Newbie: First automation of Keen HVAC vent. Misc questions

I only noticed the vent’s pressure data today - that’s an interesting piece of info!

In contrast to the minimalist Getting Started section on ST website, the Developer section (is that called the IDE site?) seems to have a good bit of info and is well organized👍
But, I don’t think that’s where ST newbies would start out, right? I would think we might start by writing some simple automations, then maybe look at the actual code (Jelly, Jolly or whatever it’s called😸). Then again, maybe automations don’t show up in the IDE?

Keen vents are pretty much useless without yvesracine DTH! Just buy it, trust me. Opens the Keen vents up for automatons. I use webCore to control mine after installing yvesracine DTH.

Can you explain more the automation you are trying to create? What is it based on if the vent if your only device? Does the vent respond when you manually control it from either app?

1 Like

Yes, and the terms of services are indicated at my store.

I was manually pushing updates at that time via emails which was a lot of work. Now, people just need to get the new versions themselves via the download links at sellfy (my ecommerce server)…

1 Like

OK, thanks. I’m going to delete my post above then since it no longer applies. I appreciate the clarification. :sunglasses:

I am just trying to learn how to use ST, create a simple first “Hello world” automation etc. I tried creating an automation named “Turn Heat ON in Guest BR” - and all I wanted it to do was open the KEEN smart vent. I selected “Turn on these lights or switches” and pointed it to the KEEN vent. But now I’m thinking that ON does not translate to “open the louvers”. Instead, I think it turns the KEEN on/off - I guess essentially putting it to sleep? AND - I do not recall seeing it yesterday, but now I see an additional setting “Set dimmers to this level” which I can select from 10% to 100%. I imagine this translates to how much the louvers should open/close. I’m going to go test it now…

It worked - woo hoo! That’s the part I was missing (setting the dimmer percentage) :slight_smile:
So, does this automation translate into Groovy code somewhere (IDE?). I’m trying to fathom how one transitions from using these automations to writing their own code? I’m sure the automation must be getting translated/compiled into some form of underlying code?

WebCore is your answer. It’s an incredible powerful rules engine. Here is my basic vent control I use. When heat is on, open the living room vents and close the bedroom vents to 10%, reverse that when the air is on. And open all vents when idle or just the fan is on.

So do “automations” constructed using the older STC (Classic) app translate into any form of code I can look at, like the WebCore you mentioned? Is WebCore written in the Groovy language? Sorry, too many questions - I know :slight_smile:

It’s important to also know that in addition to the two completely separate apps (with everybody eventually going to transition to “smartthings (Samsung connect)”, Smartthings is also going to transition to an entirely different operational environment, and they are partway through that process.

The old platform used groovy running in the smartthings cloud. The new platform is not going to use groovy at all. Old code written in groovy will be supported for awhile, but they haven’t said for how long.

Webcore, Which is written in groovy, is essentially a scripting language for smartthings (developed by the community, not the company, but it does not run on the new platform. Instead, the original developer was hired by smart things and is working with an entirely new team to create an entirely new rules engine for the new platform.

Many community members in these forumm are completely unaware of these changes, so you’re going to get a lot of answers that refer to the old development environment but will not apply to the new one. Including webcore.

Just as with the new app, the new platform is only partially complete and a lot of stuff still missing.

So this is just a very complicated time to talk about any of the platform architecture.

I’ll clarify here. Groovy is the language device handlers (DTH) and smartapps are written in. You can create your own code for device handlers or write your own smartapps, or import ones created by members here. Once the code is imported and published, you do not need to edit them, other than updating it the creator updates.

Webcore is a smartapp you import through your IDE, publish, then install in the smartthings app. Once this is done and you go through the setup process, you then get access to a web based dashboard. This is where you write your code. It is a simple IF THIS THEN THAT rule engine but with DEEP control.

See HERE to get started with webCore. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

1 Like

There’s the FAQ for the smartthings classic app. It covers the built-in features plus writing your own code plus web core. But again this is all going to change pretty soon.

Just remember that this only applies to people using the smart things classic app, and many new folks will now be using “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)” app which has a completely different rules engine, no routines, and doesn’t support webcore. So when you talk to new folks, the first thing to find out is which version of the app they have.

1 Like

WOW - I guess I picked a poor time to buy into ST - oh well. But I’ll just keep dabbling with it. But sounds like no sense learning Groovy, writing WebCore code etc if they are in the process of migrating to something new…

I did just receive my Hubitat hub today - something else to play with :slight_smile: And, I know, it’s in its infancy - so have to expect issues and such…

1 Like

hi, im in the same situation, i received my hub yestarday and i was wondering after reading some post which app do i have to use:)

Good timing, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

check this out this post about the main difference between apps, i guess i will follow last recommendations from the gusy on that post!

2 Likes

@wb70 and @jkp are two community members who have been doing a deep dive into issues around the new apps, and can give very good advice on the specifics. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hubitat uses the same groovy variant that smartthings uses (it was founded by some power users from this community), So smart apps and custom device type handlers written for the old smartthings platform can be ported over there very easily. So you may have reason to learn yet. :wink:

2 Likes