New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

Connecting multiple Alexa accounts to the same SmartThings account can have unpredictable consequences and is not really supported. Has this worked for you in the past?

@Lars

Another huge hole.

It works for me with the old skill. It’s how my wife accesses the house. (my location) It has also been the recommended way for roomates.

Amazon recommends that multiple persons in the same household each have thier own accout and turn on voice profiles. If you do this connecting both accounts to SmartThings through thier own accounts is fhe only way to get it to work properly.

1 Like

I believe this had some bad consequences in the old integration too. e.g events would not be sent to all Alexa accounts and if one user unlinked all users would fail.
The safe way to solve this would be to share your SmartThings location to a unique SmartThings accounts for each user. Then each user would link their unique Amazon account to a unique SmartThings account.

Worked flawlessly for me with the old integration for 5+ years.

4 Likes

Is there ever going to be any accountability from the ST engineers or are they just going to keep telling the users what worked and what didn’t work with the old skill even though we have been the ones using the integration in the real world for several years? How about taking our word for what works and what doesn’t work instead of just disagreeing with us.

2 Likes

Smartthings started triggering Alexa routines again for me sometime late yesterday. I noticed it working at about 8:00 PM. Still seems to be working this morning. I am getting my announcements ie: “Back Door is Open” is working again. I also noticed faster response from Alexa voice commands this morning ie: “Alexa turn off the kitchen lights.” Looks like this issue may have been addressed.

2 Likes

Still not working for me

2 Likes

Some slow and intermittent behavior with Alexa routine triggering is back this afternoon.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure if it was “fixed fixed,” @Lars would tell us. So I’m guessing it’s still an intermittent problem. :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Same here.
I’m not sure if this “resolved indicident” refers to our problems

Issues with Device Control, Automation Execution…

No, that’s a different issue.

Suddenly all my routines are working again!! I hope this is not jus a temporary hick-up…

Is it safe to switch to the new skill…still holding off…afraid to make move…

1 Like

I wouldn’t until Lars lets us know the fixes have been applied.

I had Alexa discover devices yesterday when adding another skill. SmartThings seems to be behaving better after that.

2 Likes

We have been applying few fixes. More will be done in upcoming weeks.

~Shimpy

3 Likes

Not for me.

Thanks for the update Shimpy! For those struggling, how can we see if these fixes help us? Do a device discovery in Alexa?

2 Likes

I think Alexa routines not triggering should start working automatically. If devices are not being discovered, that would be something different.

[quote=“JDRoberts, post:536, topic:191101, full:true”]

I wonder why these problems with the SmartThings Skill don’t rate an Incident Report on the Status page…

3 Likes

That’s a good question, but it’s never been clear what went on the status page. Most known issues with the app itself don’t appear there. I don’t think there’s ever been one of the known issues with a device type handler, even a stock version. The current issue with temperature appearing as Celsius instead of Fahrenheit doesn’t appear there, and that doesn’t involve a third-party.

I’m not sure how they decide what does appear, or when.

1 Like