New SmartThings App (No Routines?)

Yeah but then its just a long list of devices and feels unorganised, having them rememberer how far to scroll for a certain item.

Great if you only have a few, but in a house with 10 rooms and at least 5 devices per room gets a bit tiring.

Classic App has it just right, if I want all listed (things) I can, if I want to go by room I can do that too with very little effort.

2 Likes

Ha ha I was just commenting on the swiping part. :grinning:

1 Like

@oldcomputerwiz

From what I can see in STSC you just can’t, its list all, or forever swipe to get the room you want. #Long

2 Likes

Strange! When I select All Devices, I only scroll through the long page of rooms/devices and don’t have the ability to swipe between rooms.

And you do have to swipe on the list all too. I have 100+ devices in 16 rooms. The new app is hard to get around in. I have started making dashboard screens in sharptools.io in preparation of having to use the new interface.

1 Like

You are correct, I’m not swiping between rooms I’m swiping trying to find devices in a really long list. LOL. Too much swiping for me. :sweat: I really like the classic interface.

1 Like

Who knows, it is not a finished project so one can hold out hope there might be future changes.

Ha!Ha! Just kidding

1 Like

At the minimum, i hope they make the room order configurable in the new app. That way you don’t have to swipe forever to get to your most common rooms.

1 Like

LOL… you didn’t even have to say “Just Kidding” we knew that anyway :laughing:

Smartthings hasn’t listened to its customers / users for the last 3 maybe more years, now Samsung have taken control, there is no hope.

I like to be optimistic and positive and think that maybe one of the Smartthings team members read these and take a moment to digest it and say ‘DO you know what, they are right’ lets sort that out.
But Im better off playing the lottery :rofl: better odds.

They don’t tend to ever reply to anything that is a result of making it better.

Oh well.

2 Likes

Clearly not just me that hates it, maybe if a 1000 people moan, they might chance it.

I was going to say a couple of hundred, but that’s not enough people to be un happy with it for them to make a chance lol

1 Like

I’m more comfortable wtih the Classic app, but am using both to learn and get used to the new one. Routines and Scenes are kind of redundant, which may be why they got rid of Routines? You can create a “Good Night” or “Good Bye” scene and you can select which mode you’d like the scene to change to. Try adding a scene and you’ll see “Change this location’s mode” is one of the options after giving it a name. The problem that I’ve found is you can’t create new modes from the app (nor from the classic either since its last update awhile back). If you need to create a totally new mode, you have to log into your Smartthings Groovy IDE here: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/. From there you can select your location and then you have access to even more than what the app offers, including creating new modes.

The correct URL for folks to use is https://account.smartthings.com and not the graph.api URL that you posted.

I love the classic app, but as mentioned the lack of home monitor or routines makes the new app unusable. It also makes me wonder if the new app designers actually use smartthings…

New app has SHM and has Custom Automations, which are even more configurable than Routines.

1 Like

The problem with the new app in SHM is you cannot configure a custom rule. For instance if a door contact or a remote motion sensor is activated record from a camera. You have to set that up in the classic app. The app is also very slow to come up on my iPhone and iPad. The classic app comes up much faster. Landscape mode would also be nice for the iPad. The classic app works in landscape mode. I hope to see that sometime soon.

1 Like

February 2020, I had to install the new app. Then uninstalled it and went back to the SmartThings Classic app. The lack of routines, and the loss of the simple “My Home” table is ridiculous, and not a very smart thing for Samsung to do with SmartThings. I hope they are listening!

1 Like

This is very annoying. The classic app made me switch and had the annoying message to migrate. I noticed the routines went away, this is really a head scratcher because the widgets made it easier to execute routines without opening the app. I now would need to apply a scene to turn off all the light and then arm my security. In the calssic app I can hit good bye and it armed the alarm and turned off all the lights.

1 Like

I agree, I am not migrating over until the new app is improved. I have a smart app called Alexa Helper that allows me to perform routines via Alexa and with the new app that does not work. Also, not able to perform SHM actions via scenes is a huge fail (I like to have a scene perform goodnight, where it will turn all my lights off, switch my mode to night and arm my SHM, but no, guess it’s too much to ask for). They should have just kept routines instead of switching to Automations/Scenes and the lack of routines/Automations via new widgets is also a huge fail. I sent them many feedback and I get the usual “things will be ready before migration” blah blah and here is it, moment of truth and most of the functions/features I use daily do not work on the new app. Not happy at all. Don’t migrate over until you test everything because once you do, you can’t go back.

I’m also hugely disappointed that there will be no more updates on the classic app, where I’m sure many are still using due to the fact that the new app is not 100% ready/usable.

3 Likes

WebCoRE could execute a Piston based on a Classic App "Routine" executing. What’s the equivalent in the New App? I loved the ability to use Routines as “virtual button” because Routines did not take a device slot but Alexa could execute them. As I already have a high count of devices, I can not afford to make Virtual Switches or Buttons for every webCoRE Piston that I need to fire.

Thanks.

1 Like

Probably best asked in the webcore forum, as I believe there is an advanced method using the rest API, but it’s complicated and would just be confusing to most people.

I think you’ve already seen the new community FAQ on how routines became a combination of scenes and automations, but I’m going to put that link here for anybody else who findS this thread in the future.

There is a link a few posts down in the FAQ for an example piston on how to get webcore to run one of the new scenes. Since scenes can be widgets, that might help with what you are trying to do.

FAQ: How to Run Scenes and Automations (New V3 App) (2020)