New version of Ecobee thermostat APIs

Yes, it does as long as the temperature outside is cooler than inside or outdoor humidity is lower than inside.

Otherwise, you may want to modify the code to do a runIn with a delay to turn it off.

Bye.

Yves,

DO you think its possible to access the smart plugs without a thermostat? All I want is to access them going forward via smartthings to turn them on/off. Ecobee3 new UI doesnā€™t support them, so I am trying to get smartthings to support them directly via zigbee

Greg

Hello Greg, the smartplugs are using a different zigbee profile than smartthings, so itā€™s not possible to do it via smartthings: Smartthings uses the HA zigbee profile; Ecobee uses the Smart Energy profile (SEP)ā€¦

Sorryā€¦

Does anybody in this thread with an Ecobee3 that is running off the new web site know when the ā€œMy Appsā€ and the ā€œHome IQā€ will be launched? I see nothing about it anywhere and without the ā€œMy Appsā€ functionality, you cannot integrate with ST as far as I know.

I had a number of the Smart SI units on the old website with integration with ST but when I purchased a new Ecobee3 and switched all my thermostats over to the new one, they all went into the abyss with no way to third party integrate them as the My Apps was not implemented.

Any ideas what is going on? This is kind of disappointing to upgrade a unit and get less functionality.

@gwithers105,

A similar question was asked on the ecobeeā€™s developers forum. Please see ecobeeā€™s response below

http://developer.ecobee.com/api/topics/where-do-we-get-an-app-key

Regards.

Thanks Yves, I thought you might know

Just a FYI for those that had older thermostats, who perhaps purchased a new Ecobee3 and then moved all your thermostats to the new web interface once you had access to it. If you had a developer account (i.e. previous ST integration), then even though it says it will close your account when you remove all your thermostats, it will not if you have a developer account. This allows you to grab the API key and complete the process of adding the Ecobee thermostats back into ST even though the My Apps portion of the new website is currently not deployed. I was just able to do so. Works on the Si and the 3 thus far.

Hello @deliverer33, keep the first part of the smartapp definitionā€¦ Just do a paste over the preferences section and beyondā€¦

You need to leave the ā€˜metadataā€™ section at the beginning.

P.S. Iā€™m currently working on a My Ecobee Init smartapp that will simplify the whole authentication process (as the stock ST ecobee device).

If you have any further problems, I will let you try the new version. Youā€™ll be my first beta tester!!

Thank you for the quick reply. I figured that out shortly after I posted. So far itā€™s working great! Thank you for your efforts on Ecobee integration into ST.

Trying to use the init smartapp with my EMS and not having any luck. After I successfully authenticate/accept with my Ecobee credentials and select next to presumably select my thermostat, Iā€™m greeted with a blank page. Is this supposed to work with EMS thermostats? btw, the official ST Ecobee integration behaves the same way (blank page when trying to select my thermostat) which is why Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s the same issue.

@yvesracine Is there an app I can use to periodically turn my HRV on during the winter for ventilation purposes? For example 10 or 20 mins every hour. Iā€™m using your humidity app, however during the winter months it never turns the HRV on. Iā€™d like to use the HRV to cycle fresh air into the house with a schedule. Thanks!

@sgonsalves, Iā€™m on vacation with little access to the Internet. Iā€™ll be looking into it upon my return. Thnx.

@sgonsalves, there is a way to use my smartapp to do it with the latest ecobee3, but it seems that ecobee has not ported that feature to the other types of thermostats (smart, smart-si, ems)ā€¦ I will ask the ecobee support once more and let you know. Bye for now.

Hello @sgonsalves, please grab the latest My Ecobee Initā€™s code from

https://github.com/yracine/device-type.myecobee/blob/master/smartapps/My%20ecobee%20Init.groovy

As I donā€™t have an EMS thermostat, I cannot test it myself, but I believe the fix should work!

Let me know.

@sgonsalves, about the ventilatorMinOnTime feature, I submitted a question to ecobee support. Letā€™s see how they will respond.

See http://developer.ecobee.com/api/topics/ventilatorminontime-can-it-be-used-for-other-types-of-thermostats-than-ecobee3-ems-smart-smart-si?rfm=1

Regards.

Hello,

Im trying to program the FanMode to be ā€œONā€ between 6am-7am daily.
Any ideas on this? Should i create a whole new smart app just for this? Or is this in one of your smartapps already? I couldnā€™t find it

Meir

@olchame, I have been using this to turn on and off a thermostat fan like a switch in Actions. It may work for you or at least be a starting point for your own SmartApp.

@olchame, Iā€™d recommend to simply create a climate (program) at the ecobee portal for your use case. Youā€™d need to
set up a new program (ex. FanOn) and set it for the 6h00-7h00 am window with your temperature & fan settings.

Regards.

So, if i understand your correctly, go to the portal (ecobee app),
create a ā€œcomfort settingā€ that would turn the fan ON and set a temp (i.e., 70 degrees, FanOn) and call it ā€œFanOnā€

Then, Go to ā€œScheduleā€,
and add that comfort setting, ā€œFanOnā€, to start at 6am to 7amā€¦

The problem is that, I am not using the ecobee schedule, the fan/temp is being controlled on a custom mode based on whether Iā€™m home or not as well as the status of the smart things app.

ā€¦ sorry, maybe i am misunderstandingā€¦

@olchame, the custom program and schedule that you define via ecobee (whether is thru the ecobee portal ou the ecobee app) are not necessarily conflicting with the custom mode that you define in SmartThings.

Actually, for you use case, Iā€™d still recommend to create a custom program (i.e. FanOn), for the 6-7h00 am window and trigger the ecobeeā€™s Away Program (that you can customize in terms of temperature and fan settings) via ST when youā€™re not home. You can use the ecobeeChangeMode smartapp for this use case.

For the time youā€™re being home, just use the default Home, Sleep, Awake programs from ecobee to define your temp & fan settings at different times of the day.

If you want to resume your default program when youā€™re back home via ST, you can use the smartapp ecobeeResumeProg that I created.

That way, youā€™re taking advantage of SmartThings and Ecobeeā€™s scheduling without any conflict between the two systems.

Actually, thatā€™s the main advantage of using a smart thermostat like ecobee over a regular z-wave thermostat: you can still use the scheduling capabilities of the ecobee thermostat even though it is connected to a home automation system.

Regards.

P.S. Youā€™d need to use the custom Ecobee device that I created to use my smartappsā€¦

If you like the custom Ecobee device and related smartapps, please support the developer:

Donations via Paypal link

Regards.

Is there a way I can do this, from ecobee portal, IFTTT or ST?

I want to set the minimum fan run time per hour per comfort schedule. In other words, have different minimum settings for each comfort setting.

For example:

Awake: min fan run 5 minutes
Away: min fan run 5 minutes
Home: min fan run 10 minutes
Sleep: min fan run 25 minutes