about playing the music on the Google home or on your TV with the chrome cast or?

2. I don’t know of an easy way to do this with Osram Lightify, but maybe somebody else will.

If you have a Hue light strip attached to Hue bridge, there are a lot of apps that can do it, with hue disco for iOS being the most popular. :sunglasses::tada::bulb:

Hue Disco by iMakeStuff

You can fake it by setting up a harmony activity like “watch creepy movies”, having that turn on a virtual switch, and having the virtual switch start a core piston or other smart app that runs a particular lighting scene. But then the lights aren’t responding to the actual sound from the TV, you were just running a pre-programmed sequence. And for that sequence, again, core is probably the most straightforward choice for use with the Osram.

Other people may have other ideas, though, the community is very creative. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt response, that was awesome! Im going to dive into CoRe and see how far it goes.

For number 2, I was hoping to have the LED strip integrate with any sound from the TV. In hind sight, purchasing a hue light strip would be easier, but at this point I am just playing the hand I was dealt.

Thanks again!

1 Like

For syncing the LED strip with sound, take a look at setting up a equalizer display with the ESP8266/NodeMCU devices.

And there are plenty of posts here on setting up the esp8266 devices to integrate with SmartThings very easily. I have several setup to control an Attic Fan, LED Light Bars, and remote temperature sensors.